ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PCI graphics card

M

M7CUO_V6

Im a right in saying this is a standard PCI slot rather than a PCI-Express..
(sorry about shite quality, phone camera)

Image186Small.jpg

Im after a decent graphics card, so i can play rainbow 6 lockdown, pci cards seem to be quite rare, where can i get one? thanks:)

Fiat Panda 100hp
Yer thats a PCI, you cant get any good cards on PCI iirc. Dells are a biatch to upgrade

172 Cup
Moral of the story.. Don't buy a budget Dell then realise you actually want to play games on it.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
I just got some new Ram for my acer laptop its upto 704mb now runs the games ok, well seems to but my graph card is bit s**t so the graphics arnt as good as the box lol. Can you get new cards for laptops

Better than yours. C*nt.
Is that not a type of PCI-E slot to the left of the Dell sticker?

That's an AMR slot.

As for upgrading, no hope. Also, don't get a new motherboard for it - it'll go bang. Dell use proprietary power connectors and you'll cook it - I'm afraid you've just learnt the hard way that you buy cheap, you buy twice.

PCI Cards stop around the Radeon 9000 series (and the low spec ones at that!) and the GeForce 5000 series, again low spec only. I struggle to believe though that the machine doesn't have an AGP slot - I've got a SFF Dell GX260 which does!

172 Cup

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

LMFAO! What the hell is the point in that????

About as much use as a plug-in 6.0litre V12 engine for a 182 - towed in a trailer behind. Laptops are supposed to be mobile - not weighed down with crap like that. And then you'll need the external monitor (I presume?) to connect it to?

A good find Griff - this month's Glass Hammer Award, for sure.....

D.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
^^^ I personally don't like laptops but people use them for their mobility, fair enough.

That said, most people will use them in the home a lot and the ability to plug in a gfx card and play games at home is a good thing.

If you're using it for it's mobility ie out and about at work, you'll hardly be playing games. Then, you come home and play a game.

Laptops suffer heat problems and the ability to have a high powered external gfx card is better than trying to stuff one inside and cook everything.

Besides, you may think it's pointless but I'm sure the manafacturers feel there's a market for it. A lot of reviews/comments on that site seem to give it positive feedback.

Back on topic, I think many people who don't know much about pcs in my experience get attracted to Dells website from such things like cheap prices and words like DVDR, TFT, 1gb RAM, 64 Bit etc but without realising they aren't the easiest things to upgrade. That said, for many people they do a perfecly good job.

Last edited: