ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 drive shafts

kye172

ClioSport Club Member
  phase 1 172
So looks like i need a pair of drive shafts for my phase 1 172...
Can anyone recommend which to go for.
Would prefer oem part but renault no longer produce them for the phase 1.
Eurocarparts are showing a n/s GKN unit but no offside and also get mixed reviews. Mainly on supplying the correct part.
Otherwise its the J&R or second hand lottery...

Also do 172 cup shafts fit phase 1? Cant seem to find a definitive answer to this.

kye172

ClioSport Club Member
  phase 1 172
Thanks for the replys.

I think j&r could be worth a shot. £90 posted for the pair. Cant really complain at that. Least that way i always have the originals that could be reconditioned in the future.

Cup ones have a different part code aswell but read on her that some have used them on phase 1. Not sure how.

kye172

ClioSport Club Member
  phase 1 172
So i got a pair of j&r shafts which cured the vibration/wobble i was getting when accelerating in any gear above 50mph.

They were easy enough to fit once i realised the plate on the n/s had been slide over the new driveshaft the wrong way.

However now im getting a horrible rumble feeling when turning right but only if its quick enough to transfer the weight onto the n/s wheel.

Could it just be the wheel bearing ive disturbed?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I'd check both sides, wheel bearing is quite possible. Just because it happens when turning right don't discount the fact it could be the drivers side, I've seen bearings rumble when 'weight/force' is taken off them too.

It might just be the case that one of the shafts isn't quite seated 100%

kye172

ClioSport Club Member
  phase 1 172
I'd check both sides, wheel bearing is quite possible. Just because it happens when turning right don't discount the fact it could be the drivers side, I've seen bearings rumble when 'weight/force' is taken off them too.

It might just be the case that one of the shafts isn't quite seated 100%

It certainly seems to be coming from the passenger side. I did have to give the old shaft a quick whack that side to release it from the hub which i didnt have to on the drivers.
How do you mean not 100% seated? At the hub end or the gearbox? I torqued the driveshaft bolt and have double checked it since. I couldnt seem to push the gearbox end in any further.

kye172

ClioSport Club Member
  phase 1 172
Bearings fine. New shafts not. Apart from been a pain having to remove and refit again they are dropping a new one off and collecting the old one at the same time. Fingers crossed this ones all good

kye172

ClioSport Club Member
  phase 1 172
Right then. So got the new shaft out last night ready for the exchange today. After comparing to the original it appeared longer. So seem as the replacement was already on the way i thort id see what turned up. Exactley the same issue on the new one, about 10mm too long. This must have been causing the vibration as it was sitting too far into the box. Spoke to the women at j&r who assured me that was the correct part for my car. But also stated it would fit a cup and any 172 upto 2005 and there was no other part showing.

Also for anyone ordering from j&r the plate that bolts to the gearbox came on both new shafts the wrong way round.

Hopefully the one ive ordered from eurocarparts will turn out to be correct tomorrow.

You wanna buy j&r shaft
fonejacker_charlie_wong.jpg

kye172

ClioSport Club Member
  phase 1 172
You wanna buy j&r shaft
fonejacker_charlie_wong.jpg
Not wrong. Was worth a try for the money. They can have it back. If i had a cup then id say theres a chance it could have fitted.
Picked the one from euro up today. Its a gkn and all seems correct. They did it a damn sight cheaper than on their site too

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I have a couple of genuine phase 1 drive shafts mate from my brother's breaker phase 1. Let me know if you need them if this doesn't work out.

Doesn't surprise me to be honest. Ph1 shafts are known to be 10mm shorter. So fitting a ph2 shaft there is always the risk of the shaft bottoming out in the diff/box.

You could fit a Gripper LSD. That would solve your issues haha.

kye172

ClioSport Club Member
  phase 1 172
I have a couple of genuine phase 1 drive shafts mate from my brother's breaker phase 1. Let me know if you need them if this doesn't work out.
Thanks for the offer but am glad to say euro came up with the goods and all is sorted. The j&r has been sent back, lucky enough to have a UPS trade account at work because it would have hardly been worth sending it back for a refund otherwise.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure they're alright when you fit them though mate, I have an aftermarket one on the O/S of mine (previous owner put it on) and it rubs on the engine block, might be different for the phase 1 ones, just make sure anyway. I'm getting an OEM shaft for mine.

Make sure they're alright when you fit them though mate, I have an aftermarket one on the O/S of mine (previous owner put it on) and it rubs on the engine block, might be different for the phase 1 ones, just make sure anyway. I'm getting an OEM shaft for mine.
GKN are genuine Renault J&R James & Rachel the people you speak to on the phone when the part fails/doesn't fit.

kye172

ClioSport Club Member
  phase 1 172
I think its different on the phase 1, doesnt the phase 2 have another bracket half way down the shaft?
The o/s is still running on the j&r but think ill send my original one via eurocarpart for refurbing. Least it means i can still run the car until its back as they dont have one in stock to do the exchange straight away. Also its only half hour job to swap that side and no need to drain box yet again. The solid j&r does give some vibration/feedback compared to the hollow ones at certain revs.
I wish i could have just bought one straight from reno but they stopped doing them for phase 1 a few years ago.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
so anyone on the getgo for where to get a correct size OS driveshaft for a 172 Phase 1 non cup?
JnR decent price on ebay at £60 odd, but if they dont fit...………………..