ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Port Forwarding - NAS Drive - VM SH2

Skoda Fabia vRS
Ive got a Synology NAS drive, and the QuickConnect feature is piss poor, it doesnt always work so i cant rely on it, if i want to connect to my NAS away from home can anyone help me set it up ?

Ive set a static IP for the NAS, ive been into the port forwarding section of my VM SH2 and set 5000-5001 open for DSM but on every check ive tried online the port is still closed, and when i try my IP from my mobile nothing happens ?

Its driving me mental, i dont really know what im doing tbh, my networking knowledge is minimal

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
sounds like you have done most things needed. General rundown of things to do are:

1. forward required ports on router to NAS ip address (both udp and tcp)
2. make sure the firewall on the router isnt blocking the forwarding rule
3. make sure the nas firewall is configured to allow connections from WAN connections
4. use canyouseeme.org to see if the port is open and if anything is listening on the port

If the port isn't showing as open, it could be that your ISP has blocked the port. Its unusual these days but possible. if your nas box runs a web interface on port 80, try forwarding this port on the router to the nas box and then try canouseme.org again on port 80.

Skoda Fabia vRS
sounds like you have done most things needed. General rundown of things to do are:

1. forward required ports on router to NAS ip address (both udp and tcp)
2. make sure the firewall on the router isnt blocking the forwarding rule
3. make sure the nas firewall is configured to allow connections from WAN connections
4. use canyouseeme.org to see if the port is open and if anything is listening on the port

If the port isn't showing as open, it could be that your ISP has blocked the port. Its unusual these days but possible. if your nas box runs a web interface on port 80, try forwarding this port on the router to the nas box and then try canouseme.org again on port 80.

1. done
2. ive turned the router firewall off to see if that worked
3. pretty sure ive set it all up on the NAS to allow it
4. just times out

Skoda Fabia vRS
found my dusty old tplink router on the floor at the back of some drawers, plugged that in, put the SH2 into modem mode, guess what, port forwarding works flawlessly on that !

is my SH2 faulty in some way or is it just rubbish ?

Skoda Fabia vRS
and today its decided it doesn't want to work lol

oh well, ill be on a different router in 3 weeks time anyways, BT HH4, see how that copes

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
I'd bin that too, I went with a Netgear N600 (a couple of years old now). On the WiFi I give myself a high bandwidth and the woman half bandwidth :laughing:. XBOX, NAS, WDTV, TV are all hardwired (Gigabit).