ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

POLL: ESP On or Off / 182

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 18 April 2005

off!, its ghey

Notice the two KEY words there.

Turn it off.

Coming soon, cliosport guide for 172/182 owners on how to turn the ESP off (with pictures dont fret)

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 18 April 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 18 April 2005

off!, its ghey

Notice the two KEY words there.

Turn it off.

Coming soon, cliosport guide for 172/182 owners on how to turn the ESP off (with pictures dont fret)

Agreed.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I dont get it! you buy a 182 for its abilities, and then put a (badly programmed) computer in charge of what you do.

Esp wont save you, it will try to slow the car in a way you wont expect.

Why do people have it on? Are you not confident?

Silver Fabia vRS

I leave it on most of the time but turn it off if having a blast. I just wish it didnt turn itself back on everytime you turn the engine on.

Clio 197

^^ Tom

ESP saved my ass on a motorway: Something fell off a lorry and my instant reaction was to brake and swerve.:oops:

The back end would have stood out and sent me towards the barrier had ESP not been on.

Sometimes, you just cant help but react.

Track days are good to re-program those reactions.:devilish:

Quote: Originally posted by geoff_clio182 on 18 April 2005

I leave it on most of the time but turn it off if having a blast. I just wish it didnt turn itself back on everytime you turn the engine on.
Stupid question:- when the orange ESP light is on the dash does this mean its on or off?

S1 Elise 111S

Ive been driving with it off for a while now (3 months or so) as i began to find it making the car very edgy, nearly caused a few offs by unsettling the car mid corner!!! much more predictable with it off!

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 18 April 2005

I dont get it! you buy a 182 for its abilities, and then put a (badly programmed) computer in charge of what you do.

Esp wont save you, it will try to slow the car in a way you wont expect.

Why do people have it on? Are you not confident?

because its there and its on by default... in normal driving you dont notice it and normal driving is what most people do normally

Im very confident in my driving but turning the ESP off is not something I do everytime I get in the car.

On.

You shouldnt be pushing your car that hard on public roads to make the ESP interfere to that degree IMO.

Clio 182

On.

Only been off three times:

Heyford track/training day
Randomly came on one night when my dashboard lit up and that, for some reason, stayed off when I restarted the car.
Accidentally must have knocked it off whilst playing with cruise control the first time.

Having been shown the difference in the cars handling whilst driving round a tight roundabout with it on then off, I am happier with it on.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Usually On on the road, I like having the flicker of the orange warning light to remind me to cool it a bit :p

But most definately OFF on the track.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by specialK on 18 April 2005

you still in the desert?
LOL, no, back in the UK, flew in last night and am now back at work, god I missing sipping cocktails in the pool!

No 182s in Dubai, although a lot of other european cars.

if i remember i have it off, unless its wet then on. it mucks ur corner speed up if you wanna go for it on a tight bend, I like to get the car a bit outta shape sometimes...thats half the fun aint it?!

Im sure some of it is in the imagination, but ESP just seems to dull the edge of the blade for me. I also find myself showing the car a lot more respect with it turned off.

I want to learn to drive the car, not get used to a computer driving it for me. In the last few days Ive had one or two scary moments - they were times when I know the ESP would have kicked in, and to honest I enjoyed having to react and hold it all together myself.

Having the car out of shape and on the limit without ESP felt better than how ESP would have interevned - if that makes sense.

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

on....orange light on the dash is far too annoying....:p....besides 85% of my driving is motorway so how much fun could i have everyday....