ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PLEASE HELP before i just sell it!

clio 182 cup
guys i bought the 182 cup a few months ago drove it for a while..took it to btm to find out it had the dephaser rattle so thought id drive it as it was rattling a little on start up any way. a few weeks later the car started to splutter on low revs so i bought new plugs and leads and fitted them which cured it but it still had a tiny hesitiation but very rarely happend. Now this week it sounds different on idle sounds lumpy and when i drive it it just splutters and hesitates in all the revs. what could this be? the exhaust is blowing too as the backbox has started to come apart. . when the car is cold it still sounds crap but dont hesitate when driving untill about 2 minutes later. then it just splutters and hesitates and just doesnt want to drive smoothly.once moving it sounds like a scooby.i was thinking could the plugs be gone AGAIN?or would the dephaset pulley cause this? please help as its driving me nuts now i feel like just getting rid of it but its a shame because i really liked it when it was ok..smells a bit too when driving it like a petrol sort os smell maybe all this is down to one problem along with the exhaust blowing. i had it on the diagnostic it came up as missfire..what could it be guys ????? please help id appreciate it!

Renault Clio182 bean
Could even be the coil pack at fault if its a genuine misfire, these normally get worse as the engine gets hotter, but not always. Any evidence of oil getting into the sparkplug holes? No4 especially ( cambelt side)....... Dephaser pulley won't help either as if they get so bad they can put the timing out slightly due to play in the pulley.

172/vx220t/m135i
I'd say injector if running lumpy and sounds like a scooby. Get it plugged into a reader to diagnose which one. Cheap fix if it is an injector.

CursedTitanium 182FF
Fix the exhaust and get it diagnosed to see if it's a lambda sensor or an injector.

clio 182 cup
guys if its a injector would that come on on the machine? as it got plugged in today first it came up as the lambda sensor.so cleared the fault and took it for a drive it was still spluttering and hesitating so i went back to the garage. he plugged the machine in straight away and it then came up as missfire . he said lambda sensor must be fine. had a look underneath it. the back box has a hole in it as its come apart but the problem is still there. so because the second time its coming up as missfire im confused. tried it again on the machine and it keeps coming up with missfire every time i take it round the block and back he checked it and came up with the same ..if its the injector will it come up saying injectors?

clio 182 cup
engine management light has never come up but today it gave a few flashed and went back off,theres a SERV light on but that sometimes goes off

clio 182 cup
hmmm how do i know which injector is gone mate? i may change the plugs and injector but i dont know which one if it is

172/vx220t/m135i
hmmm how do i know which injector is gone mate? i may change the plugs and injector but i dont know which one if it is

When I had these symptoms it read something like 'injector/missfire open cylinder 3' on the diagnostic, replaced injector 3 and problem was solved.

clio 182 cup
oh ok on mine in just said missfire or imittant missfire if i remember right ..didnt say any thing about any injectors at all.so maybe its not them? im lost lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
hmmmm how did water end up in the plugs matey?i will give that a go

The layout of the engine is a natural water trap. If the previous owner(s) of your car either steam-cleaned or washed the engine regularly, then water can easily collect in the pots where the spark plugs go. It's not beyond the laws of possibility that water could get into one of them. I know when I've changed my spark plugs before now, the thread has become corroded on a few of them.

D.

clio 182 cup
have pmd a member to see if he fancies taking a look at it before i pull my hair out . I went and bought new plugs for it. fitted them into it and the car sounded a little better and pulls smoother and now it splutters less but still splutters and hesitates but id say 50percent of it has gone. when driving it it will suddenly start to hesitate though or pull back .. and then clear up and then start doing it again. at times it does it at low revs or on gear change as soon as it should pick up speed it will do it and then clear up. sometimes it just does it after 5 k and other times it does it lower revs but its still there. i did put it on a ramp and saw that the back silencer on the exhaust it blowing very badly its kind split and broke off near the end so blowing. But i cant see it causing a problem as before when it was fine the missfire was still there but alot less..any where i could also get a ok 182 exhaust from without spending big bucks as im building a series 1 custom and sinking my money into that ..the 182 is my daily

275 Trophy
You've already taken this to BTM, but not had any work done that was suggested?

If so, personally I'd stop messing about with random internet advice and take it back to Fred and get the work done that your car sadly needs.

twingo

If so, personally I'd stop messing about with random internet advice and take it back to Fred and get the work done that your car sadly needs.

that's you certainly told

clio 182 cup

hi mate the 2nd day of owning it. i took it to him for a check over where he said the dephaser pulley will need doing. And that the exhaust was blowing at that time. the exhaust i had done .. the car drove fine but obviously had the pulley rattle.but drove fine and went well.this problem is recent mate i need the car for work so having things done off garages that open late so that i could collect the carafter work.. i did want to give it to fred but he closes before i finish work ..stuck which is why im after advice on what it could be as i could swap parts over whilst on lunch at work or when i get home. had to have the diagnostic computer plugged in from a garage local that closes late .this car is my daily.. i have a series 1 but not on the road yet ..so cant drop this off just yet...maybe its injector?

i will also look for a good exhaust for it .. if anybody has a good one second hand cat back let me know

clio 182 cup
i agree mate. hes a sound bloke just wish i hadthat sort of money right now but dont so wil try to find a second hand exhast from cat back to replace it with

All to common thing lately.

These cars are getting old now and things need changing. But yet they are just bought up and driven to the ragged edge ,then cannot afford repair/replace costs.

So the more folk do this the more mine goes up;)

clio 172, mondeo td
Yep your right martinr, I've just got a clio cup and it's got issues I wasn't told about, but it's a used car and if you spend the money to fix them right then you should be ok in the future (all being well) but some of the parts prices are silly but that's part of owning these cars.

clio 182 cup
but when i first bought the car it did splutter a little after i bought it the second day..and it just came now and again..sometimes didnt happen for weeks. bit recently it does it a hell of alot

clio sport
Had the same grief with the wifes clio was the coil pack that caused all the trouble soon as Iswapped for a better one it was fine

clio 182 cup
update...after a member on here [dennis] on here offered to take a look at it.. i went down and he did a plug in. . came up with 2 codes one was the 02 sensor and the other was injector number 2 so will swap these and then report back and see what happens.. thanks again mate for taking a look and plugging in the diagnostic machine ..