ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH2 and track questions

Hi guys

I know the 172 is regarded as a semi decent track car, my question is what are the musts.. any horror stories or general advice?

I know it would be nice to go and buy new 888's, gaz gold etc but its not going to happen right away although spare wheels with track tyres will be bought.

Also, is anything that gets stripped out of the clio worth anything?

Thanks, Yodi

Turbo LY R27
I use my 182 on track, with michelins, pro line springs, rear ARB and camber bolts it's very cabable!! Wanna upgrade the pads but that's it. You'd be suprised how composed and the level of grip on offer as standard!! As long as it has oil in it and is sound you'll be fine :)

Cheers mate, I've had a PH1 before but not 2, I assume other than some refinements they are the same.

I am going to track it as it is first, and make some changes after the first track day as I'd like to experience all the differences.

172 Race Car
Nope, brakes as said and have fun. Spend your money on fuel, tuition and trackdays. Nothing wrong with the car as it is

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Pay attention to your tyre pressures, get them working right.

Apart from that, as above, a little tweak to the brakes is all they really need out of the box...my recommendation would be lines first as I think standard lines are a weak link.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Only other thing to suggest is keep an eye out for used R888's etc on here, ebay & the motorsports parts section of PH classifieds as you can get some epic bargains ;)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys

I know the 172 is regarded as a semi decent track car, my question is what are the musts.. any horror stories or general advice?

I know it would be nice to go and buy new 888's, gaz gold etc but its not going to happen right away although spare wheels with track tyres will be bought.

Also, is anything that gets stripped out of the clio worth anything?

Thanks, Yodi

I've never done a track day my self but would still suggest 15's to save some money...

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I use Toyo R1-R tyres now and they are awesome. Brakes are Brembo HC front discs and DS2500 pads all round. Braided lines and DOT 5.1 fluid. Green cotton air filter in 172 air filter housing. V power unleaded fuel. That's all it needs. Also replaced the engine mountings with K Tec racing ones and Powerflex dogbone bush

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Also replaced the exhaust recently with a stainless cat back scorpion system. That's given a bit of extra power top end and more torque.

If your after Brembo HC discs, go to George (G172). He's very helpful and is the best price around for them. I just ordered mine yesterday. Everyone will recommend him!

Thanks guys

I had T1R's on my MX5 track car and loved them, so then I bought a new set and hated them I realised that the T1r's are good when they have half life or less in them..

The car has gone a huge cone air filter on it, which I will look at removing.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
The cone filter will suck in lots of hot air from the engine. Better using a 172 air filter housing and green cotton performance filter. That eliminates the hot air and ensures you get a decent cold air feed.

WRX
If your after Brembo HC discs, go to George (G172). He's very helpful and is the best price around for them. I just ordered mine yesterday. Everyone will recommend him!

+1

George is a really nice guy, deserves the business. Almost half the price of your ebay link.

220 Trophy
Depending on how many miles you’re planning on doing, you could just leave the 888’s on all the time and save money on not having to buy a 2nd set of wheels/tyres for the track. I started off with a 2nd set and then just left the 888’s on all the time. A friend had an R26R with the 888’s on as standard and he did over 4k miles and a few track days and they still had some tread left when he sold the car.Brakes, then tyres, then suspension, then stripping out some weight…….it goes on and on

Cheers guys I got the car today, although I havent seen or driven it my guy that picked it up said it looks well, it's got an exhaust on it and the filter which I will be removing.

The first thing I will be doing is removing weight as it needs doing anyway, and its free.

It's had new discs/pads all round but I dont know what they are yet..

01cff8a5.gif

918cfd0d.gif

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Depending on how many miles you’re planning on doing, you could just leave the 888’s on all the time and save money on not having to buy a 2nd set of wheels/tyres for the track. I started off with a 2nd set and then just left the 888’s on all the time. A friend had an R26R with the 888’s on as standard and he did over 4k miles and a few track days and they still had some tread left when he sold the car.Brakes, then tyres, then suspension, then stripping out some weight…….it goes on and on

^^I disagree with you a bit on that, once R888's are below the legal tread there's still plenty of life left in them for track days. 1 pair I've got on mine were bought at just legal tread & I've done 4 track days on them and about to do 1 more in a week or so.
I'd say that it's well worth having some normal road tyres so you're legal to drive to & from the track but they're also very handy if you have a wet track day because well worn R888's wont be much good - caused me a little trip into a gravel trap at Oulton that did :eek:

TO be honest standard wheels are so inexpensive that I'd always buy a set and out 888's on them.

I also would waste 888 on the road

Nothing massive I'd be happy with some standard wheels, just dont want to waste the 888's on the road even for a mile.

Are PH1 wheels good enough to use?

Clio 172
PH1 Oz F1's are superb for track use. I have two sets, one that is being refurbed and powder coated and then getting some federal's on them for track day useage.

Clio 172
Oh yes indeed sir. Having done Donington last weekend and had a few laps with people running them and the fact they are about a third cheaper than 888's it was a no brainer. Have to add Dan the rear arb is also a must.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've got OZ F1 15" rims on mine and they're great for track use. The only thing I am Carewful about is hitting any potholes with them on because they are prone to bending. I've had to have rims straightened twice after hitting holes where bad weather had left potholes. I've also got a set of Wolfrace 17" rims with 205/40 x17 tyres on them but they catch the arches if you drive it hard over a twisty B road. I've used them on track as well and they are ok but they slide a bit and screech when they get hot.

Thanks Mark, I started a new thread about my car now too.

Ideally I'd like 15's as the tyres are also that much cheaper, and hopefully no pot holes on track which is the only place I will use them :)