ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PCWorld and Techguys

ITB BG 182
I know some one on this forum works for one of the above but can not remember his/her name.
So who on this forum works for one of them as i have to ask the following questions.

I know PCWorld insurance does not cover laptop batteries, But why is it they have insisted that they can not get me a new one or possibly order me a new one then charge me for it?

Now i have this £800 laptop that has to be plugged into the mains at all times as it will not run from a battery, i have to take the battery out to use it as otherwise it will not work with the battery in.

Had i wanted a computer that i can use as a desktop pc i would have got one.

SO what does this flipping insurance cover my laptop for as now its practically none operational for me with my job as i dont have a constent connection to the main supply.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'd imagine the insurance is for items that might break that shouldn't, not wear and tear parts (like the battery).

ITB BG 182
When i try a use a none HP battery it gives a error message telling me to check and replace the battery. I can not get a like for like replacement battery.
I spoke to the HP Rep in PCworld and he said himself that this model was made for sale only in PCWorld stores and therfore they will be the ones with replacements.
Ask a PCW or TG's and i get "we dont do batteries" line over and over.

172 Cup
Thinking outside the box here but have you called HP themselves and asked about purchasing a replacement battery?!?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
When i try a use a none HP battery it gives a error message telling me to check and replace the battery. I can not get a like for like replacement battery.
I spoke to the HP Rep in PCworld and he said himself that this model was made for sale only in PCWorld stores and therfore they will be the ones with replacements.
Ask a PCW or TG's and i get "we dont do batteries" line over and over.

What model laptop? I'll make this easy for you and find you the part on the internets

f**k knows why I'm feeling so generous today

ITB BG 182
Ok the issues are as follows.

Why do they not allow customers to buy batteries for the laptops outside of the insurance?
Why do they not stock batteries for laptop that are made for PCW?
Why can i not claim on the insurance for this as now my computer is near none operational?
Why is it i can not get a HP battery for my laptop outside of the PCW balls?

If i accidently dropped the pc and it was rendered un-usable why can i then claim and not now when it is still un-useable?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
1) They sell lots of laptops, they don't sell any laptop batteries
2) The laptop won't be made for PCW if its hp branded
3) It's a wear and tear part
4) You can

ITB BG 182
Battery is wear and tear

Why the f**k did you buy something from PC World anyway?

My company does alot of work for HP and we was offered a discount of 15% on a laptop at the time had it been from HP and could only get it from certain stores, my only local store (within 50miles) was pcw stores.

Battery part number is 509422001. Ive seen them from america but at £85 then another £45 for delivery that is one expensive battery.

ITB BG 182
1) They sell lots of laptops, they don't sell any laptop batteries
2) The laptop won't be made for PCW if its hp branded
3) It's a wear and tear part
4) You can

I have spent a few hours on the phone to HP UK and they have said they dont do this battery anymore, i was recommended to chilternspares who work along side HP and even they didnt have what i want.
I was also told by the HP rep in PCW the following "this model was made specially for sale in PC World stores, PCW will hold all the spares for this laptop if it has not been discontinued." ie brick wall.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
£85 is a typical price for a ge-u-wine laptop battery. You're getting stung for the shipping there, though.

Is the battery on here....?

http://www.psaparts.co.uk/laptop-notebook/hp-battery-adapter-charger.html

Use to use PSA over a decade ago and they were alright back then.

edit - if its a HP battery, it should have a dash before those last 3 digits - like 509422-001 (if you're having trouble finding it). Also, HP do part numbers for replacement items and also spare part items. They usually provide both numbers on the item itself.

D.

ITB BG 182
I think i will ask my mates kid to see if she can fix it, shes only 6 bless her but a wizz with milk or cherry pop.

1.5dci
I think i will ask my mates kid to see if she can fix it, shes only 6 bless her but a wizz with milk or cherry pop.

not cherry pop, but milk would be the best bet! any milk type product leave a film thats impossible to get off from the keyboard film bit that connects the keys, i know as due to yogurt I now don't have a ctrl key on my (server) netbook! Had to learn Vim to get around the key

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I sent my laptop off to the Techguys to get the touch pad and mouse buttons fixed and also for them to look at the power issue ( Battery only lasts 30mins if not plugged into mains) came back with a new mothboard and a not saying they could find a power issue.. so im gonna have to fork out for a new battery too :(

Oil Burner
If this site has it for sale - then any DSGi store can order it in on your behalf or you can order it yourself in store or online. (if they say otherwise, talk to a duty manager)

http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin...1&path=79917,252769:79934&shop=hewlettpackard

If you want to know what the insurance covers, you should have a print out with an overview on it with your receipt. It depends when you purchased the laptop and what 'whatever happens' product you purchased as to what is covered and expected turn around times. Believe it or not they pay out very fairly and usually fairly quickly. But its a rip off unless you break laptops every year or two.

To the guy above, i would send it off again, give a letter with a good description of the fault (helps no end), also take pics of the condition of the laptop. If they still dont fix it and its been away for more than 28 days (strictly in one repair, but if you moan enough they will often cave) then they used to have to give you a replacement, also if the laptop is damaged during repair the store can claim it as damaged in transit (if they did the paperwork correctly in the first place) and you should do well out of this ;)

Just a thought.

Last edited:
  ITB BG 182
DUNGANICK - Aint you the one that helped me last time when i had a problem with a charger or some thing about 3 months back? You work for them dont you? or have you quit?

John

Last edited:
  Mazda 3 MPS
Partmaster.co.uk is a sister company for pc world and currys that stocks power supplies, batteries, remote controls etc. They should offer next day delivery aswell. This is not something we can order in store as we physically have no way of doing it.

That's why they created Partmaster.

(If you haven't guessed, I work there)

John, how old is the laptop?

HP have a well known issue with some of their laptop batteries manufactured over a certain time. They have issued a recall on all batteries as they overheat and are known to combust. Basically this means you could get a new one.

HP do not manufacture any laptops specifically for PC World. The rep was trying to get rid of you.

Goliath I
I hate drinking a cup of tea by my laptop, always ends up in an unfortunate spillage... thank god its covered by the insurance

Oil Burner
Cripple, This wasnt the case 6 months ago. You were (and may still be) targeted on sales through partmaster, there was actually a competition to make the most partmaster sales about this time last year. There is a link on your eclipse link page, you have 2 options, store log in (which gets you the sale credited to your store so you can meet targets) or your allowed to access the consumer version where you can simply allow the customer to order as they would from home using your till.

John182rs, i havent worked there for about 6 months (best 6 months of my life?), and i don't think it was me that helped you out, but if there is anything i can help with - let me know.

ITB BG 182
The laptop is a HP Pavilion DV7 2030e with a 17.3 widescreen. Partsmaster has batteries but they are all 10.4v not 14.4v

Fubar - the battery part number is 509422-001.

John, I've just emptied out my box of spares. I've got 9 HP batteries, but none of them have that part number.

Cripple, This wasnt the case 6 months ago. You were (and may still be) targeted on sales through partmaster, there was actually a competition to make the most partmaster sales about this time last year. There is a link on your eclipse link page, you have 2 options, store log in (which gets you the sale credited to your store so you can meet targets) or your allowed to access the consumer version where you can simply allow the customer to order as they would from home using your till.

In the 8 years I've been working for DSGi, colleagues have never been targeted to sell Partmaster stock, and there has certainly never been a link to it from Eclipse. Your competition must have been at store level and something the GM dreamt up over night.

Oil Burner
I can still tell you my stores log in details for the in store sales (on partmaster), so i know this for certain, we used to use the thing lots to replace stolen in store remotes when customers purchased display stock.

And the competition came about around 1yr (perhaps a little longer) ago, during the time when they were first introducing the 'the journey' and all that crap. When Hero targets lifted like 15%, the target didnt appear on reporting it appeared on the other system where you could view things like compliance, footfall/hr/yr etc.. (i cant remember the name for this, i've managed to erase most things to do with DSG from my memory)

Go to the Links page where you have access to 'competitor websites' and there is a separate section with 'partmaster' and then the IS and Customer options. I worked for Currys for my sins, so i know we had a slightly different home page to PC world (not sure what part of dsgi you work with). But i would be amazed if you didnt have access to it as well.

There's a link on the intranet site, sure. Not Eclipse.

John, did you try the recall link I posted above?

ph2 172
The Tech Guys Suck!

I sent my laptop off for repair 5 and half weeks ago to have the secondary hard drive replaced, it came back with 2 new hard drives, a new motherboard and a new CPU. Great I thought untill I relaised the CPU had been swapped for a Core 2 Duo T5500, not the T7200 it was shipped with!!!!

After sending it off again it came back with a broken keyboard, smashed case and scatches all over!

Comming up to the 6 week mark on tuesday......

Oil Burner
I am surprised....

Anyway, the guy can order it online if he wants, but will be cheaper to go else where.

Comming up to the 6 week mark on tuesday......

Talk to the store manager, its unacceptable. It depends what type of extended 'warranty' product you purchased if any as to if they need to replace the laptop after a certain time period. But if your not happy, best moan to the store not us.

Last edited:
  ITB BG 182
There's a link on the intranet site, sure. Not Eclipse.

John, did you try the recall link I posted above?

Yepp i did, i can only get 10.4 or 12.4V battery, the one listed on mine that i have now is a 14.4V.
Also the one at that website is £116.

Ive phoned partsmaster and they have said they dont stock this battery.