ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Performance Fuel Power

182 Trophy
Since I got my car a few months ago I've always filled the tank with V-Power (99RON iirc) convenient cos there's a few Shell garages near me.

Though recently I tanked up with some BP Ultimate (97RON) and the engine seems to be ever so slightly more eager on it despite being a lower octane...It may be in my head though.
Anyone else experienced this?
Anyone done rolling road tests using different fuels on the F4R engine?

BP Ultimate claim an improvement in acceleration roughly the same as moving frm a 2.0l engine to a 2.3l engine. I'm not sure what sells claims are.

BTW my car is 182 with Janspeed Cat back and modified air intake with ITG filter.

The cold harsh truth is, alot of the time its placebo.

That said some fuels do burn better and seem to last longer and some tanks seem to feel peppier, I've never experience any sort of top end power increase thats made me seriously go wow though and why would I?

Turbo cars however respond differently, variation can be quite large depending on the fuel.

182 Trophy
There's also the crazy Ultimate 102 at a whopping £2.40/litre!! Only available from about 4 shell garages I think.

WRC technologies tested it against the standard Ultimate using a 911 GT3 on a RR.

Results:
BP Ultimate - car produced 382bhp
BP 102 - car produed 407 bhp
BP 102 (with engine remap to suit fuel) - car produced 430bhp

Big performance gains there then, but so there should be at that price.

Focus ST
BP Ultimate claim an improvement in acceleration roughly the same as moving frm a 2.0l engine to a 2.3l engine. I'm not sure what sells claims are.

Um, where have you read that? Do you have a link to this claim?

I very much doubt BP would make such an un-scientific claim.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Those figures were from evo iirc.
Some good power gains for a fuel and a re-map

ian

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2

Um, where have you read that? Do you have a link to this claim?

I very much doubt BP would make such an un-scientific claim.

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=4005565&contentId=7009016

Their claims are all over the shop with different cars in each test to give best results including "6% more power", "5% increased acceleration" and the classic "roughly equivalent to upgrading from a 2.0 to 2.3 litre engine".

I've tried it a few times and it does seem to give slightly smoother initial pull but Optimax/V Power feels better further up the revs. Could be placebo though, fuel goes off after standing in tanks, cars have good days and iffy days etc...

182 Trophy
cars have good days and iffy days etc...

Especially if it's got a Renault engine. Would agree with you though, that Ultimate maybe offers better torque at lower revs. So marginal though you can't be sure without doing proper tests, either way IMO both Ultimate and V power are noticeably better than 95RON

Civic Vtec y0
When I bought my car the pervious owner only ever used cheap fuel, when I got i started using Tesco Super Unleaded and being honest I havnt noticed a blind bit of difference, however EVO said it was the best Super Unleaded on the market for power increase :S