ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

performance differences between 16's and 17's

Jap Shed
Are there any? the car came with 205 40 17's on and it does not handle as well as i had hoped, its still on std suspention too so i think the back has been lifted making it less stable.

I am sure i am losing a bit of acceleration at low speed too,

And is it just me or are 16 tyres more expensive than 17 inch tyres!!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i cant tell any acceleration difference between my 15s and my 16s because the rolling radius is still about the same due to lower profile tyres on the 16s.

but i do notice a difference in the handling, its much more chuckable with the 15s and handles much better but doesnt have as much grip as it does with the 16s due to the wider tyres

Meg on pistonheads £6995
the circumference difference is marginal - should have about 3% higher gearing on 17's so............

fractionally slower acceleration BUT more relaxed cruising

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
i put 17's on my car at the weekend

had the standard 15's on before them

lowered the car 40 at the front and rear

i feel it handles alot better but is a little slower

looks the part though :approve:

193 mk2
as rob (cliobuyer) says its the weight thats the main issue. ive got a 172mk2 & i put on some 17" oz superT's & the handling felt sh*t because the weighed too much, sold those & bought some oz superleggera's which are one of the lightest 17"s you can buy, lighter than the standard 16"s & the handling is great. problem solved!!!

This is true... Most handling issues are down to weight re wheels... However most people tend to slam theirs cars and put bigger wheels on, from past experience suspension is to hard and ends up bouncing on the b roads..

Tangoed Works
VFM the superleggeras are amazingly light.

I had a set of 15" on my old saxo and they weigh in at 4.9 kg each without tyres. Looking at all the comparables including team dynamics pro race, they were like 6 kilos. I remember hearing that reducing 5kg of weight is equivalent to a 1bhp increase not to mention the improved throttle response.

Reducing the unsprung weight is the best thing you can do. Lighter wheels, brake rotors, suspension components will improve handling no end.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Inflate your tyres with helium too :rasp:

I think the Rota Slipstreams are lighter than that in a 15.

To go lighter than that, Buddyclubs are popular as they have many fitments, you'll pay for it though.

Jap Shed
shugyboi said:
i put 17's on my car at the weekend

had the standard 15's on before them

lowered the car 40 at the front and rear

i feel it handles alot better but is a little slower

looks the part though :approve:

Handles better with 17's?
possibly its my tyres that came on the wheels that are screwing up the handling?
ECSTA?? are they crap or what??

BMW M4; S1000 RR
cliobritt said:
Handles better with 17's?
possibly its my tyres that came on the wheels that are screwing up the handling?
ECSTA?? are they crap or what??

What.. I mean crap.

It depends what you want really, with light weight 17s, it should handle like it's on rails as the sidewalls will be like rubber bands, giving no side stress in corners.

But most people will buy regular 17s which can be just as heavy, if not heavier than stock wheels.