ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PLEASE, brake help!!!

1998 BMW e46 323i
I'm in the middle of changing my front brake pads...

How do I compress the piston to fit the new pads on?

I've removed the lid on the brake reservoir...

For love nor money can I compress it enough!

HELP!!!!!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
soem sort of metal bar and just push it f**king hard! lol do u have a small vice? or g clamps shud do the trick(b&q is open for another 50mins if u can make it there 2 buy a g clamp)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Not to funny mind. But have you still got your handbrake on..!

If not get some big open jaw pillers and press back in, Steady mind you.

Hope that helps.

1998 BMW e46 323i
I've got the handbrake on...

Thanks Patrick and Ted, I've been using a brick and scaff' bar,.. Could pop down to B&Q first thing tomorrow for a g clamp though.

Will the handbrake affect the front brake piston compressing? Really?

I'm baffled; have always changed the pads on all my cars...

Having the handbrake on or off will make no difference when doing the front brakes.

The easiest way is to use a G-clamp, but you can use anything to hand to lever it back in - just watch you don't damage the rubber seal.

It is also recommended that you open the bleed nipple on the caliper when pushing the piston back in as this removes any risk of damaging the ABS unit.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Cheers fellas, will try squeezing it in tomorrow, if no joy I'll buy a G clamp. (Hate buyng stuff I'll never use again though)

If only they wound in like the rear pistons...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Just undo the brake fluid reservoir cap , get a thick piece of wood or the handle of a hammer , something that won't damage the piston , then force the piston back into the caliper .

Like Craig says . Makes no difference having the handbrake on .

1998 BMW e46 323i
i've tried,.. will give it a bash tomorrow morning.

cap's undone, will give it hell for leather in the morning.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The piston can get a bit rusty inside the caliper . You can try pressing the brake pedal with no disc / pads on so the piston sticks out the caliper then apply a thin layer of grease to the piston .

But be aware that the piston doesn't pop right out of the caliper , its a bit fiddly to get them back in . Get a mate to help if you can so he can tell you how far the piston is out of the caliper . They are only about 2.5 inches long from memory so just pop it out say 1 3/4 inches .

When I changed my pads, I put the pad nearest the engine in place first, then put the caliper in place and braced it against the new pad, then pulled like a b**ch until it had receeded enough to fit the other pad in.

1998 BMW e46 323i
I have the caliper off right now, I'm going to put it on, and lever the piston back in... If no joy I'll be down to B&Q for an almighty G clamp.

Subway that's a very kind offer. I'm in South Liverpool, probably about 300 miles from ya.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Bought a G clamp. Job done, took no time at all.

THE G CLAMP IS KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the help chaps.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Nah, proper cast iron jobbie. Bargain at £8.48... If only I'd known the king was the G clamp. D'oh!

1998 BMW e46 323i
levering against the brake disc isn't good. couldn't see what else to lever it against...

the pads are still bedding in, but it stops better already. just in time for winter.