ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

poor mpg and running

clio 182
hi guys im only getting around 28mpg no matter how i drive my 182. is this normal or should i be seeing more??

friend of my has told me to change oil and filter and do the spark plugs and ht leads as all are due.

any help would be great. cheers

clio 182
i know the ht leads deffo need changing as having trouble now and then starting and when the guy i know did my belts he said they where in need of changing. car has only done 35k and i dont drive fast. my mate has a 182 and is getting at least 35mpg

n/a
mine does 28/29 while driving below 2000 revs and like a grandma i have done a full service in march but still the same :S i dont understand how people say they get 35/38 is this in the city? or motorway

clio 182
think im going to change the plugs and leads and get the oil sorted as its bout due the service anyway and go from there. ecu light has just decided to light up aswell so going well so far lol

clio 182
sometimes i get a bit of a weird smell in the car if i put my foot down would this be the cat?? would explain the ecu light im guessing?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
mine does 28/29 while driving below 2000 revs and like a grandma i have done a full service in march but still the same :S i dont understand how people say they get 35/38 is this in the city? or motorway

Mines sat on 33mpg atm, and anyone that's follwed me can vouch i don't drive it slowly ;)

Evo 6, E92 320d

I'm getting 41mpg ;) mostly b road driving.

sometimes i get a bit of a weird smell in the car if i put my foot down would this be the cat?? would explain the ecu light im guessing?

Do you mean the emissions light? If so that'd probably be a faulty lambada(sure that's the right spelling :S) sensor then.

Mines sat on 33mpg atm, and anyone that's follwed me can vouch i don't drive it slowly ;)

Mine sits around that figure too and most of my driving avoids motorways most of the time and I also don't drive slowly :cool:

corsa ecoflex
not sure mate but mine does the same and ive changed the oil,plugs and leads and it still only hits 30mpg all on a and b roads

Golf GTD Mk7

Thats crap mate. You should get it looked at. I used to get 40-43mpg when driving like a granny and motorway. You overfueling?

n/a
Thats crap mate. You should get it looked at. I used to get 40-43mpg when driving like a granny and motorway. You overfueling?
i dont do motorway at all mate its jus main city driving:dead: i love the car to bits but dont wana sell cus of this but i will if it dont get solved i will. i been to my mechanic and he says everything seems ok:dapprove:

clio 182
mines standard. my mate was behind me the other week and when i hit around 5k revs in 2nd he reckoned a bit off smoke came from the exhaust and reckoned that it smelt of petrol?? dont know if that makes any difference or wether its normal??? doesnt do it any other time only when u really boot the car. switched to v power and still getting bout the same mpg

Titanium 182
I get 28mpg if I'm enthusiatic, If I'm carefull at the end of a tank MPG reads 32mpg max.

It's all inner city driving though.

clio 182
i put bout £40 petrol in the other day and that filled my tank. just hit half way on my gauge and only done 80miles. dont know if that seems right to you guys??

n/a
exactly the same as above ^^ i even tried that redex sh*te and always run it on vpower cus it makes the diference.

clio 182
tried redex and didnt get much luck. swapped to v power hoping for a difference but it seems to be using more. not too sure how tho lol

n/a
adam i feel ur pain matey LOL im soo glad you started this thread hopefully some kind sweet sexy generous person will know what it is ;)

clio 182
iv got the week off work so im just going to try giving it a service. cant hurt to try that and plus its the cheapest option to start with. hopefully get some joy from that

Clio 182 with cup kits
absolutely gonna be your lambda sensor mate can get bosh one for about £50. It's the one before the cat. Could be the cat but change the sensor first.

Clio 200 LY/SV650S
keep this thread going as I'm in a clio 1.1 and only getting 28mpg 32 tops :|
Changed oil/sparks/MAP or MAF sensor w/e u call it/redex but not done lambda and still getting low figures

clio 182
how you getting that low on a 1.1. most people i know with 1.2s are getting alot more than that. think they easily get around 38-40ish mpg

n/a
i did the full whack service mate wen i bought it so no difference n that front. is the lambda sensor easy to change?

n/a
i actually jus did a diagnostic 2 weeks ago mate and all that needed doing was the brake sensor and nnothing else came up. how much u buy ur diagnostic for?

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Daft as it sounds Iv had 2 clio 172's, first one at first returned 38mpg, but suddenly dropped to 29..... changed the tyres and kept em perfect pressure and it shot back up!
One iv got now refuses to deliver decent mpg unless i use sainsburys super plus!

Check your tyre pressures - that worked for me on my first one :)

182 Full of Fat
In the same boat mate. No matter how I drive I can't get a return greater than 27/28mpg, if I do give it some it goes anywhere as low as 19/20. It's putting me off driving it now because I've put £95 of fuel in since last Tuesday.
My exhaust is blowing from the Mani/cat joint but surely that can't affect it that much?

Cheanged all filters, oil, tyre pressures, redex, v power and still nothing. Stuck on what else to change now. (just waiting on the exhaust kit from ktec but I can't imagine that making too much of a difference.)

Evo 8 MR
In the same boat mate. No matter how I drive I can't get a return greater than 27/28mpg, if I do give it some it goes anywhere as low as 19/20. It's putting me off driving it now because I've put £95 of fuel in since last Tuesday.
My exhaust is blowing from the Mani/cat joint but surely that can't affect it that much?

Cheanged all filters, oil, tyre pressures, redex, v power and still nothing. Stuck on what else to change now. (just waiting on the exhaust kit from ktec but I can't imagine that making too much of a difference.)

Want a bet?

Try 21mpg!

Decat will fix that though. Sack paying for welding on the standard rusted to s**t cat.

RS Clio 182
mines returning about 28mpg to but my emission light has come on, performance hasnt changed, when i manage to get a day off work and get it on a diagnostic computer ill let you know if its the lambda sensor and if it increases my mpg,

182 Full of Fat
Is a faulty lambda sensor a common problem then?
Anyone here who has had a new one and it has increased mpg? That's the only thing left I can think of to change tbh...

172, BMW 120 Msport.
Never look at mpg, just top it up when it gets low lol. Its a 2.0 172, Hardly gunna be mint on fuel so i really couldnt care less lol.

I only get 30mpg in my van. But i thrash the tits off that daily.