ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 vs ph2 prices

iceberg phase 2 172
Hi guys I've currently got a ph2 172 again, but I'm looking at getting a ph1 now, what's the deal price wise? Some people are classing the ph1 as a classic now so they want extra etc, which would u say was worth more atm, both in same condition, milage etc

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
There's not much difference at the minute but in a couple of years good Ph1's will be more sort after (especially the rarer colours)

Personally I would have a Ph1 over a Ph2 every day of the week. I just prefer how they look.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
£1500 should get you a reasonable one. An immaculate one should cost no more than £2k IMO.

Mine was £1500 with a few good bits on it, but also a few niggles.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
^^ Unless you're delusional ofcourse haha.

Was looking in for sale section last night, just confirms the fact I'll keep the car for now. These 182's are cheap as anything, be lucky to get £2k for mine at a guess.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Ph1's just need a cup/v6 spoiler and a coded boot button and they're perfect :)

Oh and chrome interior handles!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
You cant generalise to much on Phase 1s because theres so much to check - however like for like theres still around 500 / 750 difference between the 2 models.

S

Ph1
Ph1's just need a cup/v6 spoiler and a coded boot button and they're perfect :)

Oh and chrome interior handles!

Nah standard look is the way forward now.

Ph2 172 is probably the least desirable of all the Sports, bar the Cup of course.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I don't think you could buy an immaculate Ph1 tbh.

Anyone that had one wouldn't sell it for 2k anyway, cost more than that in parts to make it mint. (belts/gearbox/clutch/suspension etc etc).

Ph1
I don't think you could buy an immaculate Ph1 tbh.

Anyone that had one wouldn't sell it for 2k anyway, cost more than that in parts to make it mint. (belts/gearbox/clutch/suspension etc etc).

But that goes for a shitter. Even a rough one your still paying nearly the cars value to keep it maintained on the belts and box front

2005 clio 182
i prefer my phase 2 182 to my old phase 1, there just seemed to be so many little annoying niggles on the phase 1, i know its because there French, but there was so many rattles, and the dreaded sticking throttle cable really pissed me off, the 182 just feels a bit fresher, your never going to make mega money from them, as they are originally built to be cheap hot hatches from new.
itll take a good few years yet for them to be worth more, you can still get a gt turbo for £2k at the moment

Price wise the ph2 172 does not compare to a ph1 - in other words an average ph1 would go for more than an average ph2.

Ph1 would more be in the bracket range of a FF182 imo.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not sure about that. Ph2 172 has xenons, dual zone climate control, some have cruise control, all have auto lights/wipers.

Your average 10 year old hot hatch buyer doesn't mind that the cat doesn't flow as well. That the intake is not as good, that FBW is somehow inferior to a cable and the other little advantages the Ph1 has.

It's not the kind of car you buy for a cheap motoring experience. I know they're not a lot of money, but they almost all need something doing and you won't get that money back at sale time.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I paid £750 for my Ph1, did have 135k miles on the clock (147k miles now). Then I spent £500 on a new cam belt.

When I come to sell it in a few years I am not expecting mega bucks for it, I am just trying to retain some value in it with the things I am doing to it (although the orange wheels may have messed that plan up!) like get the bumper and bonnet resprayed, making sure it is tidy etc.

For other hot hatches I have seen you can spend a lot more than £2k on...but these are like XR2/Supersport, Metro GTa for absolute mint ones, but those types of cars don't really fall into the same category as a Clio

RB 182 cup
cheap phase 1s do come along, i got mine on 70k a year ago for a grand and it was very nice tbh, was a decent one. But at the same time, some get advertised at £2000+ give it another year and i think early ph2 172s will have fallen in value enough a clear definition will be made.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
The 172 Cup should in theory be more desirable that the non Cup versions: firstly it has less to go wrong; secondly it performs better which is surely the rationale for anyone buying a hot hatch; thirdly its lack of comfort is not going to be an issue in the future as all these Clios are now old cars hence will not be daily drivers for much longer; fourthly is scarcity value.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Fair enough straight ones are a bit more rare, but there's loads of 172 cups on AT whenever I've looked.

Performance is debatable as it's more to do with how healthy the engine is than having rubbish seats and no aircon/ABS.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Cups are lighter and have improved turn-in, so will appeal more in the future to those that hanker for an old school hot hatch. The seats in mine are fine.

Listerine & Poledo
Not sure about that. Ph2 172 has xenons, dual zone climate control, some have cruise control, all have auto lights/wipers.

Your average 10 year old hot hatch buyer doesn't mind that the cat doesn't flow as well. That the intake is not as good, that FBW is somehow inferior to a cable and the other little advantages the Ph1 has.

It's not the kind of car you buy for a cheap motoring experience. I know they're not a lot of money, but they almost all need something doing and you won't get that money back at sale time.

Ph.1 for the "real hardocre drivers" (the ones that must save 1kg of weight, but still go for the biggest burgers on the menu

Ph.2 for the more civilised Clio owner who sometimes just wants to get to work in the morning without having to tap into their Hidden Harris

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ph.1 for the "real hardocre drivers" (the ones that must save 1kg of weight, but still go for the biggest burgers on the menu

Ph.2 for the more civilised Clio owner who sometimes just wants to get to work in the morning without having to tap into their Hidden Harris

Sort of, unless you're either into Clio heritage (lol) or you appreciate those differences (I do), there's little reason you'd buy one over a Ph2 other than it being cheaper.

Ph1s are the best though. Double cheeseburger please.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member

My Ph1 isn't civilised....stripped out, lowered, loud exhaust, no stereo and orange wheels....yes, I sort of agree with this but not the burger bit!!! haha

Renault clio 172 ph1
haha I sold my ph1 to my dad for 1k only had 31k on it and completely standard and in mint condition :D.

Want a track car now :D