ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

plasma or lcd tv?

got some ££££ to spunk at the moment and want a new tv, currently got a 32" samsung lcd which is 2.5 years old but want to move that into bedroom and get say a 42" for living room....whats better lcd or plasma?

Clio 182
you have answered it yourself by saying you only want samsung, because the samsung plasma's suck and they have moved there focus to LCD (for home users anyway).

Oil Burner
would disagree lol

been very impressed with samsungs new plasma's

Steer clear of lg.

Plasma for me. No it doesnt need re-gassing etc... you simply can suffer from screen burn if you pausing it too long or watch channels with non plasma proofed logos.

Panasonic plasma or pioneer kuro. The way forward.

LCD panasonic or Samsung. Yet to see sony 4k series.

Be warned, lots of rubbish is talked about this debate. Have a search you may be surprised what turns up.

B

Brown.

LG have one of the best panels out today, there 42lg5020 blows the bravia 403500 out the water.......what are you basing your opinion on dunganick ??

172cup
i had a samsung 42" plasma... brilliant picture, although blacks were very very black and showed poor shadowing. Also, speakers rattled like f**k

now got SHarp 46" lcd 100hz and its awesome

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Simple are you going to sit in front of it?? Answer; Y either N plasma

Anything bigger than 37, plasma.

Panasonic are the best by far & offer great value & trouble free.

Do not listen to the 'wives tales' they are b****cks from years ago.

dk

911 GTS Cab
there is so much s**t spurted about tv's on this forum.

do research on avforums, this is a car forum with people who think they know about tv's on it.

ph2 172 ff
lcd all the way plasmas after a few years pictures start to dull out and can suffere from screen burn, look for dpi etc

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Have had both at the same time.

The TV's.

Sony Bravia 50" plasma - Great picture but not as good as the LCD,also you need to be straight on to get the best benefit from a plasma,if you look at the tv from the side you cannot see the picture.

Samsung 37" LCD - Great picture but we have had a couple of problems with it.THe speakers play up now and again and we need to turn off and on to fix,also the tv will freeze in channel menu screen and needs to be turned on and off to sort again,funnily enough this all happened just after its 1yr warranty ran out.

Just in the process of ordering the new Phillips ambilight 47" - Picture is awesome when we seen it in the shop and with the upgraded speaker package we are getting with it the sound was impressive.

The phillips.
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...light+47PFL9703D/10+&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
would disagree lol

been very impressed with samsungs new plasma's

Steer clear of lg.

Plasma for me. No it doesnt need re-gassing etc... you simply can suffer from screen burn if you pausing it too long or watch channels with non plasma proofed logos.

Panasonic plasma or pioneer kuro. The way forward.

LCD panasonic or Samsung. Yet to see sony 4k series.

Be warned, lots of rubbish is talked about this debate. Have a search you may be surprised what turns up.

whats a plasma proofed logo?

46" Samsung LCD ordered today! Didnt even know they made them at 46" thought it went 42 to 50 but f**k it...cant wait to see cod 4 on it!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

The TV's.

Sony Bravia 50" plasma - Great picture but not as good as the LCD,also you need to be straight on to get the best benefit from a plasma,if you look at the tv from the side you cannot see the picture.

Samsung 37" LCD - Great picture but we have had a couple of problems with it.THe speakers play up now and again and we need to turn off and on to fix,also the tv will freeze in channel menu screen and needs to be turned on and off to sort again,funnily enough this all happened just after its 1yr warranty ran out.

Just in the process of ordering the new Phillips ambilight 47" - Picture is awesome when we seen it in the shop and with the upgraded speaker package we are getting with it the sound was impressive.

The phillips.
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...light+47PFL9703D/10+&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N

You have that tits up, plasma has the greater viewing angles.

Also what it looks like in the shop is never a good indication, i don't know anyone that lives in a shop environment:S

Oil Burner
Big_peaches,

My opinion is based on:

Owning 2 LG's and both having issues with them. Now have a panasonic (a budget one i admit, its been fine)

My other experiance is selling them, being fed up with their **** reliability screwing up my figures. Now wont sell them if i can avoid it. Too many Monday morning/friday afternoon ones about.

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired

The TV's.

The phillips.

You have that tits up, plasma has the greater viewing angles.

Also what it looks like in the shop is never a good indication, i don't know anyone that lives in a shop environment:S

Im looking at the plasma now from the side and its telling me different.???

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I went from a Panasonic Plasma 1080i to a Toshiba LCD 1080p (both 42).

Viewing angles? Nothing between them at all.

Blacks? Panasonic wins.

Given the choice again, the Panasonic would do it for me.

Polo + Micra
LCD with led backlighting that can be turned of/dimmed when not needed to be full brightness

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
LCD you have to refill plasma after 5 years... FAIL imo

To be fair, I remember way back in the early days of plasma TVs in the late 90s. We had various corporates wanting to buy extended warranties for their £6k+ boardroom telly's.

Not one manufacturer back then would offer it - regardless. You got your stock 12 months cover and that was it. They hadn't worked out how to make plasmas last back then and they were just a gimmick - and a bloody expensive one at that!

"Why has my screen started to go lighter and lighter.... almost white?" "Erm, because it's funked!" ;)

D.