ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Rough Idle

Clio 172 ph1, others
The idle of my car has never been great, and I'm told it's a bit of a trait. I think the car has the RS tuner 98 ron map, but not completely sure.

Anyway, its always been fine until a recent trackday.

Towards the end of the day I started to get a high idle, at say, 2000rpm.

Then on the way home my idle was very low and lumpy, at 750 rpm, sometimes even 500 rpm, whereas before it was about 1000rpm. It doesnt quite stall, but gets very close.

It runs well at all other points through the rev range.

What can I do? I have cleaned out the idle stabilisation valve and also sprayed/cleaned up the throttle body a bit.

I think maybe I need to fit a catch tank? There wasnt much sign of oil/deposits etc.

The car has a fresh throttle body last year judgeing by the receipts.

any help would be much appreciated!

SQ5
Mine have tended to idle high once getting really hot on Trackdays. Could be a leak somewhere after the throttle body but only opening up once there is a lot of heat there.

Lumpy Clios are fine thoug

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I doubt it has a fresh throttle body as you can't get them for Ph1s any longer (flippin wish you could!). Typical symptoms of an idle control valve needing to be replaced.

53 Clio's & counting
As Rob has said i'd say icv - my first Clio I went through 3 of the flippin things in 60,000 miles

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Tried to get a TB from Renault about 12 months ago and was told that they are listed, non available though and I am highly unlikely to get one as the car's quite old.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Surprising as the Mk3 cup-racer uses the same TB, and there has to be parts availability for those. I bet RSport in Wimbledon can still get them

Clio 172 ph1, others
Fitted a new isv today, and it made no difference.

When i start the car from cold it gives it more revs for a while and as per normal, but after that I get the lumpy 700 or so rpm idle.

A lot of air is coming out of the isv and back into the hose that goes into the air
filter, you can hear and feel it.

Where do I go from here? Checked the vac hoses a little. The grey sender on the drivers side of the inlet is a bit of a loose fit.

Angus

Clio 172 ph1, others
Anyone? There is a screw that adjusts the throttle stop that I have yet to adjust, will try that when next with the car.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Fitted a new isv today, and it made no difference.

When i start the car from cold it gives it more revs for a while and as per normal, but after that I get the lumpy 700 or so rpm idle.

A lot of air is coming out of the isv and back into the hose that goes into the air
filter, you can hear and feel it.

Where do I go from here? Checked the vac hoses a little. The grey sender on the drivers side of the inlet is a bit of a loose fit.

Angus

I just checked on mine from a cold start and the air is being sucked into the idle control valve pipe and not blown out of it.

Mec 350 slk manual
The grey air temp sensor are peanuts to buy a new one , mine is the other way round but for some strange reason it getting better it used to stick around the 1500_2000k but now it's going back to the 1000k ,

Clio 172 ph1, others
I'm pretty sure I have found the culprit. The TPS sensorI took it off and used some switch cleaner on it, wiggled it about etc.

There is also some slop in the two mounting holes, so I pushed it slightly so that it is adding a little throttle.

Now idles at about 1300 on this cold day. The revs do hang a bit though, so going to get one ordered. Hopefully it will be quite cheap.