ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 turbo project

Ph1 172, Accord
Hi folks, thought I'd start a build thread as I've just took the jump from a few choice modifications, to a full scale turbo build. Apolgies for the quality of pics you're about to witness.

Anyway after toying with the idea of yet another Civic I was swayed when I seen a saw an immaculate Ph1 flamer on the motorway. The search was on!

Took me a few weeks but I found an 82k pearl black Ph1 on autotrader for a decent price from a garage near Preston. Went down to view it and almost immediately fell in love with it. Put down the deposit and went to pick it up a week later after the tracking was done.

DSC_0190.jpg

Only modification being a powerflow exhaust and Ph2 rear lights, it wasn't long until I started adding bits.

Got some GAZ coilovers off weeksy from here (who I believe is now banned)
IMG_20141017_175243.jpg

Bought some Ktec 19mm front spacers and some 10mm rear shims with standard camber. forgot to take pics.

Got myself a fabia splitter
DSC_0228.jpg

Started stripping the rear of anything that remotely resembled an interior
DSC_0195.jpg

Followed Fattys induction kit thread and got myself one
20150329_153646.jpg

Then I took the car up to Progrip to have the allignment done. Upon arrival it became apparent that my osf balljoint had a little too much play in it so we sacked it off.
DSC_0251.jpg

Within that week I had found some cup wishbones with powerflex bushes on them, complete with brand new lemforder balljoints. A short trip to Carlisle to see Russ (and his awesome race car!) and they were mine.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417115677.145069.jpg

IMG_20141128_195503.jpg

The car sat like this for a few months while I was having troubles with my Mk4 golf daily. Put it on the back burner.

Ph1 172, Accord
Got rid of my Mk4 daily and replaced it with a Honda Accord I-Ctdi, absolutely love this car on my 330 mile commute to work.
20150614_151747.jpg

Back to the Clio.....

As a Christmas present my mother was kind enough to buy me an OMP wheel and boss. Can't believe the difference this thing makes, one of the best mods by far! Also removed the vibration mounts from the seats as a temporary fix to the horrible driving position.
20141203_163959.jpg

20150328_133258.jpg

Gave my inlet and fuel rail gaurd a lick of paint. makes the bay look much tidier now.
IMG_20150409_174349.jpg

Saw a nice Bimarco Futura seat with omp side mounts and subfames on here at a good price so I thought I'd snap it up. Even if it was only one.
20150515_105326.jpg

And fitted.....,.
IMG_20150516_131458.jpg

A polybushed dogbone thanks to Tom off here
20150515_105402_1.jpg

20150515_130522.jpg

At this point I'd been firing a few emails back and forth to Andy at Clioturbo about the possibility of either fitting some itb's or a low boost turbo kit. My initial plan was for his 230bhp kit but seeing as my belts are due anyway I opted for his stage 2 kit which should see in the region of 270-280bhp. Safe to say I was excited. Car was booked in for about a month later.

In the mean time I got a sabelt harness purely so I could legally and safely drive the car to him. Also got some vibratechnics engine mounts.
IMG_20150619_204022.jpg

Then yesterday I took the car down to Clio Turbo, left the car in the very capable hands of Andy and his team. Now I'm playing the waiting game while they work their magic. Currently awaiting some gauges to turn up so I can send them down.

Future plans once it's back are Safety Devices half cage. A brake refresh and more polybushing.

Ph1 172, Accord
Yeah mate work away during the week so only back home every other weekend. If I done that daily I'd die! haha.

Ph1 172, Accord
Just got them direct from vibratechnics I think. Went for the road kit instead of the solid mounts. Unsure on if all of them come black now.

Ph1 172, Accord
Quick update. New longlife cup racer zorst, 2.5" which should help with the turbo. Going to go over it with some metal polish when I get a chance.

DSC_0088.jpg

Also ordered some ramair cold air feeds so I can make some brake ducts up. New track rod ends and tie rods. Think my gauges showed up today as well, hopefully I'll get a pic later.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thought I recognised that workshop lol, Progrip are 2 minutes round the road from me. Did you toy with selling this a few months back? Sure I seen the car on a post on the CS Scotland fb page.

Plans sound awesome though, will be keeping an eye on this one.

Ph1 172, Accord
Forgot to add in the original posts, it also has some Ns2r's on it now as well. Will be getting the rear two at the end of the month.

Thought I recognised that workshop lol, Progrip are 2 minutes round the road from me. Did you toy with selling this a few months back? Sure I seen the car on a post on the CS Scotland fb page.

Plans sound awesome though, will be keeping an eye on this one.

Yeah took it up on a whim to get the Geo setup, bit stupid really as I'm not finished with the suspension yet haha.
Did toy with the thought of selling it to get a Meg R26 but was convinced by my mates to keep it, I'm so glad I did!
Hopefully will have it up Knockhill at some point in the not too distant future. Once my mate has built his K20 Em1.

It will be quick mate, very quick.

Oh I know! Funny thing is I've never even been in a turbo Clio of any form, so I should be pleasantly surprised ha.

Ph1 172, Accord
Means I'll have to start using it more often. Only done 2.5k in the last year and a 1/4 of that was a trip to work and back when the golf was on its last legs haha.

turbo 182
I'd keep the standard box myself and if you get a diff fitted get it all fully built inside at the same time

Ph1 172, Accord
I'd keep the standard box myself and if you get a diff fitted get it all fully built inside at the same time

Yeah I'll probably start saving some money towards a quaife next year. Ideally I want everything else done before then. Diff will be one of the last bits.

Ph1 172, Accord
Another update.

Picked up some new track rod ends and tie rods this weekend.
20150711_145010.jpg

Haven't been home in the last week but my gauges have turned up. Boost, oil temp and oil pressure. Only autogauge ones but I had one in my Starlet and it done the job well enough.

Also ordered one of the half cages from the group buy this morning. Unsure when I'll have it but in no rush at the minute.

Finally the tax man has been fisting me hard, so I'm due a little back off him. £750ish to be precise. Going to refresh the brakes and polybush the arb and steering rack. Got a good idea of brakes and pads. Brembo hc fronts, OEM rears. Pads though.... I wanted ferodo ds2500's on the front and OEM rear. But the reviews I've had of the brake dust eating wheels is putting me off. Can anyone suggest another alternative?

turbo 182
Ds2500 will not eat your wheels, I had new white wheels done a trackday with them using ds2500 pads the wheels weren't washed for a week so the sun had been at them aswell, all they needed to he back to brand new again was smart wheels at 4:1 and agitation with a wash mitt

Ph1 172, Accord
Ah good stuff, I'm all for function over form but wasn't up for a refurb every few months haha. Think I'll just go with the Ferodo's then.

turbo 182
I'm selling mine standard caliper fitment, they've done 2.5 track days not sure what material is left but they look half used at most if your interested to try them before paying full price?

Ph1 172, Accord
I'm just going to go for them brand new from RTR Parts on here mate. I have no doubt they're more than up to the job, its just the extreme dust I was worried about. Thanks for the offer though :)

Skoda Fabia VRS
Will keep an eye on this, going to be a brilliant toy when done! Make sure you don't accidentally end up using the Clio once finished for your works commute, you may die.

Ph1 172, Accord
Drove it for 2 hours down to Clio Turbo and it was painful on the buttocks to say the least. Think I'd need an ass transplant after the drive down south!

turbo 182
I'm just going to go for them brand new from RTR Parts on here mate. I have no doubt they're more than up to the job, its just the extreme dust I was worried about. Thanks for the offer though :smile:
I wouldn't be so sure lol, that's why I'm upgrading to brembo 4 pots and ds1.11 albeit its ALOT more track biased than road, once you start boosting and having a little play especially on B roads youl be on the brakes a lot more than you realise

Ph1 172, Accord
Will be keeping an eye out for brembos especially when I start tracking it. Right now though I'll experiment with uprated discs and pads, see how it goes before going big brakes.

clio 182
I stuck brembos on mine and I don't do track days tbf.. The best purchase I've done yet. Scenic 300mm discs with megane brembos and the adapters with braided lines came to about 500 quid.
You won't regret it.

Ph1 172, Accord
Will 300mm discs fit under F1's? That seems a lot cheaper than the price I had in my head to be fair...

Ph1 172, Accord
Good stuff good stuff, looks like it's settled on the ds2500's then.

Another small but awesome update. Ordered some PMS solid top mounts and brace the other day. Picked up some Speedline 2118s last night, don't have any pics as they're caked in brake dust. Will get one once they're clean. Going for a refurb on Saturday back to anthracite.

Really really really can't wait to get the car back now.

Ph1 172, Accord
Few updates from the weekend. Finally got home!

As I mentioned in my previous post I picked up some Speedline 2118's last week. Didn't intend on buying new wheels but these were quite local to me and I'm terrible with money. They are currently away being refurbed back to anthracite which I think will suit the car better.
20150717_193425.jpg

PMS solid top mounts and brace arrived, the mounts look so awesome it's a shame they'll be hidden away.
20150717_195218.jpg

20150717_200604.jpg

Cage arrived in less than a week! The welds look good enough to me and it's made of sturdy stuff. Have no doubt when installed correctly it'll do more than not having one. Painted It Ford moonstone grey with a rattle can. Looks ok but not the greatest.
IMG_20150717_201138.jpg

Painted
20150720_140058.jpg

Gauges showed up, hopefully they work.
20150717_193552.jpg

The car is still with Andy so it'll be a good few weeks before I can start fitting what I've got. Going to be good fun.

Last edited:
  Ph1 172, Accord
I know I had a chuckle to myself as well. Oh the irony!

Saying that FedEx made a good job of testing it out for me, bent one of the feet plates a little and scratched it down one side. Grrreat thanks FedEx haha.