ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pearl Black Ph1 172

BG DCI
Hi ClioSport,

Been a member on here now for quite a while and have managed 2 Renaultsports before this one.

A 172 Cup

Sportlines, 2118's, Ktec top mounts, Ktec stealth, RS tuner map. Believe it's on here. VA52 PYG. Was a very healthy engine and lovely car.

A 57 plate R26

Standard bar a DV. Will 100% own another at some point, was a great car.

u2u3u9eq.jpg

(Sorry for the 'arty' picture)

And then the 3rd RS

u9a3ehy6.jpg

gyhuvazu.jpg

a9eregen.jpg

iPhone pictures at the moment but will dig out the DSLR after it's had a clean.

Current spec is:

Cooksport springs
Cup shocks
Ktec top mounts
25mm front spacers
15mm rear spacers

Ph2 rear lights

Retrimmed steering wheel by overfinch

It's had a lot of work done recently including new battery, NGK spark plugs, brand new water and air con radiators, new coil and plug leads, the belts were done at Ktec only 12k ago so nothing to worry about there.

Only known problems are:

Small scrape on wing mirror
Tiny rust patch on rear arch
Gearbox slight oil leak from selector shaft and a little whiney.

I'll look to sort these issues first, I may just wait and see what develops with the box as it's not an expensive one to replace.

Plans afterwards are something like this:

- 2.0 16v badges and rear sport badge back on
- Stealth exhaust system
- Pressed plates
- Possibly some turinis in graphite as the standard wheels are MINT so will be keeping them like that.
- Paint correction to get rid of slight scratches and swirls.
- Replace engine mounts and gearbox one with Ktec components.

Once I know my financial situation (just had my first baby and am in the process of buying a house) I would love to keep the car a while and head down the turbo route, match up a 225 engine with a rebuilt 172 box? After my R26 I would like to have abit more power but in the great looking ph1.

I'll be looking into this all further when I know I have the money. I will only get itchy feet and try and find a way of doing it now.

I will keep updates coming, this one should of been a week ago so I will add what's been going on since after.

Thoughts and comments always welcome and any suggestions.

Thanks a lot

Liam.

BG DCI
So my first update will be today:

Had the car almost a week and it's been great back in an older throttle cabled car. Remind me of my old CRX. Very raw to drive.

Think the cable may need adjusting a little as the response isn't as good as I would like and it idles at about 500rpm so will investigate that very soon.

Have averaged with mixed driving 37mpg according to the computer which is amazing considering the good power on tap aswell.

Broke my interior door handle just trying to open it last week (don't know my own strength) so will need to fix that.

Am currently sat at the Gregs by Rentech in Portsmouth, which I'm sure a fair few of you will know, having the car checked over by Mike.

Was a couple of nice machines here, namely this:

vytygy8a.jpg

Will see what Mike has to say about the car and any issues he finds or thinks needs sorting.

Steering feels abit vague also so am guessing some bushes upfront may need changing. Any ideas what the usual suspects are?

Thanks a lot

Liam.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I see this on the bay, got a nice one there. Was looking at it myself but didnt want another black car, however it does look good.

Hopefully its nothing too serious.

BG DCI
So Mike said (some quotes):

The car is in "excellent condition" and has had "no expense spared" and was a "bargain" for what I paid. Lovely to hear from someone so highly respected in the Renault world.

He said the gearbox is nothing to worry about. The last owner was obviously very pedantic as Mike said the leak was very minor, no drips or pools, just a little covering around the bottom of the box, a lot of the black on the box he said will be over 10 years of build up.

He also said there was no real whine either so nothing to worry about at all with the box. Brilliant.

He said the car has had loads of new bits, including brand new rear hubs which I didn't know about. All levels were fine and he even got the fog lights working in 30 seconds after them not coming on.

His only recommendation with the car was a new exhaust at some point as there was a little bit of corrosion so when the dCi sells that will definitely be done.

All in all a well worth 20 minute trip down the motorway, not only for peace of mind but to make sure nothing else was needing doing.

Will definitely be using Rentech again. Mike was friendly and obviously new his stuff. Would recommend them to anyone who is able to get there.

u4ugajaz.jpg

Liam.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Looks great, big soft spot for a black ph1.

It would look even better on my drive next to my sliver car. :D

BG DCI
So I've had the car nearly 2 weeks and it's been great so far!! Just needs a clean but with this current bit of bad weather it will have to wait!

Got through some new 2.0 16v badges and an interior door handle, as mine snapped, courtesy of daveski which was brilliant.

Just a question about the silver writing on them. Anyone got any ideas how to refurb them? They are just abit worn down ect.

This is them:

e4u9yve5.jpg

Is it fairly easy taking the old badges out aswell?

Will have a look at the door handle later today! A nice easy swap!

Then on the list is a stealth exhaust system still.

Liam.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Get some ear bud swabs and try polishing them with some fine paste. Not an aggressive polish.

Only way i think you can try ,that's if the chrome hasn't flaked off

BG DCI
Get some ear bud swabs and try polishing them with some fine paste. Not an aggressive polish.

Only way i think you can try ,that's if the chrome hasn't flaked off

Some of it has worn off back down to the dark plastic! Hmm, they will have to do for now to be honest! There certainly not terrible.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Don't think that will work dude, its worn off and I can see blue underneath.

BG DCI
Small update:

Fitted my 2.0 16v badges that came through. The silver was wearing slightly so I gave them a quick lacquer over just to help protect them abit more.

aqe7u8y4.jpg

Car looks better already with the originals back on!

Also fitted my replacement interior door handle and then noticed the passenger one had also cracked! Damn Renault design... That will be coming soon!

Going to have a play with the front diamond. In black or maybe a graphite, I will have the original always so can just swap an change as I like.

After reading Phase1sr's project thread, I got some more motivation to get the car as mint as money and my technical knowledge would allow, so have ordered some original bits from Renault to go on shortly.

Also bought a Ktec stealth system and decat to go on next week sometime! Am looking forward to that!

Next on the to do list is a good clean, get some body work sorted (small scrape on wing mirror and stone chip rust spot on arch) and then some new engine and doggone mounts.

I will update as soon as there's something new again.

Liam.

BG DCI
So made some more progress this weekend and today.

Picked up a Ktec stealth system and decat and got some bits through from various people.

Fitted a new passenger door handle as the old one was cracked. Little annoying as the colour match is so hard on the interior.

Got a front diamond also to spray in gloss black and see if I like it.

And then (credit to Phase1sr) I changed my front stickers under the bonnet and gave it a little clean up:

Before:
uza4yvam.jpg

After:
uhyse6eh.jpg

Little touches but it does make a nice difference.

Helped Adam.r clear his scuttle panel out in the dark this evening and then...

My handbrake cable snapped as I went to move the clio back on the drive. VERY frustrating.

Will be looking into ordering the part cheaper somewhere, as on my ph2 DCI it was £40, and then take it to get fitted and probably now the exhaust at the same time. Just to make life easy.

Unless there's any members locally that have some knowledge and could help with both one Sunday for some £££'s and beers!?

Will keep you posted with what happens a next!

Thanks as always

Liam.

275 Trophy
That looks ace fella - I miss mine so much. In many ways it was a much better car than the R26 I have now.

I'd be interested to hear your impressions having gone the other way.

BG DCI
That looks ace fella - I miss mine so much. In many ways it was a much better car than the R26 I have now.

I'd be interested to hear your impressions having gone the other way.

Hmm well I went from a 172 cup to an R26 and now back to a Ph1 clio.

The R26 was effortless in terms of power and I personally prefer the delivery with the turbo. Handling I found to be similar. You could still chuck the megane around. Horses for courses really.

Only reason for the clio is its obviously less expensive to buy and maintain. Otherwise I would of got another Megane!

Would love to own another one day

275 Trophy
I agree, the power is effortless, but I don't like the delivery. Much preferred the way the power in the Clio just kept building seemingly without end. Megane comes in a massive wallop and then all too soon it's gone.

My Clio was lightly modded (just brakes and springs), versus OEM R26, but to me the Clio would have the legs on the Megane on anything other than open A roads or Motorways. The brakes literally were twice as good, and the smaller car had less understeer most of the time. Sure the Megane has the trick diff but then it very much needs it. Enter a corner a tad too fast and it will understeer more the the 172 ever did. The steering was better, the gearbox felt better, the fuel economy was better, the consumables were much cheaper, the reliability was heaps better, the whole car felt better engineered tbh.

The seats are a lot better in the Megane, and the rest of the interior is a little better and that's honestly it as far as I'm concerned. The extra running costs in no way make up for the very few benefits you get IMHO.