ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

performance + economy = clio sport

Red Clio 197 F1

Its a well written fact that we think the Clio Sport in all variants is a great little car with serious suprise factor when a 330i etc cant shake you :cool:

However from time to time I like to drive conservatively and I am even more surprised by the range and economy (y)

In the last couple of weeks with all the fuel issues and me being on the road so much i have made the effort to drive calmly and efficiently. I reset the trip computer and I have now done 600+ miles and 47MPG!!!!!!

Get in there, surely that betters the likes of the GTI, CTRs of this world.

Whats the general response on your Clio Sport MPG?

172, Tiguan

Yep, its amazing. Managed 51.7 mpg on my B road commute home on Monday. Even when you press on its never worse than 30 odd.

Quote: Originally posted by Spammy on 16 September 2005
My 1.2 16v gets 33mpg at best :cry:

U must be ragging the tits off it :D

Red Clio 197 F1

Its the Variable Valves that have to be the trick but the CTR has that but some of my mates dont get any year near 35MPG ;)

I know we dont buy our sports for economy but it is a massive bonus :D

Ive never got anything better than 32mpg if I drive it normally. Driving like a gay fairy I saw 42 once, I think but, that wasnt an evarge over a weeks worth of normal driving. Mine usually reads something like 31.9.

Reset it and drive like a fag, youll see into 40s. Likewise, reset it and drive it like you stole it and youll see 27s or less. Drive it like a fag on the way to work, and cane the fawk out of it on the way home from work, and youll average 32.

Ive seen posts on here from people saying they average 48(blah blah)mpg all the time. Frankly theyre either lying or shouldnt be driving a Renault Sport.

It is still superb economy for the performance you get though :D

Red Clio 197 F1

LOL, nice wording Roy!

The usual is 35mpg and thats sedate going to work, thrash the nuts off going home!

Ziel Nurburgring

Average 33mpg. Had it average 11 on a track day and the other week when low on pocket money it returned 46mpg with max revs of 3500.

BMW E46 330i Touring

Which is still bloody good for what you get. My Si wont get anywhere near that even on a motorway stretch...

Yeah, thats why Im getting a Clio... for the economy. ;)

SLK 350

While the economy is great considering the power and instant response, the trip computer isnt 100% accurate. Read the manual, if you reset the computer for a 5-10 mile journey home from work, the reading you are getting is frankly pointless!

If however youve covered a few hundred miles then clearly this average works to be more accurate and more indicative of true economy. Also note that your trip will continue to summise your economy when stopped/idle/crawling in traffic which further adds to the inaccuracy as lets face it during rush hours, most of us experience some sort of go-slow or traffic lights.

As a rule id say you can get 40mpg if you keep it below 3k in all gears, 35mpg on motorway at 80mph and 28mpg if your having some fun :)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
is this 600+ miles from the initial post from the computers estimate? i find it varies a great deal...

last week i averaged 38mpg (drove like a gimp all week) my estimate gave me 400miles to the tank.

the trip computer siad i did 280 miles before i filled up again...

Megane RS 275 Trophy
I had 30mpg once most of the time it's between 25 - 29mpg that in a Mk2 172.
My mate always gets better results in his Mk1????

1998 BMW e46 323i
When I bought the car (fullfat MkII) it read 32mpg, and that week it increased to 37mpg. Having re-set it and started to drive like my old self again ( ambulance driver + blue lights ) I've been getting 35-36mpg from 3 weeks of combination driving over approx 1200 miles. That's with climate on the whole time, and it was really working before the summer disappeared too.

Tis good I guess when I used to get 35mpg from my 1.25 Fester Zetec, 31 from my 320i and the Clio is a whole lot faster!!!

They maybe economical but its still a petrol. To put it in prespective my dci has been to Germany and back and it cost me ~£80 in fuel. When I took my Williams it costs £330 in fuel.

I get about 60mpg on a long high speed run in the dci the Williams would get me about 35. Just on one track day that is a reasonable saving as the dci does 29mpg the Williams about 11mpg.

The only time a RS CLio will be truely economical is when they stick a dci in there. However it won't be happening any time soon which is a shame.

Re: performance + economy = clio sport

edde said:
They maybe economical but its still a petrol. To put it in prespective my dci has been to Germany and back and it cost me ~£80 in fuel. When I took my Williams it costs £330 in fuel.

I get about 60mpg on a long high speed run in the dci the Williams would get me about 35. Just on one track day that is a reasonable saving as the dci does 29mpg the Williams about 11mpg.

The only time a RS CLio will be truely economical is when they stick a dci in there. However it won't be happening any time soon which is a shame.

Let's hope that Reggie develop something like VW's V10 - It'd be a shoe horn but a whooooooooooooppppp ass bit'a kit. Derv engines are nearly overtaking petrol performance - look at Ford's ST220 and the ST220 desiel - not a great deal in it anymore. The misses loved her mum's DCI, mega miles to the gallon.