ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poorly Cup.... Drive Shaft Maybe????

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Hi all,

The Cup deleloped a bit of an issue last night on my way down the M1.

Driving 'Normally' the car is fine but if I accelerate the whole car is shaking (As if a wheel is not balanced).

The Engine mounts are new (Well fitted about 4 months ago K-Tec uprated), I dont think I have lost a Wheel Weight, as the car is fine unless accelerating.

Could it be a Drive Shaft? How would I check if it was?

Any other suggestions?

Having just posted in your other thread, i've now seen this.
Could be the engine misfiring under acceleration causing the car to shake?

I have noticed a tendency under very slight acceleration for the 172 to shake immediately after a cold start, I put this to a sensor of some sort.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
No Its 110% Not a Missfire

Its feels like an unbalanced wheel but only when the car is under load... i can happily cruise at 60/70/80 as long as I am not accelerating but the moment my foot goes down it feels like a small earth quake is trying to shake the car to bits.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
When this happened to me I assumed and was told drive shaft..... turns out I'd snapped the top engine mount bracket (the cambelt cover) and it was being held on by one bolt.

Give that a quick check if you haven't already. Identical symptoms.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Will check the Top Mount after work to be sure... Although with it being teh Uprated Mount and only 3/4 months old I cant see it being that.

Its booked in with Renault Watford tomorrow morning 1st thing for a check up anyway :)

I dont recall hitting any Pot holes but I am wondering if its a fractured/bent alloy now... Just seems strange that it only occurs under load.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
You may have snapped the bolts though. Even though they look like they're still there, they could just be hanging loose. Mine were.

Ah got ya... TBH the car does get 'used' rather than just pootling about at 20mph, So its possible.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Well still not got to the bottom of this, so far have ruled out the following-

Nearside driveshaft
Offside driveshaft
Wheels have been balanced
Discs have been balanced

New clutch going in tomorrow to see if that helps.

Properly loosing heart for the car now and unless the issue can be found shortly I think I'm going to have to call it quits and break it for parts and look for another car :(

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Have you looked at the engine mount,it's not on your list.

Ill check with the JMS Boys and see :)

Might be worth noting that the vibration can only be felt when the wheels are under load, as the car has been run up to 90mph on the ramps and the car does not vibrate !

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Pointless doing on ramps imo as the car is not working.

It was more to see if the Vibration was there.... It wasnt LOL

So shafts fitted and test driven
Wheels balance checked
Disk balance check

Test Driven inbetween and still shakes more than a Crack Addict looking for his next fix :(

Just waiting for an update on the Clutch to see if thats helped!

Agency Transmissions said they have not heard of this issue with Gearbox's so dont think its box related... Proper odd one!

Clio 172 cup
Sounds like it could be upper gearbox mount or a split broken battery tray,

How much movement is there in the engine??

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Sounds like it could be upper gearbox mount or a split broken battery tray,

How much movement is there in the engine??

Off the top of my head very little (it's on 6 month old uprated mounts I purchased from ktec)

The whole car is massively shaking when you accelerate from 50mph up!

I have faith in JMS it's just proving to be very odd and not a simple easy to spot issue I hoped it was :(

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Well the Clutch didnt help :(

List of checks so far:

Engine Mounts - All Ok
Both Drive Shafts - All Ok
Wheel Balance - All Ok
Brake Rotas - All Ok
Clutch - New
Fly Wheel - Visually all ok and all Dowls Present

Anyone got any other ideas? Its Torque related thats all we know !

george 172,205,metro
engine mounts shafts worst case diff issue?
best way is to swap bits off other cars without the problem till u hit it, long method but worst case.
how did u test the shafts?
and do u know anyone u can borrow a pair off to try?

peugeot 106
Thanks Jonny,
It's in 2mrw at 2pm for a check.

2 other garages have said drive shaft, or gear box coupler. <- I am looking at what the right term is atm :)

I'll hopefully know more tomorrow and report back

Cheers

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Sorry mate only just seen this.

Yes I found out what mine was, I had killed the diff in the gearbox!

Hard to tell from the vids if its the same but your car shakes as much as mine did! if it stops when you knock the car into neutral then I would say its the box.

Mine only shook when accelerating, if I got to say 50mph and just 'held' the speed the car was fine, as soon as I went back on the gas it shook its tits off again.

peugeot 106
Thanks J
Yup, that's what mines doing...calm as anything without the gas, slight touch at 55 mph & off it goes :)
Looks like I'll keep it till it croaks, and then get another car for £450 (as other things need doing)
Cheers
Liam

peugeot 106
well, brought it in today,
and the verdict is a slightly worn wheel bearing & some play in the driveshafts towards the engine side.

Thankfully, it is not dangerous, so I can keep driving till something falls off :)

I've had a look and the battery was loose, so have tightened that up.

The shudder seems better atm, but it comes and goes, so time will tell.

Cheers all
Liam