ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible gearbox leak fix..... seems to work!

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
I was a bit fed up with the stupid leak, even the TND fix wasn't able to get it even reduced a little.
So as in my case it couldn't get much worse i decided to see if i could do anything to improve the design.
The two parts that you put arround the shaft are not rubber but hard plastic so it doesn't avually close all that well.
A small ammount of liquid gasket can overcome just that fraction of a mm where the oil is comming through.
The TND kit itself is needed to get this done!

What do you need :
* TND kit
* High temp liquid gasket
* Gearbox oil

What do you do :

Obviously you need to get the oil out.
Follow the instructions of the TND kit.
When you come down to clamping the plastic bits arround the two o rings.
This is where we begin with the modification.
Leave the shaft as it is do not clean it (needs to be a bit greasy!).

It should look like this at that point :
imgp2300-387dcdc.jpg

Put some liquid gasket arround the outher side and the inside on both parts (as marked)
Sorry my paint skillz suck :tongueout:
zirlg3.jpg

Then put these arround the o rings and jam them in!
Secure it with the metal clip and your done!
I waited 2 days before i filled the gearbox up, give it enough time to dry.
21ngu84.jpg

I have driven arround 50 miles now so far and no oil has come out, its not even sweating!
At first its very hard to get it in gear, but after you driven a bit it gets allot better very fast.
I don't know how it will work on the long run but it was worth a go :up:

Last edited:

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Good Effort Martijn. :up:. Can you update in a week or two and let us know how if you still have no leaks.

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
The kit is very easy to fit, but takes a bit of time due to the oil that has to be removed.
I have to drive 500km's this saturday to get the sunflower mapped by Henk so im able to give an update this weekend :wink:

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
I agree, without the sealant the kit was pretty much useless. Didn't improve at all.
Thats the reason i went for it, as it couldn't get much worse anyway.
We could only go up from there :up:

Ill post an update after it has been dyno'd and driven for 500km's this saturday :up:

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
R82 01 048 885 is the part number for the seal and bushes, and they're £15:33 + vat for the kit mate.
how hard are they to change with the box out, im about to remove mine to change the clutch, it weeps just a little but would like to fix it if its easy to do?

thanks again

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
how hard are they to change with the box out, im about to remove mine to change the clutch, it weeps just a little but would like to fix it if its easy to do?

thanks again
You need to open the box up mate to replace them, so if you've had experience of opening a box up, it's around 1hrs work.

renault megane
I was a bit fed up with the stupid leak, even the TND fix wasn't able to get it even reduced a little.
So as in my case it couldn't get much worse i decided to see if i could do anything to improve the design.
The two parts that you put arround the shaft are not rubber but hard plastic so it doesn't avually close all that well.
A small ammount of liquid gasket can overcome just that fraction of a mm where the oil is comming through.
The TND kit itself is needed to get this done!

What do you need :
* TND kit
* High temp liquid gasket
* Gearbox oil

What do you do :

Obviously you need to get the oil out.
Follow the instructions of the TND kit.
When you come down to clamping the plastic bits arround the two o rings.
This is where we begin with the modification.
Leave the shaft as it is do not clean it (needs to be a bit greasy!).

It should look like this at that point :
View attachment 1282992

Put some liquid gasket arround the outher side and the inside on both parts (as marked)
Sorry my paint skillz suck :tongueout:
View attachment 1282993

Then put these arround the o rings and jam them in!
Secure it with the metal clip and your done!
I waited 2 days before i filled the gearbox up, give it enough time to dry.
View attachment 1282994

I have driven arround 50 miles now so far and no oil has come out, its not even sweating!
At first its very hard to get it in gear, but after you driven a bit it gets allot better very fast.
I don't know how it will work on the long run but it was worth a go ?

Hay

I have read your presentation about the leak discovered on your clio (three years ago).
Sorry for my poor english because I am french.
I have the same problem as you on a Renault Megane dti.
Could you tell me if your solution has worked a long time.

Thank
Megane-dti
Email : rentt2@gmail.com

Clio 2
Hi,
i think most of you don't have your clio 2 anymore. I still own clio 2 1.2 16v with jb1 gearbox. I applied this method with high temperature silicone seal and actually it works. I drov 100km and there is not even a drop of oil coming from Selector end. "BUT" it is very very hard and difficult to shift it was a nightmare, after applying grease to the Selector end it is now shift very smooth. Thanks for help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230712_211337_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230712_211337_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Hi,
i think most of you don't have your clio 2 anymore. I still own clio 2 1.2 16v with jb1 gearbox. I applied this method with high temperature silicone seal and actually it works. I drov 100km and there is not even a drop of oil coming from Selector end. "BUT" it is very very hard and difficult to shift it was a nightmare, after applying grease to the Selector end it is now shift very smooth. Thanks for help

Eh?