ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PMS Gear Linkage rattle

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Must say, it only took about 2 attempts to get it perfect. I use 2nd to align it all, select second on the box, then get in and position it in 2nd on the stick, and then tighten.

Perfect! thats what I like to hear ;)

2003 Clio 172
I fiddled around with the shifter today, I think the earlier suggestions that the vibrations are being passed through from the gearbox are right. I reinstalled the OEM rubber boot which covers the point where the end of the shifter rod bolts to the selector pin at the gearbox end. Vibrations have reduced following this, but still a bit annoying.

I'm going to try a rubber sleeve wrapped around part of the rod under the car towards the gearbox end in a place it won't hit anything or be too close to the exhaust and see how that goes. Maybe a piece of rubber hot water hose would do the trick, I'll try securing it with some tape first and if it works then sikaflex it in place.

Also managed to make some more adjustment and am very happy with the shifts and the position of the shifter now. I had a short shifter previously and this is far better, I think it will be much smoother on the track as there will be less thought about reaching for the shifter since it is now much closer to the wheel.

New problem with my GLK: when braking hard from high revs in third gear, the shifter pops to neutral.

My mechanic says its the weight of the rod under the car that causes the problem. Would you guys thinks so?

Gearbox and engine mounts all like new. Never had the problem with standard shifter.

Anyone?

CLIO 182
Weird how under braking it falls backwards from third. Id imagine if this was at all possible from braking it would be from fourth to neutral?

If it's popping out of gear for whatever reason it's not in gear properly so it's not set up properly. Mine use to pop out of reverse if I accelerated too fast. Some fine tuning and a powerflex dog bone problem sorted.

it might just not be 'in' gear properly ie the throw needs tweaking slightly

CLIO 182
Unless he's saying it's the weight of the bar underneath the tower? That's going forward?

what a weird one.

edit: read your post too quickly yeah the bar under the car

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
me as well, just bought one to fit to my track car and although I don't mind some rattling, if its properly annoying I'd like to see how to alleviate the issue DTM Cars Ltd

182cup & 172 racecar
lol, it's a bit like fitting some race suspension, then saying it's too bumpy ffs. I don't get what people expect these days, I really don't.

Oh and I removed the cup holders too, coke kept spilling out around Brands.

lol, it's a bit like fitting some race suspension, then saying it's too bumpy ffs. I don't get what people expect these days, I really don't.

Oh and I removed the cup holders too, coke kept spilling out around Brands.

your comment really dont make sense, like your saying that gearsticks must rattle like hell. I thought they were ment to shift like hell...

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
anyway @DTMCarsLtd any pics on what you did yet?
Mines great on track but driving to the track a constant rattle was annoying had to drive with my hand resting on top of it lol (glad it is not my everyday car)

172 cup, Impreza P1
I put in the same class as straight cut gears and then complaining about the whine. Either learn to live with it or stay standard. Simples!

Clio 182 FF
I was thinking about replacing the m8 bolt at the bottom of the gear stick with a m6 then make a nylon sleeve or something. That'd surely help

182cup & 172 racecar
Groove it and put some O rings on, or duct tape.

Or live with it, seeming it's more a trackday/race car modification.

Clio 182 FF
Yeh but it isn't anything rattling it is just the vibration being transmitted directly from the gearbox, so I can't see O rings working. I mean the m8 bolt under the car.

Clio 182 FF
Don't get me wrong I understand people's view on this with it being a motorsport mod it's just mine is fitted to my track car which just happens to be my road car, daily driver and long distance cruiser. But then I am happy with the trade off tbh

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Experienced the rattle for the first time this weekend...............but not on mine! :)

Mick's old phase 2 172 was at Blyton while I was there Sunday so I blagged a shotgun in it and Christ that rattle is crazy.

on the plus side the kit I fitted to my mk1.........no rattle at all! no idea if design was changed or what but either way I'm pretty happy with that considering I got it cheap second hand but new as well.

Clio 182 FF
It is rpm related on mine. So if you are just driving nicely and short shifting then it's ok but when you run a gear right out it gets rather noisey. The thing that annoys me is that it is quite intrusive and when you are pushing on you want to hear the engine, exhaust and road noise rather than this odd high frequency rattle that tells you nothing about what the cars doing.