ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potential 172 Purchase

Clio 1.2 MtV + Madi
Hello

Been skulking round on here for a while, and have decided to buy myself a 172 for a daily :)

Went to view the most local 172 today, and noticed the forum sticker on the rear window :)

Now the dealer has told me that he has lost the service book, so can give me no information on the car at all.

Does anyone recognise the car????

media

Test drove it and loved it, but am worried at the lack of service history, as its 72,000 and no proof of belts etc

Thanks

Look forward to getting my 172 :)

Ollie

pimp mobile Zafira
You could offer a low amount taking into account no service history and no proof of belts etc being done.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
why waste your time on a car with no history when theres loads for sale that have good underpinning documentation-

pay your membership & have a browse on the classifieds theres loads of nice cars on here

S

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You could offer a low amount taking into account no service history and no proof of belts etc being done.

And then in 2000 miles time the bottom end goes because its been ran on tar like oil for the last 4 years....

I don't understand why people buy 'performance cars' with no history. Its financial suicide especially when there are hundreds and hundreds of 172's to choose from.

Clio 1.2 MtV + Madi
Yeah know what you mean
Just thought that because there was an owners club sticker someone might recognise it as a members car and shed some light on it's history

Have already contacted someone about a car via the site, so may well go down that route

What could i get for my £2500 maximum

Ollie

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Yeah know what you mean
Just thought that because there was an owners club sticker someone might recognise it as a members car and shed some light on it's history

Have already contacted someone about a car via the site, so may well go down that route

What could i get for my £2500 maximum

Ollie

A very nice 172 for that, even 182s can be had for that but not as nice.

Clio 1.2 MtV + Madi
Initially fancied a CUP
Although from looking I understand these don't have the leather and are slightly pricier to buy and insure.
Not sure I'll need a cup for winter driving and my drive to work, and prefer the leather seats.

Am open to suggestions though : )
Can u get the best of both?

MX-5
You're buying from a dealer, so you could negotiate a warranty if you're worried about the history. Like the others, though, I'd probably just look for another one that has the history. You should find plenty within 50 miles of your house, which ought to be 1 hour's drive max.

You could also contact a Renault dealer to see if their database can give you any history - dealers can usually access national records for dealer service.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You're buying from a dealer, so you could negotiate a warranty if you're worried about the history. Like the others, though, I'd probably just look for another one that has the history. You should find plenty within 50 miles of your house, which ought to be 1 hour's drive max.

You could also contact a Renault dealer to see if their database can give you any history - dealers can usually access national records for dealer service.

Renault don't do that. BMW/audi/VW etc all do it and its superb.

Back on topic....

OllieL, theres a 2004/04 plate 172 in the for sale section, looks proper tidy, 44,000 miles, History, a few mods etc. £2495.

Infinately better than that red thing.

If you paid £12 membership, you'll save that just in advice gained before you buy a car!

Clio 1.2 MtV + Madi
Great where is that ad??

Sounds fair to me : ).
Just hope it's not the other end of the country

Ollie

Daniel;8223358 [B said:
Renault don't do that[/B]. BMW/audi/VW etc all do it and its superb.

Back on topic....

OllieL, theres a 2004/04 plate 172 in the for sale section, looks proper tidy, 44,000 miles, History, a few mods etc. £2495.

Infinately better than that red thing.

If you paid £12 membership, you'll save that just in advice gained before you buy a car!

True, they can only tell you which dealership it was sent to when bought new

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Run a mile mate.

If its a flamer you want there is one is up for £2250 in the cars for sale section on here. Would take very little effort to put it back to standard. As the guys have said above, join up as a member and there are plenty to be had...

Clio 1.2 MtV + Madi
Found it, needs paint and isn't standard

Ideally I'm looking for a clean straight car with minimal modifications so it's as insurance friendly as possible. I'm a fan of the standard hidden exhaust or the 182 twins

Ollie

That was the silver. I'll look for the red now

Last edited: