ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plusnet.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Phone/Broadband package.

Out of contract with BT and they want £28 p/m for unlimited broadband.

Shopping around Plusnet at £19.99 (18 Month contract) see to be the best.

Download speed is irrelavent at current is 4 and wont improve soon :(

No fibre in my area yet.

Anyone with Plusnet, good or bad?

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
I have been with plusnet previously and they were fine. The router was budget spec but it all worked.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Good stuff. Looking at the reviews accross the board, they are all pretty shite. But then there's alot of customers.

See Bt have allways said 4gb at best.
Plusnet say 7 minimum otherwise i can come out of the contract etc.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Isn't traffic management where they throttle back your download speeds in busy times so in your example, 7mb normally but could be less in peak demand times?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Isn't traffic management where they throttle back your download speeds in busy times so in your example, 7mb normally but could be less in peak demand times?

Yeah thats what i've read mate. The wifi is that bad i dont think i've ever used it.

If you compare bt vs plusnet there is no speed managment with either?!?!?

Anyways. Going to give plusnet a try, if 7 or less (which is more than now) i can leave and just go back to Bt, which to be fair i've never had an issue with really.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ah ok don't use those, will do though :)

They rang back and I said if you can send me the better Hub (they send that one for fibre) I will sign up, feels like I'm getting a good deal then ;)

Spoke to his manager, only with fibre deals.

Maybe they will ring back...

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Was hoping they would ring me back and say 'yeah have the better router', they haven't lol.

Thing is bt and others have said my speed is just above w**k. How do plusnet guarantee minimum 7 download speed?. Just sales crap?

He says I can leave if my service is less then that?!?.

RB Clio 182
I think you have a cooling off period but you also need about 10 days for the speeds to settle.

The estimated speeds are given by a bit of software that BT have that show what the lines you have in the area are capable of. Other companies may add a degree of saftey net to allow for all the different variables that can affect overall speed.

I moved from BT to plusnet Last year as 1. BT call centres are beyond bad, 2. Their tech support was appalling and they do not seem to employ people who have any idea about computers beyond their scripts.

The plusnet tech support seems more clued up, they are based in England, they support 3rd party routers with no freak outs. The best move I ever made.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate. I'm not very techy so did wonder if there's any management on what speed you would get and more to the point why that is?.

Will give plusnet ago and use top cash back etc for some, well cashback :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_3628.PNG
Yeah sales bollards

RB Clio 182
It's been years since I worked in broadband and I think a lot has changed, but it's to do with how close the exchange is to your house and also the lines installed. Some areas have different lines installed which can carry different speeds. Out in the country and low population areas tend to have lower available speeds as the lines are not updated.

There are also only so many cards in each exchange so only so many connections. BT tends to rent so many to different companies per exchange in some cases companies cannot supply the line. Most lines are fibre to cabinet and then you have to rely on the lines already in place to the house.

When it comes to faults that can affect speed/connection -
Then you have above ground or below ground lines. Above ground and below ground exchanges. I have had to send engineers for exchanges/lines that have been hit by cars, set on fire or stripped for copper.

Also if you are lucky enough to have a fault and your lines are below ground you can have to wait months for approval for traffic lights and management to dig up roads etc.

But hopefully this will never happen and it will be smooth sailing like it is for the majority of people, but s**t does happen unfortunately.

1-3mb is pretty low. What's the upload? No competitive gaming for you :p

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for that.

Gaming and downloading films is fine tbh, no real noticeable issues. Ping is about 30, upload no idea but guessing it's a minus figure lol.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My mates broadband is so bad, it takes time to download picture messages on imessage lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Plusnet for 10 years now. One of the best companies I've ever dealt with. Great service etc.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think it's going to benefit me moving If the speed is crap. We don't use wifi as it's awful/slow.

If I was gaming and we did use the wifi gaming goes out the window, literally sometimes lol

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Have they not laid fibre down your road? Seems crazy that they haven't.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_3632.PNG
Nope, no room at the inn aparantly. Like living in the dark ages.

In my old house internet was shocking, worse than now. Changed to bt, enginner came out and set it up 'properly'? And hey presto decent wifi. The 32 ish speeds were then, the 4 is now lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Massive update

Stuck with BT to save the potential headache. Got it down to £23 for unlimited etc.