ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PlayStation VR

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
So who's getting one? :)

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/playstation-vr/

Can't wait personally! Not bothered that it's not as high specification as the HTC/Oculus offerings... £350 is a price I'm willing to invest at this point. Obviously helps already having the PS4!

Ignore the stupid f**king reactions of the people on this video lol. I reckon it'll be a while before a real AAA game arrives mind, it all seems kind of proof of concept at this point...

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think I'll wait for a while before even considering one of these. You'll go to use it and have a 4gb software update every time, all to play an indy game of some sort.

In a year to two I'll possibly get one when all of the niggles have been ironed out and the game catalogue is decent.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
all the accessories that come out which give a new dimension to gaming always come out with s**t games.. just games to show off the physics of the new accessory rather than being an entertaining game itself.

Yaris Hybrid
I pre-ordered it for PS4. Obviously I can still cancel the order nearer the date but at least I've got an option on launch day stock.

On the other hand I did not order any of the PC headsets. I have a fairly decent PC (980ti SLI and will get two of the new pascals when they come out) but deliberately opted not to bother.

My reasoning is that I feel Sony's unit will receive the best support and will have more good games that work properly.

Take PC games in general. Nothing fancy. Just regular games running on a single card. We see MASSIVE problems on a regular basis. Frequently we see games that are crippled with poor performance and that require third party community mods/patches to work properly. Then take it a step further. Look at SLI. Very mature technology, high install base but it receives utterly diabolical support. Let's not even talk about what happened with 3Dvision.

What are the odds that VR on PC will be anything other than a s**t show. I don't see it being supported better than SLI and the base support for PC in general is shocking. It will no doubt work great in a few niche hardcore sim titles but I have little confidence outside of that.

So yeah I will take a punt on the PS4 unit and sit back and wait it out as far as PC is concerned. Maybe in a couple of years time I will jump in, buy a second or third gen Rift that blows the original consumer model out of the water and at half the price. I will know by then if it is any better supported than SLI or just PC gaming in general!

My confidence with the Sony unit is pretty high. I will have a good number of quality working titles.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Have messed about with a mates Samsung VR phone thingy, these will be no doubt awesome.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I pre-ordered it for PS4. Obviously I can still cancel the order nearer the date but at least I've got an option on launch day stock.

On the other hand I did not order any of the PC headsets. I have a fairly decent PC (980ti SLI and will get two of the new pascals when they come out) but deliberately opted not to bother.

My reasoning is that I feel Sony's unit will receive the best support and will have more good games that work properly.

Take PC games in general. Nothing fancy. Just regular games running on a single card. We see MASSIVE problems on a regular basis. Frequently we see games that are crippled with poor performance and that require third party community mods/patches to work properly. Then take it a step further. Look at SLI. Very mature technology, high install base but it receives utterly diabolical support. Let's not even talk about what happened with 3Dvision.

What are the odds that VR on PC will be anything other than a s**t show. I don't see it being supported better than SLI and the base support for PC in general is shocking. It will no doubt work great in a few niche hardcore sim titles but I have little confidence outside of that.

So yeah I will take a punt on the PS4 unit and sit back and wait it out as far as PC is concerned. Maybe in a couple of years time I will jump in, buy a second or third gen Rift that blows the original consumer model out of the water and at half the price. I will know by then if it is any better supported than SLI or just PC gaming in general!

My confidence with the Sony unit is pretty high. I will have a good number of quality working titles.

Can you pre-order without a deposit? I'm broke at the moment!

GW200
I pre ordered one yesterday. Got a Logitech G29 wheel and seat, so hoping for some good racing game support in Project Cars, Gran Turismo Sport.
Think it could make horror games pretty scary too!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Let's hope they do more with it than the vita. Sony don't have a very good track record with peripheral support either. Best to wait until Xmas IMO.

Bang on. The Vita was (is?) a cracking evolution from the PSP. It utterly trounces the Nintendo DS and all of its iterations in terms of hardware capability. Yet where are the games and the support to push them out?

I do have some great games on the Vita - but they are few and far between. They lack both quality and quantity of titles and frustratingly (for me) - their marketplace just seems awash with JRPGs. I'm not really into equipping my Japanese school-girl squad of dragon-killers with slightly random weapons and even more random dialogue - chapters 1 through to 28. Its a real shame as Sony could make some real inroads with the Vita. In particular, the great feature on PSN where some of the games bought for the PS3/PS4 platform, allow you to download the same title on the Vita.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Here, here.

I've had several chats to Andy (@SharkyUK ) regarding the whole multi-GPU debacle - and I can understand the complexity and issues that such a situation can face for developers. But what gets under my skin is the exact comment you made - it's a mature technology. The old Voodoo2 cards are coming up upon two decades of age now. Interleaving is not a new technology that has been here for mere months. Worse, hardware manufacturers churn out mobos with a multitude of slots and obviously support both Crossfire and SLi from either camp. Everything is there for the concept to work - the hardware in terms of mobo and graphics cards - but until DX12 makes decent strides, the OS has been hampered significantly with the previous releases of DirectX.

It's no longer a niche-purchase to have multiple graphics cards. eBay and other resellers have made a premium product at £500+ appear far more appealing as a secondary card several months down the line and less than half that price. The combined expense of my two GTX690s was less than £600 - yet new, you would get no change from £2,000. There should be the drive to push multi-GPU setups further - just as there has been an industry acceptance and capability to support multiple CPUs for generations. I am hoping that DX12 will deliver and deliver well. My equivalent V8 under the PC lid is for the most part, running on 2 cylinders. When it works, it works brilliantly. And it should do that far more often than not, imo.

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/914...-dx12/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Bang on. The Vita was (is?) a cracking evolution from the PSP. It utterly trounces the Nintendo DS and all of its iterations in terms of hardware capability. Yet where are the games and the support to push them out?

I do have some great games on the Vita - but they are few and far between. They lack both quality and quantity of titles and frustratingly (for me) - their marketplace just seems awash with JRPGs. I'm not really into equipping my Japanese school-girl squad of dragon-killers with slightly random weapons and even more random dialogue - chapters 1 through to 28. Its a real shame as Sony could make some real inroads with the Vita. In particular, the great feature on PSN where some of the games bought for the PS3/PS4 platform, allow you to download the same title on the Vita.

In Asia handhelds outsell consoles, hence the JRPGs.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I really can't wait for the VR. I don't know what to expect but I reckon it will be great. Prices seem to be ok aswell. HUKD had a thread running for the ps4 VR around the £330 mark.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
In Asia handhelds outsell consoles, hence the JRPGs.

But I'm not in Asia. :tongueout:

In all seriousness, surely they could see the benefit of creating and selling games for the handhelds that are more in line with the tastes of Europe and NA? There's a huge market out there and to simply dismiss it for the sake that it doesn't toe the line with your own domestic region is a little short-sighted.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
But I'm not in Asia. :tongueout:

In all seriousness, surely they could see the benefit of creating and selling games for the handhelds that are more in line with the tastes of Europe and NA? There's a huge market out there and to simply dismiss it for the sake that it doesn't toe the line with your own domestic region is a little short-sighted.

I think culturally there's not a big enough market for it in EU.

In this country there's a stigma about adults who play video games, therefore playing on handheld in public is unlikely, so why even have a handheld if you only play at home? In Asia there's no such stigma, in fact they have gaming cafes and the like, it's become part of their culture, so they have no problem with playing on handhelds on the train etc.

It's funny, because if you play a game on your mobile it's considered normal over here, but if you're an adult playing a game on a Vita in public you will be perceived as some sort of nerd.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Here, here.

I've had several chats to Andy (@SharkyUK ) regarding the whole multi-GPU debacle - and I can understand the complexity and issues that such a situation can face for developers. But what gets under my skin is the exact comment you made - it's a mature technology. The old Voodoo2 cards are coming up upon two decades of age now. Interleaving is not a new technology that has been here for mere months. Worse, hardware manufacturers churn out mobos with a multitude of slots and obviously support both Crossfire and SLi from either camp. Everything is there for the concept to work - the hardware in terms of mobo and graphics cards - but until DX12 makes decent strides, the OS has been hampered significantly with the previous releases of DirectX.

It's no longer a niche-purchase to have multiple graphics cards. eBay and other resellers have made a premium product at £500+ appear far more appealing as a secondary card several months down the line and less than half that price. The combined expense of my two GTX690s was less than £600 - yet new, you would get no change from £2,000. There should be the drive to push multi-GPU setups further - just as there has been an industry acceptance and capability to support multiple CPUs for generations. I am hoping that DX12 will deliver and deliver well. My equivalent V8 under the PC lid is for the most part, running on 2 cylinders. When it works, it works brilliantly. And it should do that far more often than not, imo.

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/914...-dx12/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Yep - we've had a chat or two! :)

One important thing to note though is that SLI (ScanLine Interleave) on the Voodoo2 era GPUs and SLI (Scalable Link Interface) on 'modern' era GPUs are two different beasts that operate in very different ways. The basic idea is the same (i.e. use two or more GPUs in parallel to improve overall performance) but the way in which the two variants go about their business is very different. It's a bit confusing that nVidia decided to reintroduce the 'SLI' acronym having bought the technology from 3DFX years before and abandoning it.

As for PlayStation VR... I've been offered an interview for a short-term senior graphic programmer role at Sony for one of their launch VR titles. I'm currently contemplating whether or not to go for it (probably not as it's a bit of hassle at the moment and the pay isn't great!)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I really can't wait for the VR. I don't know what to expect but I reckon it will be great. Prices seem to be ok aswell. HUKD had a thread running for the ps4 VR around the £330 mark.

I saw that but you have to pay full price on the deposit which I can't afford to do atm... :(

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yep - we've had a chat or two! :smile:

One important thing to note though is that SLI (ScanLine Interleave) on the Voodoo2 era GPUs and SLI (Scalable Link Interface) on 'modern' era GPUs are two different beasts that operate in very different ways. The basic idea is the same (i.e. use two or more GPUs in parallel to improve overall performance) but the way in which the two variants go about their business is very different. It's a bit confusing that nVidia decided to reintroduce the 'SLI' acronym having bought the technology from 3DFX years before and abandoning it.

As for PlayStation VR... I've been offered an interview for a short-term senior graphic programmer role at Sony for one of their launch VR titles. I'm currently contemplating whether or not to go for it (probably not as it's a bit of hassle at the moment and the pay isn't great!)

You have your answer right there Andy. Become a multi-GPU evangelist! :smile:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
So... did anyone get one yet?

Since my bubba came along last month I've played the PlayStation for precisely 15 minutes lol. Don't think I'm going to find time for VR for a while yet :(

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm slightly dubious with the VR stuff - until I have a proper go with a decent setup.

My main concern is the actual interaction between you and your immediate environment. VR would work amazingly well when you're 'fixed' in place - say with a wheel and pedal setup in Project Cars. Glancing around you to check on the other cars nearby and looking into the apex etc are great features. I'm just not so convinced where your hands are expected to be holding a gun/weapon and perform any form of realistic movements - regardless of what peripheral controller you have.

Technically (and on the PC here) - I am intrigued with nVidia's simple-sounding approach to the next form of SLi. Having one graphics card render the image for one eye and the other eye on the second card, makes sense. Certainly something I'll keep an eye on anyway. And no s**t pun intended.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Certainly something I'll keep an eye on anyway. And no s**t pun intended.
You meant it :tonguewink:

PlayStation VR works well (as do any of the higher-end crop of current VR technologies - i.e. Oculus Rift, HTC Vive). However I still have a few issues with the tech in general at the moment. Firstly, and I'm talking about PlayStation VR here, I find the resulting imagery a little too soft compared to the crisp visuals these systems generally produce these days. That's a limit of the hardware and nothing but a significant increase in performance can overcome that. Still, it's impressive and does a great job of immersing you in the 3D environment. That brings me onto the other gripe really... the fact I find the whole scale thing a little jarring and disjoint. With the limited time I've had on these systems I feel that my avatar is completely out of scale with the environment around me. It's hard to explain. It's even weirder that the body and senses soon adjust to it though...

I've not had enough time to play with any particular VR system [other than for a bit of dev work] so I can't really give an in-depth review. It's fun and novel, it works well... but I'm still not convinced just yet. Maybe in a generation or two I'll invest.

Goliath I
Had a crack at this earlier as my Brother in Law bought one. Not sure if it was just first go excitement, but thought it was awesome!

Done that scenario where you're lowered down the ocean and a shark is there. It felt so real lol graphics not as sharp as I thought they'd be but you forget that after a while.

Also played some game where your in a van and have to shoot out people chasing you. It's hard to explain but everything seemed very interactive and natural. Opening the door and hanging out to shoot guys coming up behind you was cool, picking up the clips to reload, throwing the Coke cans out the door, stroking the back of your drivers head... Probably gets a bit tedious after a while, but still was great fun.

All could think of was how awesome it will be with a rig and Project Cars/F1 2016!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goliath I
Will it ever work with real games like gta v?

I think it's got a little way to go for something like that. At the moment games are specifically designed and tailored for it.

The main thing they need to do is find a way to be able to move you in the game. You can move a little bit by walking a step or so, but it backs out after say a metre each way. You use the ps wands in each hand with buttons and they act as your hands, maybe putting an analogue stick to them may sort it?

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
I think it's got a little way to go for something like that. At the moment games are specifically designed and tailored for it.

The main thing they need to do is find a way to be able to move you in the game. You can move a little bit by walking a step or so, but it backs out after say a metre each way. You use the ps wands in each hand with buttons and they act as your hands, maybe putting an analogue stick to them may sort it?

What i want is to essentialy just use it as a screen and still play with the controller, thats what i initially thought was happening :(

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
Holy thread bump.

Just played on one and enjoyed it (felt a bit sick though!)

What games are must haves? Probably going to get one soon as the wife was loving it, so a good reason to get her into it!!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I’ve always enjoyed Surgeon Simulator when I’ve been round my mates, probably better after a couple of drinks but really stupid and good fun for a group of mates. Not necessarily a proper game though

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Holy thread bump.

Just played on one and enjoyed it (felt a bit sick though!)

What games are must haves? Probably going to get one soon as the wife was loving it, so a good reason to get her into it!!

Just realised I made this thread lol. Still never tried the bloody thing! Although the missus has and said the same as you... good, but didn't feel great after a while (she gets car sick and apparently it's a similar reaction)

Anyway, if you're thinking of getting one, as am I, wait a bit longer for E3 next month. Rumored to be an updated version coming out.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I think the most enjoyable is the free Playroom VR thing that came with it, has a few mini games and people not wearing the headset can join in. Got all the trophies for that!

At the moment I've got these installed:

Rush Of Blood - Good to freak people out, can backfire though as someone ripped my PSVR off their head.

Superhot VR - Wanna pretend you're in the Matrix?

Farpoint - Looks great, plays great with the aim controller, story is average.

Arizona Sunshine - Zombie shooter, it's fairly short and the graphics aren't the best. Bought to give me something else to use the aim controller on.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - Good fun, basically you need to disarm a bomb and people give you instructions from the TV.

Dirt Rally - Can apparently play the whole game in VR, I've not set it up properly with my wheel to put any proper time into it though.

GT Sport - You can only race 1 other car but on any track, recently they've added time trial mode which I can see being good with a wheel. You can do a showroom type mode as well.

Skyrim VR - This was the main thing I was excited about. I've put a few hours into it, but not sure how much of it I'll replay.

I Expect You To Die - Good fun, 5-6 odd missions. Game length will depend on how good you are at figuring them out!

Resident Evil - Played through the campaign last year on the TV so I am focusing on the DLC bits for VR. Plays and looks really good but not put much time into it. Supposed to be one of the best games for it.

Moss - One of my favourites, very nice to look at/immerse yourself in. Gameplay does get repetitive but it's worth a playthrough.

I think the best thing to do is watch some YouTube gameplay/reviews and see which you might fancy.
Personally, after the initial few weeks of trying all the demos and games I fancied mine has barely been touched, maybe averaging once a week. I think the main problem being that come 10pm I've got some time for playing games, but don't want to faff with the headset so end up on normal stuff. When I do bother to set it up though it always amazes me that it's possible to sit in your living room and experience this stuff on a few hundred quids worth of PlayStation bits!

I did fall for the trailer hype on The Inpatient and bought it on release but really didn't enjoy it. A few creepy bits but then it felt like a corridor walking simulator. Luckily I skipped Bravo Team even though I really want a semi realistic shooter. There are a couple of games on the store that I fancy but the majority don't look anything to get excited about.

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
Excellent answer. I appreciate the detail sir!
I played the Rush of Blood game at theirs. The pig abbatoir level was something else!

I'll do some research this week and may well suprise the wife with one next month. Gonna set me back a fair whack once you get the "hand rods" or whatever you call them!

I think the most enjoyable is the free Playroom VR thing that came with it, has a few mini games and people not wearing the headset can join in. Got all the trophies for that!

At the moment I've got these installed:

Rush Of Blood - Good to freak people out, can backfire though as someone ripped my PSVR off their head.

Superhot VR - Wanna pretend you're in the Matrix?

Farpoint - Looks great, plays great with the aim controller, story is average.

Arizona Sunshine - Zombie shooter, it's fairly short and the graphics aren't the best. Bought to give me something else to use the aim controller on.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - Good fun, basically you need to disarm a bomb and people give you instructions from the TV.

Dirt Rally - Can apparently play the whole game in VR, I've not set it up properly with my wheel to put any proper time into it though.

GT Sport - You can only race 1 other car but on any track, recently they've added time trial mode which I can see being good with a wheel. You can do a showroom type mode as well.

Skyrim VR - This was the main thing I was excited about. I've put a few hours into it, but not sure how much of it I'll replay.

I Expect You To Die - Good fun, 5-6 odd missions. Game length will depend on how good you are at figuring them out!

Resident Evil - Played through the campaign last year on the TV so I am focusing on the DLC bits for VR. Plays and looks really good but not put much time into it. Supposed to be one of the best games for it.

Moss - One of my favourites, very nice to look at/immerse yourself in. Gameplay does get repetitive but it's worth a playthrough.

I think the best thing to do is watch some YouTube gameplay/reviews and see which you might fancy.
Personally, after the initial few weeks of trying all the demos and games I fancied mine has barely been touched, maybe averaging once a week. I think the main problem being that come 10pm I've got some time for playing games, but don't want to faff with the headset so end up on normal stuff. When I do bother to set it up though it always amazes me that it's possible to sit in your living room and experience this stuff on a few hundred quids worth of PlayStation bits!

I did fall for the trailer hype on The Inpatient and bought it on release but really didn't enjoy it. A few creepy bits but then it felt like a corridor walking simulator. Luckily I skipped Bravo Team even though I really want a semi realistic shooter. There are a couple of games on the store that I fancy but the majority don't look anything to get excited about.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
My brother bought one about 12 months ago, i played through some of Resident Evil with him was good, and different, he couldn't put it down, but i bet he hasn't used it for months now....

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Yeah. I know what you mean.

It definitely wasn't as crisp and sharp as I expected tbh. Is V2 much better?

There was a new version that came out at the end of last year which changed a few things, nothing to do with the actual visual quality though.

PSVR CUH-ZVR1 vs CUH-ZVR2

If CrippsCorner is right and a newer one comes out I guess there is a chance it could have better visuals. I'd of thought the main limiter for this would be the actual console though? Apparently some games look marginally better on the PS4 Pro.

My brother bought one about 12 months ago, i played through some of Resident Evil with him was good, and different, he couldn't put it down, but i bet he hasn't used it for months now....

It is the main problem really, only a handful of decent fully fledged games, and the bigger developers won't want to bother making games for it as the customer base is too small.