ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PMS Gear Linkage rattle

Clio 182 FF
I have had the whole sleeve and knob off, it is not that it still happens. I believe it is the bearing/olive about where the gear stick pivots that is rattling

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Well i gave fixing the rattling a go and managed to reduce it quite a bit.
But the fix had to be "stealth" and not visibly noticeable and offcourse not stress the gear linkage ;)
This is my first go and the rattling went down about 80%.
And i know exactly how to get it closer to the 100% mark :D

here is a preview :
30219mq.jpg

2hzlquc.jpg

I will post some more detailed pix later :).

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Is that elastic I'm guessing? If so where/how is it fixed to?
Also is that not putting unneeded stress on the gearbox?

Yep thats elastic, and no it isn't putting stress on the gearbox if i have done my math right :cool:
Its only realy putting pressure down, but that is covered by the bearing in the housing itself.
It requires a bit more effort to put it in reverse (logically as the elastic wants to pull it down).
Its fixed to two points that every 1*2*3 has, will make more pix later.

Thats the location where the rattle comes from, if this works i can perfect it even more.
I already have a plan to get the same effect without it looking this "sloppy" :D

Last edited:
  Clio 182 FF
Yeh, transforms the gearshift and make the driving experience far more special. Makes you feel like a touring car driver whenever you pull another gear.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
After looking at that picture, it gave me an idea.
the shaft is only held down by a spring and it is resting onto a metal nut so at 60+ mph the vibrations are probably allowing it to move up and down on the face of the nut causing the rattle, and it can be stopped by resting a hand onto of the gear knob with hardly any pressure.
so today I have got some sticky backed foam about 1mm thick and stuck it to the top of the nut so the reverse sleeve is not having metal to metal contact now.

Don't know if it works or not because I can not be bothered getting the car out the garage .
I put the foam in the place marked in the picture
untitled_zpsb09d39eb.png

Clio 182 FF
M.C. This won't solve all of the problems as this is what I thought it was at first but after doing a little trial and error found that the rattle is still very much present without the lift up reverse sleeve fitted.

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Its defintately an improvement but when you get to 110+ it will rattle allot none the less.
In my experience its only realy annoying cruising in 5th at 80-90 mph and the elastic band helped out allot there.
I will make the last changes today and give you guys the results / pix.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
as long as it stops or reduces the rattle at speeds around 70 that's fine as it only annoys me when I am driving to the track, it can make as much noise as it wants when I am on the track I don't care

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Sorry for the delay guys, here are my attemps with detailed pix :cool:

Attempt 1:
6se1q8.jpg

a1j1jl.jpg

Results :
It reduced the rattle quite a bit. But i felt a better result was achievable.

Attempt 2 :
34e92zb.jpg

2h2i6w3.jpg

15hbyqd.jpg

Results :
I haven't driven it 5 miles with this fix yet, but already i can say this is going to be a better solution than the one above.
The trick is to get more force horizontally on this exact point. With the first attempt it didn't have enough force, but it reduced the rattle quite a bit.
This way you are able to adjust the strenght with the elastic AND the cable binder. Better to tweak it just like you want.
In 1st/2nd/3rd/4th there is very slight to no significant force, only in 5th (cruising speed) will it be most effective (which for me was the most annoying).

Ill post the results for a long run tomorrow :)

Last edited:
  MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
It will not last long probably, but this "fix" is still in "Beta" stage :p
I wanted to use a small spring and a clamp but the only small spring i had was a tad to small.

If this actually works like i think its going to work those are the next things i will replace the elastic with :clap:

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Well i just drove about 50miles with speeds up to 110mph :eek:
This last fix is working really well i would say about 95% of the rattle is gone now :)

Cruising at 80-90 mph its dead silent now !

Cup In bits
Sorry for the delay guys, here are my attemps with detailed pix :cool:

Attempt 1:
;)

Results :
It reduced the rattle quite a bit. But i felt a better result was achievable.

Attempt 2 :

Results :
I haven't driven it 5 miles with this fix yet, but already i can say this is going to be a better solution than the one above.
The trick is to get more force horizontally on this exact point. With the first attempt it didn't have enough force, but it reduced the rattle quite a bit.
This way you are able to adjust the strenght with the elastic AND the cable binder. Better to tweak it just like you want.
In 1st/2nd/3rd/4th there is very slight to no significant force, only in 5th (cruising speed) will it be most effective (which for me was the most annoying).

Ill post the results for a long run tomorrow :)

BEJUSUS........ Engineer you're not

Cup In bits
Its the reverse lock sleeve that rattles against the gearstick. You want the reverse lock sleeve machined internally for an o-ring top and bottom and a rubber washer put on the bottom of the sleeve to stop them contacting each other. Hold the reverse lock sleeve while driving and it won't do it anymore.

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
BEJUSUS........ Engineer you're not

Nope never said i was ..... :eek: i am just looking for an easy fix with normal parts that everybody should have access to.
This works fine for me and is fully covered by the cover itself (nobody can see it anyway).
Not everybody has access to a machine shop to remachine it .....

But note to Pure motorsport to try your "fix".

Trophy Turbo :)
I've fitted the pms solid engine mounts ( there stiff ) and while my car was on the ramp I could hear this bloody rattle.... its acshally the part that goes from the bearing to the box it's self that rattles and vibrates up. As soon as I touched it it stopped! !

So the vibration rattle is the part on the box it's self that vibrates all the way up the stick :).

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Its the reverse lock sleeve that rattles against the gearstick. You want the reverse lock sleeve machined internally for an o-ring top and bottom and a rubber washer put on the bottom of the sleeve to stop them contacting each other. Hold the reverse lock sleeve while driving and it won't do it anymore.

If you take it apart you'll see that the reverse lock sleeve is machined internally with an o-ring top and bottom! Putting a washer in the bottom makes no difference as we've tried already!

Cup In bits
If you take it apart you'll see that the reverse lock sleeve is machined internally with an o-ring top and bottom! Putting a washer in the bottom makes no difference as we've tried already!

Mine doesn't Nick, it was one of the initial kits from the group buy. Any roads it doesn't bother me as its for my race car, I was just commenting on places I could see improvement from my version. The plastic gearknob is another point I noticed it contacted, maybe a larger ID on the knob would help too. I think it needs a lot of little adjustments to get it there (no vibration) which I believe you's improve on every kit you send out anyway.

Speaking of my gearstick personally, if I remove the reverse lock sleeve all together I have no problems with vibration which would point towards that being the issue.

It's not actually the sleeve that's rattling either. I fitted one to a mates car on Sunday and we spent ages working it what the rattle is. Actually took the reverse sleeve off, and it still rattles. It's harmonics from the engine echoing up the tube IMO.

Clio 172 phase 1
Mine rattles only at over 70mph on the motorway ive got the red vibratechinics mounts so everything rattles ... as im not racing on the motorway just j,c ing along i rest my hand against the lever and boom no rattle..... just like to push that it is a motorsport prodouct .....

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Mine doesn't Nick, it was one of the initial kits from the group buy. Any roads it doesn't bother me as its for my race car, I was just commenting on places I could see improvement from my version. The plastic gearknob is another point I noticed it contacted, maybe a larger ID on the knob would help too. I think it needs a lot of little adjustments to get it there (no vibration) which I believe you's improve on every kit you send out anyway.

Speaking of my gearstick personally, if I remove the reverse lock sleeve all together I have no problems with vibration which would point towards that being the issue.

Oh really, I don't remember doing any without O-rings but I have slept since then and I think I get formatted every night.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
It's not the reverse on mine either. It's a bearing wearing in somewhere as mine didn't do it brand new but after couple of k it started

Doesn't bother me though as track car and earphones in on trips to /from track :)

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Just a quick note to all that we are looking into solving this problem and have had some positive results from some testing today - we will keep you posted.