ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH for sale pages not what they used to be

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
37   0   0
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Autotrader have gone more expensive. It's the same through my work as we advertise with them. They have cornered the market so can pluck figures. Although when looking for a car now I tend to google ebay first

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah eBay is much more user friendly but a bit cack when being super specific. First place I look tho

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, to further the "cheap running" costs, just an example.

Lower ball joints on these are awful. If yours goes, you'll soon find out Renault will only sell the full hub assembly and not the ball joints seperately. Of course, you can get hold of them alone and get someone to press them in but it's a pain in the hoop and it's not cheap labour either.

The flexis are made out of tracing paper, be prepared to have a few of them welded in over time unless you change the manifold.

The rear springs are off in seconds but the fronts are half a days work (imo)!

I'm not trying to put OP off but don't want you jumping in to something that'll later bite you in the anoos.

At least the gearbox is solid though.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
So - off topic a bit, but the 200 is not a newer version of a 1*2 really?
1*2 is still for me the most £/performance car you can get that's not going to bum you in repair/reliability costs.
The 197/200 is better handling and better looking, but costs a lot more and has 3 major flaws - gearbox, rack and ball joints? Plus is not as frugal as the 1*2.
Bummer - but it is kind of the last of a generation of light, revvy N/A's (unless you fancy a bulky but more reliable FN2) which is the appeal?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Seems so. Another car that appeals to me is the dc5 but strong money, unlikely to lose though. But yeah the 172/182 are hard to beat really. Been away and then back quite a few times now so for me personally it would be a tough choice of next car. Had mine for sale for what two days a few months back and reckon I could have sold it very quickly. But it didn't feel right at the time.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Seems so. Another car that appeals to me is the dc5 but strong money, unlikely to lose though. But yeah the 172/182 are hard to beat really. Been away and then back quite a few times now so for me personally it would be a tough choice of next car. Had mine for sale for what two days a few months back and reckon I could have sold it very quickly. But it didn't feel right at the time.
Yeah I CBA going back to a 1*2 now though, not for everyday anyway. Too old now and French cars don't age well! DC5 is good but the 'JDM bullshit tax' on those is ridiculous, 6/7k for a 51 plate!! Rather get an Ep3 with a diff and mods for about 4/4500.
Just fancy something newer and tighter, but everything's bloody turbo these days - and/or remapped by some helmet and waiting to pop.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Trader Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yeah I CBA going back to a 1*2 now though, not for everyday anyway. Too old now and French cars don't age well! DC5 is good but the 'JDM bullshit tax' on those is ridiculous, 6/7k for a 51 plate!! Rather get an Ep3 with a diff and mods for about 4/4500.
Just fancy something newer and tighter, but everything's bloody turbo these days - and/or remapped by some helmet and waiting to pop.
You need a Mini.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Clio 197
So - off topic a bit, but the 200 is not a newer version of a 1*2 really?
1*2 is still for me the most £/performance car you can get that's not going to bum you in repair/reliability costs.
The 197/200 is better handling and better looking, but costs a lot more and has 3 major flaws - gearbox, rack and ball joints? Plus is not as frugal as the 1*2.
Bummer - but it is kind of the last of a generation of light, revvy N/A's (unless you fancy a bulky but more reliable FN2) which is the appeal?
Flexis on the manifold blowing is an expensive fix too. I agree with @Typhoon . MPG is terrible for the power and size of the car. I get 16 mpg around town and 40 on a run at 50-55 but 35 when sitting at 70. Goes without saying get one with the cambelt done or knock money off. No car is perfect but the 197/200 is a lot of fun and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mpg wise or Renault reliability

Touch wood they aren't that bad to maintain.

£90 for front discs
£40-200 for front pads
£180 for rear discs
£40 for rear pads

£80ish average for tyres

£200ish for a service. Less if you do it yourself.

Gearboxes can s**t themselves. As can hubs.. And exhaust flexis.

///M3 mpg is the real pita.

I averaged 21mpg over 400+ miles going to and from csf, a morning track session and two days of commuting.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Must because the 197 is a fatty? Still love the look but as they said on dragons den when I showed them my ideas, 'I'm out'

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Despite the big drawbacks the 197/200 still seem the best option.
In fact if it weren't for the age the 1*2 would still be top choice. What a car that is to be still the best all rounder since 1999!!

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What kind of mpg do you get by the way in comparison to the 200?

25 to 30

But seeing as it has 4 wheel drive and a 3.2 engine its better than a lighter 2 litre front wheel drive clio lol

Now ive put the milltek on its even better, i like clios but i got bored of them, this i havnt

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
25 to 30

But seeing as it has 4 wheel drive and a 3.2 engine its better than a lighter 2 litre front wheel drive clio lol

Now ive put the milltek on its even better, i like clios but i got bored of them, this i havnt
Stop it!!!! Yeah I'd be happy with 25-30 on one of those. Shall I postpone my wedding to fund this purchase? Ha

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah do it, there is a lovely silver one on pistonheads for under 9k milltek,recent wheel refurb, 4 new michelins etc
Id always wish I'd got the blue tho and my brother had a silver, he'd banter me to death. It'll be next April before I got anything i reckon. Get this wedding boxed off

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
It's more the funding! I'm an accountant and any deviation from my strict wedding budget spreadsheet would give me panic attacks. Ha