ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH1 throttle position sensor problem?

172 ph-quick
Had a longstanding, niggling annoyance with my car and just wondering if anyone else is the same? If im in slow moving traffic and off the throttle, when i go to apply it again it takes a bit of throttle before suddenly jolting the car then driving like normal. General driving causes no other problems apart from when i pull away (using slight throttle), the revs rise, die back to idle then pick up again causing a jerky pull away, this all happens in a second.
Im aware of sticking throttles etc but mines been thoroughly cleaned and is smooth to use, and my engine mounts are fine (have yet to double check the gearbox mount though as cba with removing the battery.)
The only reason im curious is i was fault finding on my gf's fiesta, her tps has packed up so i left it disconnected for now, which has caused it to drive similar to my car at slow speeds, jerky on light throttle etc. Could my tps have packed up without me realising? its been doing it since i got the car 2 yrs ago though. Just assumed it was a ph1 thing till now?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Ideally, compare it to another ph1. My bet is that the throttle body is the problem. I say that because on mine the throttle was sticky and in the past I tried cleaning it, dismantling it completely, greasing up the spline, fitting a new throttle cable and re-routing the cable to make it feel smother. I am now on my third replacement throttle body - the latest one cost £10 and has been brilliant (smooth!). I bought all the replacements from scrap yards or from Ebay.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I should add - there is a version of the throttle body you can use on the ph1 that Renault fitted to the Megane. I has an extra brass tube on the base. The part numbers are the same though. It's what I have now and as I said, it works just great.

Clio 172
Rob- i have just got a megane one did you have to change the throttle cable? it seems to be postioned different to the one on the car?

172 ph-quick
ok cheers, ill keep an eye out at my local scrappys, just feels electrical if you know what i mean. action etc of the body itself is lovely but if i can find a cheap enough replacement ill give it a crack anyway.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Rob- i have just got a megane one did you have to change the throttle cable? it seems to be postioned different to the one on the car?

Nope. Just bolted it straight on. The arm was in exactly the right place. Make sure it has the same part number as the original.
Cheers