ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC] Rising Storm

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Took a punt on this today - mainly for being a bit of WW2 geek - especially on the Pacific Theatre.

http://www.risingstormgame.com/

Looks to be fairly intense and quite non-COD like. I'm hoping its not quite as unforgiving as Red Orchestra 2 - as that game cut you zero slack at all. Great if you want that realism - but at times, I like my 25% COD-influence in FPS games.

Anyways, downloading it now (as is half the world by the poor d/l rate) - so I'll see what it's like later.

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Had a quick two rounds and so far, I'm more impressed with it than RO2. Pretty much as I'd hoped too, there's a more 'relaxed' game mode, making CTF and the like much more enjoyable.

It conveys the idea of 'keeping your head down' very well and makes you realise on a trivial scale - just how hellish those conditions were in WW2. Especially the night-time map(s) which I'm never a fan of. Movement and shooting seems well balanced - and sniping takes a fair bit of practice. The distance to target has to be calculated in order to achieve results and already, there are some very good snipers out there. One guy spotted me on the upper floor of a building, in an opening between sandbags and a wall. Only the whizz-crack of a round hitting the wall slightly above me made me move position quick - lol.

Issues so far? Maybe the machine gunner class. To have any hope of hitting anything beyond 20ft away, you have to deploy it on its bipod. When in situ, its a lethal device to mow down the enemy, but you're such an obvious target, that you're dead in no time. Lay prone in some cover however and you can be pretty effective.

Flamethrowers are superb and probably the n00b weapon (mine) of choice. Much like the auto-shottys in other FPS games, accuracy really isn't a concern close up and nothing beats them in flushing out bunkers and buildings. What I do like is the fact that if you use too much flame in an enclosed area, there's a very good chance that you'll set yourself ablaze. You do have to think about what you're doing in using it.

Lastly, there's a squad commander and commander option available too. I haven't tried either role yet, but if it's anything like Battlefield 2142 (from where I suspect they have got the idea of this addition from) - then I will be majorly, impressed. Such roles defined BF2142 over the regular FPS games and have been sorely missed imo.

Regardless, I'm glad I bought it so far. At £14.99 for the Deluxe Edition (if you already own RO2) - it's well worth it.

2013-05-30_00008_zpsde9e50f8.jpg

2013-05-30_00001_zps3309b449.jpg

2013-05-30_00006_zps92c3ea5a.jpg

2013-05-30_00004_zps375108ac.jpg

​D.

Evo 5 RS
Nice find, I never played RO2, nor World at War MP. DOD Source was always pretty good though, although I was terrible at it. Might have to give this a go if I ever get time. :( I miss gamez

Changes to often
my steam started downloading this, i havent even bought it, think its because i own red orchestra 2 GOTY, gunna give it a try one its finished, 7gig take days on my connection lol

Nissan 350z
I was playing the 7GB "Rising Storm Beta" then it vanished from my Steam library and Ive had to re-download 20GB now of the "Rising Storm/Red Orchastra Multiplayer". Thanks for that devs!

Im glad to be playing a WW2 FPS again, it could be complete shite but i wouldnt really care at this point just to play something different. Thankfully it isn't bad and the Flamethrower is amazing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  Evo 5 RS
Have you knocked them on the head for good now?

D.

No mate, least not out of choice lol. Just don't get time these days. I get the odd couple hours to myself sometimes but I've still only played the first 30 minutes of Bioshock. No time for MP games :(

Changes to often
i was having a good bash the other night, well impressed, i forget how much attention to detail they go into like in RO2, no ammo counter so instead you check you clips manually, and changing gun barrels when you over heat them lol. Useing a tank and taking someone out with a HE round in a trench is rather satisfying too, guts and gore all over :cool:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Had another two rounds last night and got thoroughly owned - lol. SO much better playing with headphones on - especially as there's a lot of verbal chatter in this game, meaning that enemies can be heard long before they are seen.

D.

Nissan 350z
I managed to get Level13 last night and Level5 with the Flamethrower (unlocked Carbine as a starter weapon for it too). I have used nothing but the Flamethrower on every match i join, straight to Allies for some pyro fun. So satisfying! :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I managed to get Level13 last night and Level5 with the Flamethrower (unlocked Carbine as a starter weapon for it too). I have used nothing but the Flamethrower on every match i join, straight to Allies for some pyro fun. So satisfying! :)

The flamethrower is definitely the weapon of choice. But I like the fact that you have to be in relatively close to the enemy to have a chance of setting them alight. Otherwise they would be way to powerful. Excellent for storming a bunker or building though - just as they were intended.

​D.

Nissan 350z
Exactly! Its the first game that actually has volumetric mechanics for the flamethrower so it mimics IRL. For example if you spray the flames at a surface it bounces and fills the void so to speak. So you can fire it up into a bunker and the flames spread inside the bunker as they reflect off the surface onto the others. Its also a nice touch that the flames continue to burn on the surface for a couple of seconds after coming into contact, and not just being on/off shotgun affects like most games have.

Either way, its awesome :)