ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible problem with gearbox?

Clio 1.4 16v 53'
Tonight I was driving home, in 5th gear and went to change down to 4th. When I did, instead of the usual silky-smooth change straight down to 4th, I hit resistance and had to go accross and down as I suspect you would normally. I have no problems going into 5th, just down to 4th. I changed as often as I could following this to make sure and it did the same thing each and every time. I have no problem moving to 4th in this way, it's just that I've never had to do this before.
I remember by driving instructor's car doing the same thing.
Should I be worried, or does something probably just need adjusting?
In my experience and everyone I've talked to in the past, gearboxes are only second to engines in expense :(.
Thanks

Clio 1.4 16v 53'
Talking to someone at work, this could be a problem with the spring that centers the gear lever again; sound plausible?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
my old 1.2 & PH1 track **** had a "guess that gear" game & the simple fix was - lift the gearbox gaitor & shoot liquid grease into the centre & let it all run down into the guides, give it 5 mins & job done, Luckly the my PH2 172 is still young so hopefully wont need any TLC like this for a while, if i remeber tomorrow i'll take some pics & put a quick guide up ;)

James

polo, here for lols
my old 1.2 & PH1 track **** had a "guess that gear" game & the simple fix was - lift the gearbox gaitor & shoot liquid grease into the centre & let it all run down into the guides, give it 5 mins & job done, Luckly the my PH2 172 is still young so hopefully wont need any TLC like this for a while, if i remeber tomorrow i'll take some pics & put a quick guide up ;)

James

i would quite like to see a guide as well please!!

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
is it ok going from 3rd to 4th?

have you tried slowing down more as you change from 5th to 4th?

could just be worn mesh on 4th.

Clutch in good order?

Clio 1.4 16v 53'
Yeah, it's fine going from 3rd to 4th.
I showed my dad today and he thinks it's as it should be; I remember my driving instructors car being the same.
I'll just have to be more careful changing down I guess.:(