ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potentially Buying a 1.2 Authentique...

Cavalier Turbo 4x4
Evening folks

I'm going to look at a car for my sister tomorrow, a mk2 facelift 1.2 8v Authentique on a 51 plate.
I don't know the mileage or how much T&T it has yet... However the asking price is £2k.

What are the key things I need to look at on this car?
When are things like the timing belt service?
What things tend to break on these?

Did they ever sort that stupid bonnet problem that's been on Watchdog at least 32 times before Renault even acknowledged the issue?

I'm not particularly bothered about other models... Bare in mind this is for a 17 year old who's learning, as a 1st car! So no "Get the 16v, it's quicker" pish please...

Thanks! :D

Clio 182FF
IIRC belts are 36k or 5 years, which even comes first.

Pay the £10 and join the club - there's some cracking guides on here.

Stuff that tends to break:

coil pack/HT leads
electrics... if you're braking with the indicator on, and the rear fog dash light flashes, there's something wrong
everything rattles, that's normal though!
TDC sensors go at random times, £40 quid fix on 1.2s though

If you get a well looked-after one you'll be laughin!

Cavalier Turbo 4x4
Timing belt... 72K or 5 years, correct?

My mate's Dynamique had a coilpack go, he paid silly money at a dealer IIRC but how much are the packs from a motor factors or a mail-order supplier (e.g. for my Cav, I use Autovaux)?

I'll have a good look at the electrics...

Did these come with air-con? Not essential, just something else to check!

@Shadowsun When you say guides, is that just tech guides, or is there buying guides too? If she buys the car I'll advise her to join... I'm a paid member of VxON so I know the merits of joining car clubs.
What discounts and deals do you guys have?

Lots of Alfas
The 1.2 authentique is the most reliable clio there is, its the most basic spec one so there is nothing much that can go wrong with them. I used to have one from new and now my brother has it, its on 78k and not one thing has gone wrong with it. The cambelt and aux belt needs to be done at 72k, its not an expensive job. Check the service history, the head gasket on these engines tend to go around 120k.

Please bear in mind these cars are painfully slow, yet have good brakes, they are insurance group 2.

Cavalier Turbo 4x4
The 1.2 authentique is the most reliable clio there is, its the most basic spec one so there is nothing much that can go wrong with them. I used to have one from new and now my brother has it, its on 78k and not one thing has gone wrong with it. The cambelt and aux belt needs to be done at 72k, its not an expensive job. Check the service history, the head gasket on these engines tend to go around 120k.

Please bear in mind these cars are painfully slow, yet have good brakes, they are insurance group 2.

Cheers mate... I'm gonna think it's broken as the only thing I've driven for the last few months is my Turbo...:race:

O/T... Hinkley lad, eh? You may have seen either me or my mate about at times... He used to own an ex-RAC luminous orange Transit... I visit from time to time in my K-reg red Cavalier... lowered, Astra wheels, TUT at end of plate...

I'm well used to loose interior trim and dicky electrics, I drive a 15 year old Vauxhall... The insulation on the loom's starting to crack in places.... I've been chasing it with electrical tape for weeks! :banghead:

As said cambelt should have been done, its cheaper on the 8v's.

Common problems are:
Key faults -replacement key required
Rear exhaust mounts split/ perish
Anti roll bar bushes split/ perish
Coil packs go, I would just stick a new coil on it almost as a service item.
Throttle bodys sometimes requires cleaning/ replacing not normally on the 1.2's though.
TDC sensor fail causing non start
Air bag and SERV light come on together its normally the connector under the passengers seat, will need a wiring repair.
Exhausts are quite poor in general.

I think that covers it, good, cheap, reliable cars, I did 10k in my 1.2 16v in 10 months was a really good car and I didn't have one of the above issues.
If you get the timing belt done I would get them to stick a waterpump in at the same time, well worth it as they can leak too.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
id avoid the autentique crappy spec thats before you get to that terrible 8v engine and thats nothing to do with performance!! the 16v although bassed on the same engine is a big improvement not just in power as like you say its only for a 17yr old but ive found it more refined (if you can call it that) and more economical.

id be tempted with a dynamique for the better brakes,suspension and tyres thats again nothing to do with "going fast" but just safety in general. i know my girlfriend when she took a lower spec clio out in the wet noticed the difference straight away and shes just passed her test and doesnt drive quick. she hated it.

id be very tempted by a dci65 for her if i was you, £35 a year road tax against £115 or what ever the 1.2 is, 65mpg against 40mpg max from the 1.2 and similar insurance. i picked up a minter last year for £1800 in full dynamique spec

Cavalier Turbo 4x4
As said cambelt should have been done, its cheaper on the 8v's.

Common problems are:
Key faults -replacement key required
Rear exhaust mounts split/ perish
Anti roll bar bushes split/ perish
Coil packs go, I would just stick a new coil on it almost as a service item.
Throttle bodys sometimes requires cleaning/ replacing not normally on the 1.2's though.
TDC sensor fail causing non start
Air bag and SERV light come on together its normally the connector under the passengers seat, will need a wiring repair.
Exhausts are quite poor in general.

I think that covers it, good, cheap, reliable cars, I did 10k in my 1.2 16v in 10 months was a really good car and I didn't have one of the above issues.
If you get the timing belt done I would get them to stick a waterpump in at the same time, well worth it as they can leak too.

Not too much then... Bushes, sensors, exhaust mounts and coilpacks I can sort myself...

Cheers mate.

id avoid the autentique crappy spec thats before you get to that terrible 8v engine and thats nothing to do with performance!! the 16v although bassed on the same engine is a big improvement not just in power as like you say its only for a 17yr old but ive found it more refined (if you can call it that) and more economical.

id be tempted with a dynamique for the better brakes,suspension and tyres thats again nothing to do with "going fast" but just safety in general. i know my girlfriend when she took a lower spec clio out in the wet noticed the difference straight away and shes just passed her test and doesnt drive quick. she hated it.

id be very tempted by a dci65 for her if i was you, £35 a year road tax against £115 or what ever the 1.2 is, 65mpg against 40mpg max from the 1.2 and similar insurance. i picked up a minter last year for £1800 in full dynamique spec

Thanks, although, the only reason I asked TBH is she's seen this one she wants and I wanted to know if there was anything drastic that would make us walk away. :)