ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photographing Niagara Falls

Guys, driving up to Niagara falls next Monday and taking my DSLR to catch the moment.

Only a amateur at all this, but want to capture the best pictures I can.

What settings would you say I start with to catch waterfall?

Don't really want to be using auto feature as I guess I will only do this once.

I will be taking a tripod and have a remote trigger.

Cheers big ears

If you want blurry water use Shutter Priority (TV on Canon, S on everything else) and use the slowest speed possible depending on how bright it is out. Even in sunlight it should be fine there, 1/4 second will still give you blurry water as it flows very very quickly.

This (not Niagara!) was less than half a second hand-held on a very bright day...

2717374964_24e41abde6_z.jpg

Aberdulais Falls by Harry_S, on Flickr

Last time we went to Niagara it was frozen! Time before that I wanted to try night shots...no chance, incredibly misty. Whatever you do protect your gear, so much moisture in the air.

I would just stick it in aperture priority, smallest aperture, and that will give you the slowest possible shutter speed for your camera in whatever lighting you have.
Then just keep the camera as still as possible when taking photos.

cheers guys, I'll have my tri pod so if it's dark I can capture a longer shutter. ^^^^ that picture is awesome, hopefully mine come out as good as that.

Hoping it's not going to be foggy as today was in NY.

Not got anything to protect my gear with, but I do have a case and like a shower cap if that's what you mean.

Take a tripod or hope there's a good spot to place your camera. Take a picture using an ND filter or a small aperture as Dan said to capture the movement in the water.

dk

911 GTS Cab
id have thought it will be mostly frozen this time of year, which can add some beauty to it, look out for a street lamp with wind swept ice coming off it.

Im not sure its the type of waterfall that looks good with blurring either personally. Lots and lots of spray too.