ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PMS Gear Linkage rattle

Clio 172 (CUP)
Just a quick note to all that we are looking into solving this problem and have had some positive results from some testing today - we will keep you posted.
Any update on your progress. I finally got mine back on the road the other day and I have the same symptom. I was in the first group buy. Cheers

RS172 PH1
Looking at buying one of these soon so wondering if PMS has any updates on the rattle situation? I'm running solid mounts so expecting to get a bit of rattle with this fitted.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
Far simpler way to achieve the same result buddy...

Undo the bolt on top of the shifter, make a thin spacer (3-4mm) out of any kind of stout rubber hosing, put int he top of the gearknob for extra preload on the spring. Add a lttle moly/copper grease to the spring. Reassemble. No bungee cords etc, lots of preload on the spring.

Sorry for the delay guys, here are my attemps with detailed pix :cool:

Attempt 1:
6se1q8.jpg

a1j1jl.jpg

Results :
It reduced the rattle quite a bit. But i felt a better result was achievable.

Attempt 2 :
34e92zb.jpg

2h2i6w3.jpg

15hbyqd.jpg

Results :
I haven't driven it 5 miles with this fix yet, but already i can say this is going to be a better solution than the one above.
The trick is to get more force horizontally on this exact point. With the first attempt it didn't have enough force, but it reduced the rattle quite a bit.
This way you are able to adjust the strenght with the elastic AND the cable binder. Better to tweak it just like you want.
In 1st/2nd/3rd/4th there is very slight to no significant force, only in 5th (cruising speed) will it be most effective (which for me was the most annoying).

Ill post the results for a long run tomorrow :smile:

Clio 182 FF
I don't think the issue is the spring though, I have tried driving the car without the spring or reverse sleeve on and it still rattles. I have now fitted springs tensioning the shifter and the rattle is minimal, (especially in 5th, which is all I care about)

Clio 172 (CUP)
I don't think the issue is the spring though, I have tried driving the car without the spring or reverse sleeve on and it still rattles. I have now fitted springs tensioning the shifter and the rattle is minimal, (especially in 5th, which is all I care about)
I spoke to PMS some time ago, they were on the verge of releasing an additional part at cost that reduces the vibration (some sort of bolt on weight at the gearbox end). Give em a ring.