ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 exhaust confusion...

Exclusive no. 144
I've done a search and can't find the answer I'm after, so hopefully someone can give a definitive answer :)

Early ph1 had the single lambda before the cat, late ph1 (like my Exclusive) have another after the cat... So, does that mean my KTR cat back system will fit ph2 as well as ph1? The KTR website has option for ph1 or ph2, and not 2 options for the ph1 like I imagined there might be if there were 2 different cats on the ph1... hence my confusion! Someone please put me out my misery and call me an idiot if I'm completely wrong!

Thanks, folks :)

330i. E30 Touring.
K-tec exhausts fit all 1*2's iirc.

They have a sleeve joint at the cat end which you can extend and shorten as required.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
basically the phase 2 172 and twin lambda phase 1 172 systems are the same fitment, only the early single lambda phase 1 172 systems are different (longer)

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
basically the phase 2 172 and twin lambda phase 1 172 systems are the same fitment, only the early single lambda phase 1 172 systems are different (longer)

+1 this man speaks the truth!

Thats why i got my Genuine exhaust for £40 :D

Exclusive no. 144

Quick ques- when you say longer do you mean the cat on the early ones was longer, or the centre section is longer?

Looking at centre sections it looks like:

early 172s were 128cm centre section: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/R...4f67ce9e0ff8e49f3fcc25cec7cfc8d5dd3615&000430

later 172s were 124cm centre section: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/R...c41b7efd055ee1506e8036b3d00aaebed9cf3c&000430

If that's right and I have the cat with the extra lambda after the cat, I need the shorter centre section, right?

Sorry for being a dumbass, it's just awkward when you type in your reg and the parts site tells you contradictory parts!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
yes as you say, its the centre section on the early ones that's longer as the cat is shorter. for yours with the 2 lambdas you need the short centre section as your cat is longer, rofl!

phase 1 flamer 172
And just to confirm , phase 2 cat back exhaust fits later phase 1,s with the 2 lambda probes on the cat, or phase etc

Exclusive no. 144
yes as you say, its the centre section on the early ones that's longer as the cat is shorter. for yours with the 2 lambdas you need the short centre section as your cat is longer, rofl!

Well at least you got to rofl at me, matey! Thanks for the swift reply- just trying to get the parts ordered up now- if I type my reg in, it says I should have the long centre section hence why I wanted to make sure... Raaaaaarrrr!! :banghead:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
wasn't so much at you rather than at my attempts to explain being a bit convoluted :)

usually find parts finders on reg aren't great at the little differences like that, knowledge is power though so good call coming to the forums and hope you get sorted :)

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Well.
I can confirm that there is indeed a difference.

Tried fitting my new exhaust and turns out I was sold one for a phase 1 ! It's too long lol

welder to the rescue!!

Exclusive no. 144
Well.
I can confirm that there is indeed a difference.

Tried fitting my new exhaust and turns out I was sold one for a phase 1 ! It's too long lol

welder to the rescue!!

A KTR exhaust? Was speaking to a guy at K-Tec today, and as Budgie says- the pipe connected to the flange that slides into the centre section can be cut down- no welding should be required :)