ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible Gearbox failure...?

GRitch

ClioSport Club Member
  Polo BlueGT
Ok, I notced my driveshaft was failing a while ago and I've been really lazy to get it replaced. Having recently purchased the new driveshaft my intentions were to sort it this weekend. However I took it to my mechanic as it's now started juddering in the gearbox area(?) when accelerating heavily. its making a knocking/clunking noise, not sure if that's signs of gearbox failure or just an absolutely ruined driveshaft?
Any help would be muchly appreciated. Dont want to have to replace the gearbox :(
It's a 1.2 16v "extreme"
Thanks

GRitch

ClioSport Club Member
  Polo BlueGT
only in one direction, when turning towards left (would stretch the driveshaft?) its slightly noisier and when turning towards right slightly quieting the noise. Gearbox felt the same as normal but was assured its it?

Ph2 172
I'd definatly change the driveshaft first. Unless it's not changing gear properly. Might be worth seeing if there's any holes in the cv boots (if you haven't already) or if there's an play in the shaft.

GRitch

ClioSport Club Member
  Polo BlueGT
I know there's only slight play in the shaft, I'm well aware its doomed. I will replace it and hope for the best just thought i'd get some others' experience about gearbox failure...? Thanks for the help man.

Ph2 172
Yeah can't help with gearbox failure. I had a driveshaft go though and it sounds alot like that! There's hope yet! Good luck mate

GRitch

ClioSport Club Member
  Polo BlueGT
Cheers for the help man. Will hopefully be able to update by tomorrow. If not. I'll have a massive car parts and body work for sale thread :p