ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 Trackday Toy

Clio 172 ph1, others
I bought this just before christmas, especialy for track days. Had a few goodies on it allready, but has now been caged and setup by Mark Fish.

Yet to get on track, but otherwise it's a riot to drive. Think I may have made a bit of a mistake with the seat, comfortable, but visibilty isn't great!

IMG-20130216-00321.jpgIMG-20130216-00322.jpgIMG-20130216-00325.jpgIMG-20130216-00326.jpgIMG-20130216-00327.jpgIMG-20130216-00329.jpgIMG-20130217-00330.jpg

Ph1 172 (titanium)
Looks like a decent start,
Not fan of ph2 rear on ph1, but I'm a bit of a purist.
Definitely needs some more strippage if its just for track :)

Clio 172 ph1, others
I'll see how I get on. The idea is that I still have some comfort and it's not too noisy when I drive it there (for example this will hopefully inlude Spa and the Ring later on :))

Get some ear plugs for the drive to ring and Spa ;) lol my head was ringing 5 hours later esp with poly widows and no radio to listen too haha

Lovely looking car, Did Mark do geometry set up and corner waiting? I recently used his set up at Spa and was amazed... Like driving a totally different car ( on track).

Clio 172 ph1, others
Thanks. Came with Ph2 rear end when I bought it.

Quite like it, almost wonder what ph1 lights and the ph2 rear bumper would look like?

Mark Set the ride heights and geometrey, but no corner weghting at this stage.

Couldn't say as for the cost, he does it on a case by case basis. The cage was supplied and fitted by him and he did some other work, so we came to an arrangent. I wouldn't say its overpriced, you have to remember you are paying for the know how and attention to detail more than anything else.

I have a Pure motorsports air con removal kit to fit when I get round to it, that should save a few kg's. Can't be bothered to take it all apart again at the moment, am off to snetterton on the 4th of next month.

Clio 182 trophy
i didnt think they let buckets with side restaints round anymore???? maybe not true but only what ive heard.

Clio 172 ph1, others
Can't see how harness or seat would be a propblem, all bolted down to the floor with spreader plates etc.

More worried about my lack of straight line speed on those straights! My first trackday apart from hiring a R26R at the ring.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Get rid or that standard passenger seat for something more lightweight!

Looks good though mate.

Clio 172 ph1, others
Well, had a great day at Snetterton last week, the clio proved to be ideal, was also surprised how well i kept up with some other cars in a straight line.

Fitted the Sabelt Titan without head reastraints, and it's perfect! Have another one on it's way to replace the standard passenger seat.

The main problem apart from my driving style which tends to mean I go in a bit hot, was that the car understeered quite a lot. Going to talk to mark fish and see what we can do.

The instructors at snetterton were really helpful, and suggested either softening up the front or stiffening the rear.

The car came with Gaz GHA coilovers, and dissapointingly, you cant adjust the damping on the front.

I did try increasing the damping stiffness on the back a few clicks, and it made it maybe a little better, but not by much. Ceratinly made it worse for comfort on the drive back after I forget to change them back.

I have a whiteline ARB which is in it's shortest setting/the first hole.

Need to dial this undrsteer out as it's annoying! Gaz were not very helpful on the phone when I rang to check whether I could adjust damping on the front.

Long term think I might consider different coilovers, but not many seem to be absolutely fully adjustable.... Any recomendations?

SQ5
FK Konigsports, but are you under steering because of that or are you too hard onto the power before the wheels are straight.

Clio 172 ph1, others
instructor agreed car was understeering, also not helped by my driving, a combination of the two. really tried to improve this...

SQ5
Snetterton is an easy track to under steer on now, if you were giving too much power while wheels were still turned that would be why.

Imagine full throttle is straight then half throttle would be turning as such. You should then progress exactly the same so your hitting full throttle just as your wheels go straight. It takes some practice but I'd imagine that's your problem. Under steering can usually be cancelled out by doing that then if its still doing it after your technique is correct it could be any suspension component.

But the Gaz Coilovers are horrendous for Clios.

2000 X PH1 172
Ha my old Clio! I knew I'd finally find it, quick one this I run a 14.2 at Santa Pod with this, hope you're enjoying it.