ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 looks

Clio 172 Cup
Id get a ph1, looks more sporty, also two words.....

ROAD TAX!!!(pre march 2001, vs post march 2001)

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
If you want exclusivity then it has to be a Phase 1 in Sunflower. How many were sold in the UK ?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Tough one, over 'normal' phase 2s I prefer the phase 1, but the blue 172 Cups do look great.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Screw the Ph2...

Ph1 for the win :eek:

Reno1.jpg

Reno4.jpg

Ph1 172
I was in a similar situation myself last year, the ph2 172s in my price range were a sheds, or cat D so decided to opt for the ph1.

On a whole i prefer the look of a ph2, however the ph1 is deff less common which does make it feel a bit more special. The dash on the ph1 is awful though, hate looking at it.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I was in a similar situation myself last year, the ph2 172s in my price range were a sheds, or cat D so decided to opt for the ph1.

On a whole i prefer the look of a ph2, however the ph1 is deff less common which does make it feel a bit more special. The dash on the ph1 is awful though, hate looking at it.

call me old fashioned but i look at the road when im driving lol :rasp:

Sorry i had to...

Ph1 172
lol you should try it some time, its the orange lights i can't get enough of, makes the drive far more interesting!

172 Exclusive... For Sale
Hi all i need a bit of help here. Looking to get a 172 later this year but i just cannot decide between the phase 1 and phase 2. I used to own a cup which in my opinion is the best looking of the lot but with a budget of around 3-4k a decent cup is out of the question and a phase 1 seems like the best choice.
I cannot help thinking that the phase 2 just looks better and more modern though and i simply cannot decide whether to get a decent ph1 or a bit of a sh*tty ph2 with more miles on just for the exterior looks of the thing, so please give me your opinions and make the decision for me lol.

I was in the exact same position 2 weeks ago.

Owned a Clio Cup 172 in blue, wrote it off.

Had a budget of 3-4k and bout a Ph1 172 Exclusive (green) for 3K with 70,000 miles. Now the way i see it, I can't seeing the price getting under 2K at all for mine. And will keep its value if I keep it tidy and an eye on the mileage.

I'm not too bothered about the looks but I'd prefer a phase 2 so will get round to a ph2 bumper. However looks are subjective, some folks love the "retro" image of old sheds ;)

Cash wise I'd say you buy a good Phase 1 and spend the rest on a holiday like I did. With a Phase 2 thats got a peculiar history you've got to watch the costs of new parts and wear and tear.

Chocolate Bar™
huge compliment thanks! Yours would be one of the only ph2's i'd swap for, yours or alis old one

i love my ph1. the only things I would change/replace to a ph1 from a ph2 would have to be:

ph2 rear bumper, ph2 sidestrips and ph2 rear lights.... for example middo's ph1 is a perfect example of how i would have loved renualt to have done to the ph1 172 originally

Black R26, Iceburg 172
How does the exclusive compare to the cup Nomad? I used to have a cup so would be a good comparision to get an opinion of going from the cup to a phase 1.

172 Exclusive... For Sale
How does the exclusive compare to the cup Nomad? I used to have a cup so would be a good comparision to get an opinion of going from the cup to a phase 1.

Its funny going into the older Phase 1 car what with air-con, ABS, leather seats and an Alpine changer. Its got the more "vital" luxuries you appreciate although I can't help but believe the Cup was aesthetically far more pleasing. Once you're driving the Ph.1 and driving via both A Road and B Road the more you realise you have these novelties (Air-con on Sunday afternoon driving in Leeds was a godsend) yet it feels more connected to the car although the Cup felt more planted. I'd like to say the Cup was more fun but I have to admit the Exclusive Ph.1 is just as chuckable and confident. However, maybe its due to the age of the Ph.1 compared to the Cup but the Ph.1 doesn't feel have the frantic smoothness as a Cup although port matching might sort this out.

A poor man's Cup the Ph.1 maybe but when i realise what i did with the 2K price difference the transition was well worth it especially considering the market at the moment. The more i drive the Ph.1 the less I miss the Cup...