ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photo Stitching - DOF

Fiat Panda 100hp
I've just added a little something something on my blog about this. Looks incredible, and it's made of 47 pictures taken at f1.4!

3554480740_976bbe5940.jpg

Ian

Focus TDCi
The Brenizer method. :) He's determined for this to catch on lol. Is cool though.

Works...kind of...
Surely to get 'that' many shots the subjects would have to hold the same position for a long amount of time.

I love the effect though.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Not quite understanding this Ben, to me not a lot has been achieved regarding Depth of Field?

It almost has a "tilt shift" approach to it though.

It looks very well done, but just can't see the benefits - I know it can be used to great advantage when taking very detailed macro stuff, as I saw a demo at Focus earlier this year.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
Interesting but I really would need a lot of space for use with a 135L. :) I suppose in his area of expertise, might be a good tool to have.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Not quite understanding this Ben, to me not a lot has been achieved regarding Depth of Field?

It almost has a "tilt shift" approach to it though.

It looks very well done, but just can't see the benefits - I know it can be used to great advantage when taking very detailed macro stuff, as I saw a demo at Focus earlier this year.

It's looks amazing, and gives a dof which wouldn't be achievable from just one shot at 1.4.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
I still look at that top image and can't help think - it could of been achieved in camera?

There is no increase in Depth of Field, looking at the principles of Hyperfocal distance - you have actually ended up LOSING Depth of Field.

Depth of field will always give you 1/3rd in front of a subject and 2/3rds behind the subject at any given aperture and focal length right???

Your Depth of field is sharp up until the point of say 1 ft behind the subjects feet, then drops off drastically - therefore i can't see how this image works???

Also remember Depth of Field is determined by focal length/F no/distance from subject.
So a 1.4 lens from that distance with a 50mm focal length focused on the subject would have much more depth behind the subject when that much in front has been rendered sharp????

nope, waste of time to get some sort of effect thats not actually noticable lol

+1, I'm not really sure whats being achieved that can't be done in the camera.. its probably so subtle that its not worth doing IMO.. maybe its for huge prints? but a 5D + 85L/135L would produce a very similar image.

Last edited:
I

Depth of field will always give you 1/3rd in front of a subject and 2/3rds behind the subject at any given aperture and focal length right???

only for wide angles, gets to 50/50 once you go longer. but I agree with what you are saying

LY 182 FF CUPPED
its not wide angles....it is when you exceed 10 focal lengths/ over the size of your given format or greater!!!....hence why the image at the top doesn't look "technically correct" does it??? as it was taken with a 50mm lens.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't get it, the first pic just looks like a really good camera shot?

its not wide angles....it is when you exceed 10 focal lengths/ over the size of your given format or greater!!!....hence why the image at the top doesn't look "technically correct" does it??? as it was taken with a 50mm lens.

when a lens is focused at the hyperfocal distance, the scene is in "sharp" focus from 1/2 the focused distance distance to infinity. That certainly doesn't fit the 1/3 in front, 2/3 in back rule of thumb, does it!

This widely used rule of thumb is only good when the lens is focused at about 1/3 of the hyperfocal distance (for the aperture set). But in many photo situations, focus distances are considerably shorter than 1/3 the hyperfocal distance, such as with:

- macro or close-up photography
- portrait or animal shots with telephotos

A better rule of thumb for depth of field in these situations is 1/2 in front and 1/2 in back.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Think me and you need to go for a beer and some lens ray diagrams lol ha ha ha

anyone else lost yet????

A red missile
Might not be achieveable at f1.4, but i'd just slap the 100-400 on and get pretty much the same effect in one go. Seems a pointless exercise to me.

GW RS200
Mmmm, it looks pretty good, and very interesting. Definitely thanks for sharing! Pretty certain you could get 98% the same effect with some judicious selection, an alpha with a radial gradient and the lens blur filter, though?