ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 172 refusing to start

Well it was only a matter of time I guess before the french bugger had electrical gremlins...

I think its immobiliser based but I dont want to start changing an endless list of bits in an effort to cure it.. its an X reg clio ffs ..

so.. tried locking/unlocking on the fob but it just cranks over but refuses to fire.. am I right in thinking immobilser is fuel pump cut??

I couldnt hear it prime at first so wiggled the 3 relays in the engine bay and pretty sure its priming now.. CPS??

Vid of what the dash lights are doing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Y6q2vCHR0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Suggestions?? Other than buy a newer clio, throw the good bits onto that and scrap the ph1 flamer??

172 Cup
I've just dropped mine off at the garage for exactly the same issue, started playing up yesterday. On mine the immobiliser light goes out though?

They reckon its a sensor. Will find out on Monday when It's plugged in.

Mec 350 slk manual
Mine used to be ok 1 day then the next spin over and would not start I would leave it for a bit and then I would fire up , put a new tdc sensor and solder the loom on it and now on the button first time

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Hmmmm thanks for the reply..

so thats the pickup ring on the barrel?? Or the actual key??

I hate electrics!!!

Impossible to say without plugging it in. Deffo not crank sensor though as the light is flashing at 4hz... I'm not going over the meaning of the adac again as its done to death so search it out.

Ok....

a little update....

#1 battery had a dead cell - replaced

it still didnt start but the immobiliser light at least went off when cranking it over....

#2 replaced the 3 relays in the enginebay fusebox (i'd already swapped them round to no avail)

Fired up!!!!

Not sure if 1 of those relays controls the coilpack but that wasnt getting 12v...

1.2 172 conversion
Was it the black relays that you changed as im having the same problem with no power to my coil pack i swapped them around but still no change

Yup... changed all 3.. theres a link on here to them via RScomponents...

bit of a setback today...

went to pick the car up tonight and the flashing light of immobilser doom was back...

slid the key apart, blasted it full of circuit cleaner, put it back together, car started....

new key on its way!!!

2001 172,VW Touran
I had a similar problem. On my to blackpool on saturday car drove spot on from brighton until on my last 20miles when the engine spluttered and cut out. Tried to restart but nothing. Greenflag called nothing showed up on his machine. Car was towed to a garage and diagnosed fuel pump relay shagged.

The starting issue ive got is actually 2..

an intermittent key authorisation issue.. and when it does decide to disengage the relays were goosed...

The relays were changed and I thought it was all groovy.. but no! The 4hz red led of doom returned..

on 3 occasions now the remedy has been to open the key, remove the circuit board, blast it with circuit cleaner and airline.. once done the car starts..

unfortunatly its £180 for a new coded key

PH1 172
RS relays for anybody after them

3x RS Stock code: 535-2542 @ £2.80 each +vat
15A SPCO 12v relay

linky

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/

As for the key, check the circuit board connections first before paying Renault for a new key mate.....bit of solder and you might be laughing :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Key isn't authorised to start the vehicle... question is why

Nice one chap, glad its sorted. Seems to be a thing this month for key cards... bloody Laguna II's seem to be the flavor of the month.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah, sometimes you have to just pay what you owe then carry on with life. It sucks but at least you have your car back and didn't spend three weeks looking for somewhere that could do it £20 cheaper.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Cheaper than the last Phase Espace, were £300+ coding costs etc back in 2005 must be mental money now.