ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Graham's OCD ph2 DCi sport rep

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Cor those wheels look good!
I have to say I'm ruddy chuffed with them. Must resist putting them on until the weather gets better!

Best DCI ever, period!!
Thank you mate, there's always room for tweaks here and there ;)

Looking good Graham, certainly puts my 182 to shame. Did you sell the OZ F1's?
I'm sure it doesn't! Speed is one thing this barge doesn't have the joy of. I didn't in the end and have decided to run them as my winter wheels because of their brand new rainsport tyres. They've been very good recently. Need a refurb though as the paint is completely dead; although you can't tell under the dirt at the moment.

dont go mad on adjusting the wastegate on te turbo. those poxy kp35's dont like being tweaked to far without uprated thrust pads.
I've decided not to now matey as you should be able to see below!

So today's update isn't particularly interesting but still a change. I've been thinking about buying a new car because this one is too slow so ordered some bits to start playing with the power and try and keep me satisfied for a bit. These bits consisted of a Tim Superdash boost gauge and ball & spring manual boost controller. After watching this video I decided it met my needs. I'll be mounting the gauge in the cup holder area although may move it to the pillar if it proves difficult to see. Currently there's a problem with too much boost under high load as seen in my recent thread so I will need to sort that before taking the boost up a little. Now at least I know the ECU doesn't kick in and reduce the boost until we get to about 1.4 bar. The max I'm going is 1.2 though.

C4A4A590-463D-4A6C-B271-9593BBB9D932_zps8j9zxts3.jpg

As always, thank you for the comments everyone, more always welcome :)

Many.
I ran 1.25 Bar with no issues. With no wastegate line I ran 1.6bar for about 10seconds at a time before it'd go into limp mode lol

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Decided to have a break from coursework for the afternoon and managed to get a couple of bits done on the car. First was to fix the horn which turned out to be a fuse.
Next was the boost bits I got earlier on in the week. In the video showing the car over boosting you can see the gauge isn't mounted properly so I went about fitting it like this. Worked very well, especially the little rivets although I need to move it over just a touch so I can get in my "cup of tea" flask

A85E03DF-CE1E-4F4D-A110-0C33C5513CCB_zpsftuo8cpy.jpg
13D66E75-6B70-45EC-A5F8-C1B004082B12_zps44nfwsol.jpg
E938405F-694F-4219-AA6B-6DBBD6253F99_zpscjbnfxak.jpg
7DE6FB93-6056-429D-BEF4-F8101B4308D8_zpsfohfg6hy.jpg

FBD67BCE-1812-4193-9F2B-B591F80F484A_zpsf1udkc7y.jpg

After the gauge was done I moved onto the boost controller. Very easy install and set up. Took me about 20 minutes from start to end. After turning the boost down 6 times I got it to about 1.2 bar without the "oh crap" coil light coming on. No idea if it's faster as I haven't driven it properly yet but time will tell :)

81ADA0A2-4E96-4F89-B296-13BECE61B940_zpsppnpqz6e.jpg

That's all for now. I did go to halfords earlier to buy some car washing stuff but nearly ended up spending £30 which was just too much for me. What a change from a couple of years ago when I had a product for everything. Asda wash and wax FTW.

583C008A-7C40-4108-983E-21E9363EF8F1_zpsbmqgqmjt.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
BOOOOOOOOOST.

In my mind it's like that! We'll see at SRR though.

you'll regret the gauage that side lol! i have my egt guage there and its not visable easy when im in 3rd or 5th ....

It's actually absolutely fine because it's not at the bottom of the cup holder. Had thought about that before driving; the german in me (that's a lie). The only section that's a little obscured is where 2 bar is and I hope I won't be getting there soon! During the boost adjustment the 1.5 bar made for a healthy dose of black smoke ;)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I hate coming in here and knowing I can never go sport rep without custom driveshafts :( I do have more power though :smirk:

Quite like the boost gauge down there out the way.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
i dont get how you lot got smoke on standard maps, mine never smoked until my injectors started playing up 😂
I think it was more soot as it boosted much higher than it had before.

I hate coming in here and knowing I can never go sport rep without custom driveshafts 😧 I do have more power though :smirk:

Quite like the boost gauge down there out the way.
Your custom driveshafts would cost less than it did for my respray! :wink: I've ordered a new panel that the boost gauge is attached to so I can keep it in the same place but move it over so I can get my cup in.

One little sneak preview of what summer will hold. I got the trusty wash and wax out today and BOOM twenty minutes later it was all scrubbed up.
9FD37FC1-48E8-43B0-8833-F6789C7D10EE_zpsh4svqzcx.jpg
D281CE82-7984-4B2B-9C90-85A6E80A3339_zpswvzue3lu.jpg

I then decided to put on 2 of the speedlines to see what they're going to look like. Well I'll let the photos speak for themselves. Reckon they look bloomin' lush.
6B53A549-7174-4C82-86A8-C8A888FDA371_zps0svpqbiw.jpg

8ECF5815-C7C0-4C91-BA91-F9C806ECDE72_zpsqoji6xac.jpg
FE38C600-F24B-495F-8327-BADF6FA5D5B5_zpslgef2ohx.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Wheels make a huge difference.

Wanna come wash my car? Its much worse than yours lol
Yeah they do don't they. Still not going on for a while though unfortunately. The car was worse than it looked and came out worse than it looks! Now it's had a few days on the roads though it's now even worse again :/

Yesterday I went about fitting the arb I bought from @gudger12345. Have to say it was lovely to fit it knowing all the consumable parts had been refreshed. I'll probably get some boots for the rose joints as I've had them sieze up before with all the road salt. On my 182 I had the same bar on setting 3 so have done the same with this one. Not yet able to fully test it out because the roads are a bit rubbish at the moment but I know it will have made a change for the good.

AE0665AC-BE82-45CF-BA39-E0C79BB13684_zpstqjepgbd.jpg
709C1839-D669-426A-8C97-B3D9E2CE2E32_zpss6lejjmw.jpg
AC074A54-F547-4080-BF32-2D91DE862EBB_zps57ehtpfj.jpg

This is probably the last update for quite a long time as I'm currently looking for a 172 cup/182 summer track car and would rather put some money into that. Of course I'll report back if I get one but my next thing with the DCI is the rolling road day at the start of March.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
You have done a splendid job.
Thank you!!
Car looks great on those wheels, isn't the ARB going to catch on speed bumps?! Looks ridiculously low.
Cheers mate. Nah, these ARBs do sit a touch lower than the other ones but they sit quite close to the wheel so don't ever catch anything. Has made the car a lot nicer.

I bought a 172 cup for some fun http://www.cliosport.net/threads/grahams-summer-172-cup-track-car.768675/ lots to do to it but I'll be waiting a while to do most of it!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Did a little bit of work on the workhorse today. Had one job to sort which had been bugging me.

Last weekend I noticed an odd noise coming from the car. Heard it a few times before on the motorway but thought nothing of it. Pulled up at the petrol station and something smelt like burning rubber so I checked all the tyres to find they were all fine. In my infinite wisdom I then decided to see how how the discs were, the first three were okay but it was unfortunate the fourth one burnt three of my finger tips. The rear o/s caliper was binding. Repaired that today, found out the piston has lost it's dust book in action so corrosion built up on the piston surface. Cleaned it, greased it, all is dandy.

Put the car in summer mode today as the f1s have been on for 6 months now. Turinis do look cool even if I say so myself.
turinis_zpsitzgolmt.jpg

Few problems with the car.
Injector seal broken again
Seat rail broken
Interior is flithy
Turbo is munching through oil and really hurting efficiency.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Looks wicked mate!

I really need to just get the Cambelt done on mine. It's 2 years over due!

And a new dog bone mount/4th engine mount. The movement is comical.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Looks wicked mate!

I really need to just get the Cambelt done on mine. It's 2 years over due!

And a new dog bone mount/4th engine mount. The movement is comical.
Cheers Dan. I forget about this car now I have the other one but remember why it's a goodun when I scrub her up.

Lol at the cambelt. Our van was 60k over due and didn't go pop. Really easy job to do yourself though and costs less than £50.

Get the mount!!! gives you 30 bhp and impresses the ladies.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Under £50?!
Cam belt kit, alternator belt, water pump, coolant....
Well, not with all that gubbins. Just the belt kit and timing tools.
My water pump is non gen, cost £20 and hasn't exploded yet. Alt belt £10 and coolant about £15. Bargaintastic. I hope you've got A/C because if not the manual tension is hateful. I've only changed the water pump on one of our dcis though and all the others seem fine on their original so I wouldn't change it unless giving grief. My sisters piece of junk is on 165k and the original.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have no air con. :-(

Good to know re the water pump though. That saves f**king about getting wet.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
So I think this project stops here really. I was thinking about doing a 106bhp and k9k conversion with 6 speed box but after adding up what I've spent on this car it's totally ridiculous. Over 3k in just mods, oh my, on a slow french diesel.....bugger.

Of course I'll update the thread with piccies of anything I do to keep her going but this is where the mods end :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
For a while now I've been saying I'll replace my turbo because it's leaking oil like a sieve. I've been having to top up the oil every 2000 miles which has just proved to be a total pain in the bum. About a year ago I bought a rebuild kit from ebay and partially rebuilt a turbo but never finished it after forgetting to scribe a few key things when disassembling. I took a relatively good turbo with only a mild oil leak from the DCI 80 I broke a few months ago so decided to rebuild that one and do it as best I could this time.

I knew the turbo had to be done now as my oil change is coming up in 500 miles, the cloud of smoke from the back had been getting bigger recently and I've got a 3000 mile european holiday in the summer so wanted some shakedown time.

Oil all over the EGR valve
335C2FD6-C6D3-4A76-A436-9D0B7259458A_zpsug6p5yam.jpg

Recoditioned turbo vs mullered one. You can see the leak!
9BDCDD2F-81C6-476A-A9F5-07A5343B4C2A_zpsetavlbu5.jpg
288CBECF-C78C-48D1-A494-6659D764FEE5_zpsxxn99osd.jpg

In situ
F57AC004-F0CB-40B2-A71D-245F2DAA6915_zpsst9wwb16.jpg

Got the car all back together then disaster struck. I started the car, gave it a rev and could hear the core wasn't 100% balanced despite my best efforts to mark the spinny bits. Worse to come. I drove the car up the road and back down only to find a HUGE puddle of oil pooring from the car and a long line of oil all the way up the road. A quick text to Alex and we established the oil feed at the cylinder head end was leaking like the titanic.
DB8C8020-43D1-465C-BB8A-C38E4D0AB815_zpsgchcsahw.jpg
57BE76B1-9B6C-4077-839D-A2F7770E4894_zpsqzbryfza.jpg

All thanks to this little thing having a split in
7CC6FB59-4B67-4EF7-833B-7D1AA023A2D8_zpsgmbbdhgp.jpg

Luckily my buddy had a set of o rings and we found a replacement so I am now back on the road but due to the wizzing noise I'm still going to get a new turbo with a Melett core to save hassle. This time around I'll clean the intercooler out to prevent the oil burn off smoke I'm currently getting!

Some may also recall I had a problem with the boost getting to 1.5 bar and getting fuel cut when I had WOT on the motorway. With this different wastegate on the car the problem doesn't exist at all and there's no boost creep what so ever :smiley:

In other news I sorted out the climate control and the auto function now works perfectly. Some electrical detective work found the right pin on the update list display to give the external temp reading.

Bar that I've only got to get a new A/C pipe and the car will be spot on again. Still going strong at 145k and no signs of stopping that any time soon.

Last edited:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Still going strong at 145k and no signs of stopping that any time soon.

Spoke too soon. Battery light came on today on the way home. Lots and lots of smoke from the engine bay. Alternator buggered itself. To add to that my mother played a trick on me and ran in telling me my wing had melted.

Turned the boost up to 1.2 bar on the wastegate ;P It only took three and a half threads to turn it up 0.2 bar. Unbelievably fine adjustment.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
All sorted now. Had a spare alternator in the garage from the DCI 80 so chucked that on yesterday. Not quite sure what had gone on the old one but the bearings sounded very rough and there were some melted electricals.

I love this shed. Doing a great job as always mate.
Cheers Iain. She's not doing too bad considering her age. Broom broom

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Not much of an update and more for my records than anything. Serviced the car today using only the finest. Changed the fuel filter, oil filter, air filter and the oil in a record 22 minutes :wink: The fuel filter genuine from Renault is £40 on ebay so I found the delphi part number and got their part, hdf907, for £13. Mileage now is 139926 on the clocks so actually 5800 more than that. Used Miller Nanodrive 5w40 as in my experience it's been an epic oil and if it's good enough for racecars it's definitely good enough for me.

In other news I'm trying to finish all the silly bits of work which need doing to the car before I go away. New rad and coolant on the way. Refurbished turbo from London Turbos should turn up soon as well. These turbos don't come with a chinese CHRA and use a Melett part which is the quality I was after. Got a new rear caliper seal kit too so I can replace the boot on the n/s caliper (currently missing). Should all be good for my drive to Slovenia then.

To add some colour to the post. These are the photos I added to the non-sports thread the other day.
28EF41A5-976E-474F-82BB-AE223B864763_zpsy5hkudep.jpg
48061512-E9FB-4596-91E9-EF7269851A34_zpsa7py2xin.jpg
EF529242-66DC-4BDE-930A-7895FA468D97_zpsqudg3o7t.jpg

7E0B3C80-BCE9-4521-8498-61BA34A82C3E_zps8zqjjjzb.jpg

Will be going to CSS this year definitely so would be good to see some faces up there.

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
This car is soo awesome , puts some real sports to shame in my opinion:up:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
This car is soo awesome , puts some real sports to shame in my opinion:up:

Agreed ^ !
Didn't see these!! Thank you both :smile:

Again it's a boring update but I've spent nearly three solid days working on the car so it's justified I promise. Recently I've been having a few problems with the fan on the heater which could be solved by just shaking a few wires beneath the dash so evidently the issue was with my prowiring.
Next month is my road trip to Slovenia so I needed to get the car in tip top working order before I go so the work started.
First job was to sort out the awful wiring when I rushed putting the climate control in. @AlexW this looks like your handy work :wink: I'll let the pictures talk from here but you can see it was an absolutely awful job I'd done with splice connectors and feeding all the wires through the bonnet release grommet. It's all sorted now and integrated into the loom through the r107 bulkhead connector.

D54DB111-4246-440C-8726-A1AB13617688_zpslpic2dv7.jpg
DSC01476_zpsovujtfts.jpg
DSC01477_zps13riqduo.jpg
DSC01479_zpsziuphyd4.jpg
DSC01480_zpsuwo1rrsu.jpg
DSC01481_zps5t2vlhir.jpg

Decided to take the whole dash loom out to sort it out. Unfortunately the car has rear seatbelt pretensioners so nearly the whole interior had to come out to remove the loom.
FF9A8204-EB17-4E07-8A2D-67C0BAA95D41_zpsuhbqydmr.jpg
06CE0C61-630C-47B4-98AD-7914EA2E7CB4_zpshqjz6zr7.jpg

Biggest bird dump ever nearly got me on the head
5E2FEE30-4758-4AF0-9D7E-1466914168E1_zpsifuprbnj.jpg

06CE0C61-630C-47B4-98AD-7914EA2E7CB4_zpshqjz6zr7.jpg

Never have I had so many comments from passers by saying "that looks like a nightmare", "rather you than me" etc etc
I ended up integrating the cruise control, rain sensor, clutch switch, update list radio display and climate control. Thankfully it now all works perfectly although I still can't get my A/C compressor to kick in. Some gas will help I'm sure.

Next came the rad which had been leaking for absolutely ages. It came with an 80 intercooler I had bought a while back but had pin holes everywhere. The new rad is jolly good for £28 inc delivery. Lots of fresh type D as there was hardly any in the car......
This was less than a half an hour job which was rather satisfying.
AE6E8957-FD01-43B4-A113-CA2B7C74DDAE_zps0sw1lt2d.jpg
6416109C-0349-417B-8639-79779E4820D5_zpssiddfxnv.jpg
91597CD5-A39F-4AF1-9EA9-71DA53D3ACBA_zpsizgqhpnh.jpg

I'd been getting grief from the turinis since I had them refurbed. The wheel bolts would come loose ever couple of thousand mile because there was paint on the mounting surface. Wire brushed that off.
E6B8CE2C-AB63-45E5-97D5-CC7C2FF8F678_zpsa1owtujl.jpg

Today saw me swapping over the ECU kit from Lauren's car so I could utilise her newer N3 UCH. Her car is a base spec so was configured for N2 which is what my car had. Swapped it all over, coded the injectors and other bits and now I have a rain sensor, yippee.

A quick scrub and wipe down with valet pro APC and it was once again a very pleasant place to be.
9112CA3F-5A31-4EAE-B042-36CD40471C73_zpsygkjfzig.jpg
F8BD3EF4-BE87-41A7-A3B7-0D7FF4E049B3_zpsstymtgu4.jpg

There are a few small jobs to be done before I go away
replace caliper seal
find knocking noise from front suspension
adjust the headlight aim (sportlines have made the aim too low)
try to fix a/c
replace turbo
fit engine cover

One thing that didn't work was the alarm. I wired it in to the wires it was attached to on my 172 but to no avail. A bit of time with a multimeter shows it's a tougher job than first anticipated so I need a spare loom to finish off the install 😧

On a side note I took some photos of my trip to Greenwich last night which I thought I'd share. In September we're planning to move to London so I'm not yet sure what's happening with my cars :'(
94A6D926-B017-400D-B6B4-C6E8AEDB63B5_zpstxn3jb34.jpg
C38CD3B6-D763-4789-AF46-2D7A0E6D06E9_zpshvcdjjmi.jpg

Many.
Don't mooove!

My wiring is pukka thank you very much lol.

Glad its all sorted now though, proper job, probably the best sport rep now :(

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Don't mooove!

My wiring is pukka thank you very much lol.

Glad its all sorted now though, proper job, probably the best sport rep now 😧
I would actually be moving closer to you!

You say that but the more I wash it the more the paint falls off! That overspray on the rear 1/4 windows came off the other day ;)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
wish my DCi80 was that tidy inside!! my trophy is *nearly* that clean lol!!

good work, hows the shift with the short shifter? do you run the 4th RS engine mount? ive got loads of play in my engine mounts even with 3 new genuine replacements

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
wish my DCi80 was that tidy inside!! my trophy is *nearly* that clean lol!!

good work, hows the shift with the short shifter? do you run the 4th RS engine mount? ive got loads of play in my engine mounts even with 3 new genuine replacements
ha, I'm sure it is really. I just wish mine was an 80!

It's not a short shift, just a yanoo 1.0, which I absolutely love. Brilliant mod if you can get one at a decent price.
Yeah I've got the fourth mount. Very big reduction in movement. You can get a new genuine dog bone for £13 on ebay :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
This is absolutely amazing, can't believe I've not seen it before.

What colour is it?

What power/torque are you aiming for? Is it safe?

Brilliant effort on the electrics, I wouldn't know where to start.

Turinis and Recaros ftw.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
This is absolutely amazing, can't believe I've not seen it before.

What colour is it?

What power/torque are you aiming for? Is it safe?

Brilliant effort on the electrics, I wouldn't know where to start.

Turinis and Recaros ftw.
Have you not! It's like the plague, I can't get rid of it....I jest. Cheers though mate, people try it on sometimes. If only they knew.

Good question about the colour. It's meant to be gris boreal but it's a far lighter shade than standard so really I have no idea!
Power is standard bar the decat, intercooler and slight turbo actuator adjustment. I guess it might be 70 but I could be very optimistic ;)
I love electrics. It's easily the most satisfying job on a car although I'd never done any before getting this shed so it's a bit of a project to say the least! No fire certificate that's for sure.
Lol the seats and wheels are worth more than the rest of the car, fail on my part