ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Renault Sport Clio

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Copied from pistonheads so sorry if any formatting is incorrect!

So after a lot of umming and arring, about fifty "What car" threads in GG. I decided on a Renault Sport Clio.

Why?

I wanted something that COULD do 40mpg, that was well specced, that was comfy and could rival my beloved VTS' performance but keep the reliablity.

I decided on a 182, the cruise control being the deciding factor. I'm really geeky about gadgets, and Cruise Control is one of them things I "need" in a car.

Unfortunately, buying a Clio Sport is not a simple matter. Of the cars I saw on the internet, the good ones were already sold or sold before I could see them, or they were hundreds of miles away. The local cars were overpriced or sheds. Things weren't going so smoothly. I spent around a month going to see various 182s and 172 Cups. For some reason, dealers don't want to sell a RS Clio to an 18 year old. I obviously appeared as a timewaster, **** knows how, but it pissed me off. Anyway I was looking over the classifieds one day and found this PH1 172 in Blue. Something about the car jumped out to me, and the owner was giving all the right signals. Upon going to see the car that evening I knew it was the right car, but I struggled to convince my head. My heart was set ;)

2 days later I went to pick the car up.

It has been modified, but maturely.. The previous owner was late 20's and was quite the Clio enthusiast (it would seem).... I did intend to get the car detailed this weekend and get some professional pictures, but the weather has been a b1tch today. I did manage to get some springs fitted. Anyway.. pictures tell a thousand words...the first are from my first drive in the car the day after getting it.

dffd98a1.jpg

7cf75fdc.jpg

80a845aa.jpg

cd63fa49.jpg

b356b18c.jpg

307a5c97.jpg

d54ecfe5.jpg

+ what I've been up to today:

bc463314.jpg

Bought some new tools
0bd0795c.jpg

Got the springs fitted
d2602a5f.jpg

e7e3b836.jpg

27e05e16.jpg

bc0cfa8f.jpg
abbe17fc.jpg

Before:
bb153013.jpg

After:
f2482216.jpg

Only a slight drop, hopefully the handling will improve. The handling isn't a patch on the Primera!

The car makes a slight noise as the window drops on the drivers side, I figured out it was the 182 interior door cards which don't quite fit right and are knocking on the glass. Upon refitting the door cards, the wind took my door and smacked it against the wall.

4dd5a7e3.jpg

Hello MR Dint.

I was gutted, and absolutely fuming about how stupid I had been. That was at about 4pm and I've just about got over it (with thanks to Peter Griffin)

I have a few mods planned for the car, I'm not too keen on the alloys but I know they are good ones (OZ Ultraleggera) - perhaps they will grow on me.

I want to get the car breathing a bit better, get it serviced and maybe get rid of the cat :shoot:
5720068218_65f0a7e056_b.jpg

Untitled by danny2107, on Flickr
5719511717_3b4d10795e_b.jpg

5719517789_3a64610976_b.jpg

5719521679_2733480bb8_b.jpg

Essay over.

Dan

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Cheers pal, I expect the ph1 front end and ph2 rear end will cause quite a stir on the owners club. I guess its marmite, and I really love it!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
That is stunning. IMO the front needs a Cupra R splitter as they suit the Ph1's so well... but aside from that (maybe a ph1 rear end but TBH it looks ACE!) it's superb.

Enjoy :) Mind the walls ;)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
im the same. i dont understand how someone 2 years younger than me can afford to insure a ph1 172. although ive only been driving 1 year and 1 written off car...fail

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
How the f*ck are you insuring this?! 19 and wouldn't even get quoted on VTS and 1*2's with most companies... Jealous :(

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
im the same. i dont understand how someone 2 years younger than me can afford to insure a ph1 172. although ive only been driving 1 year and 1 written off car...fail
It's not cheap...

cant see all the pictures :( and lovley car.
Sorry, my photobucket has exceeded its limit this month because I posted the pictures on all 4 forums that I'm on...do'h

i like :approve:
How the f*ck are you insuring this?! 19 and wouldn't even get quoted on VTS and 1*2's with most companies... Jealous :(
Seriously? that's bad mate. We'll have to see how insurance ends up in August when my renewal is up...

Anyway - my car got it's first proper clean today. With thanks to my mate who spent about 8 hours working on the car for me!

I have some snowfoam etc pics on my phone which I'll try and upload, but these are the all important after pics.
5743711973_b89f644d1f_b.jpg

RenaultSport Clio by danny2107, on Flickr
5744235752_f741fe5267_b.jpg

5743684917_44fec17020_b.jpg

DSC002RenaultSport Clio12 by danny2107, on Flickr
5743683251_8ac9c9eed1_b.jpg

5743678945_1e6c1f5681_b.jpg

5743645577_bb2cc4550c_b.jpg

I think we can all agree she's a pretty gorgeous car :)

Dan

1.2 y0!
I would sell my mom to get insured on a 1*2 at a reasonable price next year, i really cant see that happening though :(

BG 182
Love the ph1 front and ph2 rear together. If it's on good miles with a sensible history then your onto a winner here! Nice car mate.

Z4
Like it mate!

If it were mine I'd lose the tints and tinted headlights, just seems a bit cheap.

Awesome car for your age!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
so much love this, the headlights are kinda what make it i guess :)

Love it. Always liked the front end on these.
Thanks, the front end is what made me love the car to be honest, the rear is just a bonus :)

Love the ph1 front and ph2 rear together. If it's on good miles with a sensible history then your onto a winner here! Nice car mate.
Not the best miles at 91000 but it's mechanically perfect and has a great book of history!

Just need a spare key for it to be honest then the history side of things would be perfect!
looks stunning!
Gotta say this is one of my favourite ph1's on here. Would be top but I remembered about Andys lol
thanks - which one's Andys?
Was this off ebay?
Nope, it was advertised on Pistonheads.
Looks awesome mate!
Such a nice colour :cool:
Cheers mate! PH1 Ftw you know ;) :cool:
Like it mate!

If it were mine I'd lose the tints and tinted headlights, just seems a bit cheap.

Awesome car for your age!

The headlight inners have been sprayed black so that would be a bit hard to remove :)

I'm 50/50 with the tints though. I've seen some people have nightmares when removing them so I think they'll be staying - I don't mind them - not a mod I would do myself but they definitly help when you've got 4x4's headlights up your arse!

Thanks for all the replies, got my Milltek decat fitted today. Didn't have much of a chance to get a decent video but I will do when I get rid of the induction kit.

It isn't much louder thankfully, but the exhaust note is a bit more aggressive especially when >3500rpm+

Last edited by a moderator:
  DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Haven't updated this in a while, but over the past few weeks the cars had a decent clean up and my mate did a cracking job at getting most swirls out of the paint, there are still a few but it's a lot better now.

I've also had a small problem with the throttle body sticking at low revs, a common Ph1 problem which makes me sound like a right 'tard when parking etc. The idle likes to sit between 1-2k rpm and hunts quite a lot.

Cleaned up the original as it was in a state, but that didn't solve it :(

Before:
b502cb47.jpg

After:
7eb8cf5d.jpg

Just ordered another TB off a member so hopefully that'll solve it.

I also took the rear seats out when bored one day but they went back in so I could take my mate to FCS. They might be coming out again if I can find some carpet to match the floor of the boot.
e74ac072.jpg

Also playing about with induction kits at the moment. I can't spend on a V6 airbox yet due to going to Magaluf (chavaluf perhaps?) in about a month so perhaps after that I will.

-----------------------------------------

My Pre FCS clean pics:
b3929065.jpg

7eb633ad.jpg

5803349891_b05f8650ac_b.jpg

5803348273_9532a4a924_b.jpg

5803211927_5559489390_b.jpg

Headlight restoration:
51312056.jpg

0c04c8bb.jpg

My favourite pic so far of the car, thanks to Feirny:
5801645190_29d041de02_b.jpg

IMG_1747 by feirny, on Flickr

On the way back from FCS though, I managed to push my clock/MFD into the dome, how do I get it back out?
9f0969c3.jpg

Thanks
Dan

Audi A4 avant
Great example of a ph1. Just brought mine, has a ph2 rear bumper and tailgate with cup spoiler. Think it looks much better.
Throttle body!! Cleaned mine 2wice but didnt have any grease for the spindles. Aparantly that is key! Must grease the spindles!
Love that blue, goodjob car look mint!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Great example of a ph1. Just brought mine, has a ph2 rear bumper and tailgate with cup spoiler. Think it looks much better.
Throttle body!! Cleaned mine 2wice but didnt have any grease for the spindles. Aparantly that is key! Must grease the spindles!
Love that blue, goodjob car look mint!

Yeah bud, gotta love the Ph1 front with a Ph2 rear! The perfect Mk2 IMO :)

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
No pics but a big thanks to Kristian(kpmatthews) for suppliying me with a great throttle body! Got it fitted tonight any my idle and revs are much better :)

Just a new cable needed now and it'll be perfect!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Few pics of my car at FCS, copyright robmcdougall.org

watermark2phpdf.jpg

watermark2phpda.jpg

watermarkphpyu7.jpg

watermarkphpadf.jpg

watdfga.jpg

wamitermarkphp.jpg

startingshot.jpg

df.jpg

Thanks to everyone that came and said how nice the car was :)

dan

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
honestly, mint care mate! well done

Thanks bud

decided to get rid of teh engine cover for now since there was only one bolt holding it in! Also a pic of my recent induction kit, which will be for sale soon.

And a random one of my little diddy richbrook gearnob and the marmite starter button, both fitted by the previous owner

b3f2639c.jpg

ccd61028.jpg

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Done some more today, took the dash off to put my clock back in position.

Taking the dash off is one of those really EASY jobs, that is just so f*cking HARD! Well, it's very fiddly. Got it done though.

f545b904.jpg

Dash off

b6a9a177.jpg

Dash on

Also gave the car a good clean with the help of my new pressure washer, if anyone is after a good cheap PW then this cost me £70 at Argos, it's a Nilfisk C110. They are very highly rated on DetailingWorld etc and I got a Patio cleaner with mine worth about £30 itself...

3c440755.jpg

Only the one picture, will take a few more if the weathers good at tomorrows meet (my first!)

Also tried getting the CS.net internal sticker on, what a f**k about that was. The sticker wouldn't seperate properly so on first application it spelt "CLIO P R" and about half the web address was missing too. In the end I gave up. I hope they aren't all like this... might have to get an Admin to fit me one at CSS ;)

Thanks for reading..

Dan