ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

People who've got OMP cages

Hi

I've just received one of these AB/105P/220H image here http://www.ybracing.co.uk/page1.php?sitepage=4&area4=&subarea=248&part=20961.

But it's not what I was expecting.

Firstly it has a cross member in the main hoop.
Looking at project threads of people fitting these I expected it to be a dash dodger - but it is not!
The back stays bolt to the boot floor not the arches as they do in people's project threads.

View attachment 59785

Fortunately non of this is a problem. But I am concerned I don't have the correct cage, although it does seem like it will fit with some minor adjustments...

I notice in the above link it refers to a new version so maybe they have changed recently.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks
Mark

ph1-172
i've got the same cage. but haven't got any photos of fitting it. and the cars getting painted atm.

is the cross fully welded in, in yours? mine was just tacked which i thought was weird.

the rear arches/ wheel wells are really thin and seem to be made of cheese so probable for the best that they done mount there.
any issues, pm me and i'll try and let you know what we did with my one

That looks like the first cage I ever bought from OMP, didn't fit well at all and had massive problems getting my money back!

What I found with the B pillar cross bar is my seat wouldn't fit back in the car as it would foul on the cage. Try and trial fit it with your seat

Don't know how yours looked like when you ordered it on the website but mine was different to what I received. I wanted one which the rear part of the cage went onto the arches not the floor and this is what I received.

Thanks guys. Sounds like yours were the same then.

My cross bar is only tack welded and the picture on the web did not match what I got.

I did think the cross bar might fowl the seat as well, but I am fairly short so think it will be OK for me.

ph1-172
I'm 6"2 and my seat seems to fit in the right place.

it was a bit of a nightmare to fit. you just need to to man the f**k up as my girlfriend said and get on with it lol.

it would be easier having a dash dodger but they look gash. now that mines fitted i think it looks ok. for a bolt in cage.
and it was relatively cheap :approve:

172, Tiguan
I'm looking into buying another cage at the moment and have been told that the FIA have changed the rules on dash-dodgers. Not sure what that rule is, but maybe they've been banned. The link you've supplied does say 'new'.

I think the law was something to do with the fact that some dash dodgers had a kink in them, meaning they were pretty much useless as they would just crumple.

Burpspeed have an OMP cage, they are alright with the rules I think (dashdodger)

TrackCar & F30 330d
This is the cage i bough for my car

http://www.ybracing.co.uk/page1.php?sitepage=4&area4=&subarea=324&part=393

But it didnt actually look like this. I found the pictures are different to what you actually get. The only reason i actually know what my cage would looked like was because Laxy and another member had the same cage allready.

I found mine fitted pretty well, only goes on one way and it was very tight.

I put loads of picture in my project thread which may help you went fitting the cage.

Just got a response from OMP and they say it is correct.

When I trial fitted it yesterday it was about 1 inch too wide to go in behind the seats, the bolt holes wouldn't clear the chassis legs.

OMP say to fit it I need to remove the cross, fit the main hoop into the car and then re-fit the cross and weld it properly. This is what they expect hence why it is only tacked in!

53 Clio's & counting
Does the hoop go in, then front pieces welded once it's in?

Iv only ever fitted mini cages so general question really :)

The front and rear are bolted together with a sleeve in this case. you can see them in my pic.

You weld in the floor plates for it to bolt to.

Once it is all in you weld in the door bars and cross.

WRT fitting procedure I guess I'll get it in the car. Mark up the plates. Tack the rear ones in and re-fit the cage to make sure they're correct and then weld them in. Next re-fit the front, check plates are still in correct place, tack plates, check cage still fits and then weld in front plates.

Then cross and door bars welded. I'll also have to check the seats still fit at various points...

Just got a response from OMP and they say it is correct.

When I trial fitted it yesterday it was about 1 inch too wide to go in behind the seats, the bolt holes wouldn't clear the chassis legs.

OMP say to fit it I need to remove the cross, fit the main hoop into the car and then re-fit the cross and weld it properly. This is what they expect hence why it is only tacked in!

That first bit is exactly what they said to me when it came to enquiring about it not being right/fitting.

I'll leave it at that, if you can modify and fit it for cheap do it that way. If your paying someone good money just get a custom built cage done to what you want. It'll fit better and be just how you want it.

ph1-172

they said to me its only tacked incase you need to adjust anything. we left mine in t all seemed to work fine.

my cage was also about an inch too wide, so i notched the inner sill area, you only need enough room for the outter bolts to sit a bit lower.then when the box gets welded in it sorts out any weakening issues if there were any.

i was tempted to get the same one as chrispy but didn't fancy all that welding

Qashcow
my omp 6 point bolt in cage came as expected from the photos, although its nothing like that. it bolted through the rear wheel arches and welded to the floor middle and front.

i added extra bars on mine for the cross member and harness bar though.

when you fit it in, dont weld it where it 'sits' as it then has no static torsion. mine was fitted out of line on purpose, if i removed the front leg bolts, the two front feet will move towards the driver about 2-3 inches. had to use ratchet straps to hold it in place.

this was how mark fish has been seen to fit cages