ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Polished lip on rims - how to refurb?

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Hey guys! I have some old renault rims that I plan to put on my car within the next few weeks to start of my aim of a euro'ish style :)

Basically the rims have a polished lip and one of them is pretty scratched, shown below, specifically the left hand side.. Sorry for the woeful picture, I haven't had the time to take some good ones because of my a levels at the moment :(

th_DSCN1523-1.jpg

Is there any way I could refurb this myself with materials from my local motor factors or something? I wouldn't mind having a go myself instead of going to a alloy refurb shop.

Sand it back to bare metal, work down through the grades getting finer and finer then polish it up. Will take a LONG time doing it by hand though. A lot of that looks like corrosion to me which will be a reet pain the arse.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Well my exams finish this tuesday so I will have plenty of time to have a go at it!

Any recommendations on grades to use, polish or any other handy tools?

Have a look at the guide for polishing the inlet plenums that'll give you and indication on what you need to do.

Best tip is start with a fine grit, say 800 grit used wet, if that doesn't take them out go a bit harsher. Saves going at it with something coarse as hell and getting scratches in it you can't take out.

Dodgy one
I'd rag the corrosion off with 180 grit possibly down to 80 if its really bad

then work up 320, 500 onto 1000 etc

When you start getting up to 1500 stick the wheel on the front of the car with the car on axle stands and run the engine in gear, just keep the wheel wet and use wet and dry paper once youve got up to say 3000 grip crack out some G3 and start working that in to bring a shine

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
@ Rich - Thanks for your advice!

Ill grab supplies this week and get started on them at the weekend and I'll post up my progress to let yous know I get on! Hopefully the bit of corrosion won't be too stubborn to get rid off!

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
LOL Mexican way of polishing... interesting ;) I maybe give it a go if the frustration becomes too much :cool: