ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pictures of your looped rack for EPAS. What fittings have you used?

172 Ph1
I'm understanding the lubed rack and pinion side of things , is the other part blocked off just to keep the s**t out Mark ?

172 Ph1
I should have kept the blanking plugs that came with the new racks back in the day instead of launching em in the bin Doh

Not sure if its a male or female you need but if its female and you've got the room you've always got the option of a Brass Inline Connector Female M12 x 1mm then blank with the male.

172 Ph1
The grease is packed in at the rack and pinion end, and also there's some inside the rack to help lubricate the shaft seals that are found at either end. The rack is modified internally to reduce pressure build up as well.

Modified internally ?
How you done that.
How is that achieved don't mind me asking

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Modified internally ?
How you done that.
How is that achieved don't mind me asking
There's a seal that's about smack bang in the middle of the rack that's there to stop fluid transfer between the halves of the steering rack. That's been removed and the area that the seal sits in has been grooved to allow the air to move.

172 Ph1
There's a seal that's about smack bang in the middle of the rack that's there to stop fluid transfer between the halves of the steering rack. That's been removed and the area that the seal sits in has been grooved to allow the air to move.

Ahh ok , not stripped one down yet - but I know exactly what you mean and the principle behind it .

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
And when the rods are off presume you can just access the internals that way?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I have all the blanking plugs and the copper loop in the garage somewhere. Running a DCI rack now so don't need it all

Clio 182 FF
Just reading up on various mods guys. I've searched and cant find the answer.

Whats the benefit of removing the PAS? Is it as part of removing the PAS pump & Aircon etc and going for less mass on the aux belt side of things, or is it related to steering feels etc?

Mine has had the rack replaced (with a newer used) and has had a new PAS pump, but I suspect it may be leaking as there's oil/gunk/fluid all over it. I need to get it all cleaned off to see if its just a general mess due to leaky sump, gearbox selector leak.

But if it is leaking I'd rather do the work once - with a long term view of "track car" so if this mod is of benefit then I'll do it at the same time.

Can someone explain or point me to a thread with the detail on please. :up:

172, BMW 650i & X5
I remembered mate! Ok so you need 1x m14x1.5, 1x m16x1.5 and 2x m12x1.0 blanking plugs. You then need 2x m12x1.0 brake pipe unions for 3/16 pipe to make the link pipe.

Get the Allen key head blanking plugs as well mate as you can't fit anything else in there.
Hi bud, just doing this job over next few nights. Can you confirm i need 2x m12 x 1.0 blanks as i cant find any.
Also, can the loop be done with rubber hose and jubilee clios or must it be metal?
Many thanks

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hi bud, just doing this job over next few nights. Can you confirm i need 2x m12 x 1.0 blanks as i cant find any.
Also, can the loop be done with rubber hose and jubilee clios or must it be metal?
Many thanks
Which bits are you blanking off mate? The ones near where the column bolts on? If so, just fill them with sealant mate.

172, BMW 650i & X5
The 4 ports at the bottom of the column can be filled with silicone sealant mate. You'll be fine to join the pipes on the rack with rubber hose as well. It's no longer under any pressure you see.
Cheers buddy. Appreciate that. This'll be a very quick winter project then!!! I'll need to think of something else... Think I'm suffering from AutoAnorexia...

172, BMW 650i & X5
sounds like grinder time again! :tonguewink:
Well under way Mark. Managed to rape a student on gumtree and get a cup alternator set up COMPLETE for £30 including P&P. Didn't know what it was worth. So, PAS gone, butchered aircon unit gone, associated bracketry gone, pipework gone, reservoir gone, wiper motor and arms gone, rack getting looped etc. Don't know what weight is in big brown box but it's a 2 hand lift. All this BEFORE i pull out my trusty cutting gear!!!!
Cant help but look at all hinges etc now thinking they're designed for heavier gear and could lose a bit. Never ending story!!!

172, BMW 650i & X5
Quick update. Just bought new 850mm gates 5v belt, jubikees and hose for £13.95. Together with £30 full cup alternator set up ive managed to remove all aircon, all pas and a s**t load of weight for a grand total of £43.95. Did i ever mention I hate getting ripped of by brand names?

172 Ph1
Quick update. Just bought new 850mm gates 5v belt, jubikees and hose for £13.95. Together with £30 full cup alternator set up ive managed to remove all aircon, all pas and a s**t load of weight for a grand total of £43.95. Did i ever mention I hate getting ripped of by brand names?

Nice one - you cheap skate lol :tounge out .

I'm now guessing you can sealer the rack in situ ?
Did you ? Or did you have the rack out.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I've got a full plug set at home and the copper loop for anyone looking to do this. It's a mismatch of 3 brass bungs, 1 lambda bung and a home made loop but it worked perfectly. Don't know what it's worth so offers if anyone is interested.

172 Ph1
I've got a full plug set at home and the copper loop for anyone looking to do this. It's a mismatch of 3 brass bungs, 1 lambda bung and a home made loop but it worked perfectly. Don't know what it's worth so offers if anyone is interested.

Can you Pm me a pic of the bits please .
Like to see what you got on offer [emoji106]

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Is there any reason why nobody has removed the internals of the valve setup where to column connects and keep the pipes connected on the rack?

I'm not near a rack just now to have a look around it so expecting a simple answer like it can't be opened up lol, but curiosity got the better of me here.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Rather than starting a new thread I'm going to bump this back up...

When looping the rack I'm I right in thinking you drain out all the PAS fluid out the side being looped and pack the pinion side with high temp grease and bung the holes?

I hear some people fill it with fluid and some people empty it?