ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC/PS3/XB360] DiRT 3 - Official thread

At first I wondered how this possibly reviewed higher than DiRT 2, but after a few more hours it's coming together nicely.

Still don't think the pad controls are subtle enough for Gymkhana stuff though, I'm winning races and rallies no problem but barely scraping through the Gymkhana stuff...I guess it will come down to practice.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
really enjoying Gymkhana, did all the Battersea missions last night as well as completing the first lot of challenges.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
The menu system I find annoying, would have preferred something more like Dirt 2, but apart from that its easily as good as or better than Dirt 2.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Its not too bad. Been playing it for a few hours now, on my second season.

The menu design is terrible though. Really should have put more work in to it.

When i crash quite hard my screen goes all pixelated, loads of RGB. Don't think thats supposed to happen....

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182

When i crash quite hard my screen goes all pixelated, loads of RGB. Don't think thats supposed to happen....

Come on now.

i think it is a camera breaking type effect when you crash

It looked better on dirt2 tbh

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

It is supposed to happen, but yes, it is ghey.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
I'm having a nightmare trying to get platinum on the drift challenge. Nailed everything on play so far bar that one.

Any tips?

DCi
i take it you are going in a figure of 8 and not round the outside of the course...

i just tapped the handbrake before hitting each gate - make sure you get points off every single gate, including when you very first start (use handbrake for that again)

i cant do the donut one platinum :(

LY R26 #288
Mine arrived today!. Just about to have a go. Never played Dirt before so its a new experience for me!.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
What's the rallying like in it?

The original Colin McRae Rally games were amazing, 4.0 being the best imo, but when I played DiRT and DiRT 2 it seemed terrible.....cars too big for the roads, too easy to brake and turn.

Has it improved?

LY R26 #288
I've been playing it for about an hour and I'm enjoying it. Found the steering really sensitive at first but I'm getting used to it now. The only thing is I think the races should be longer. Their a little short.

But all in all I'm liking it.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
That's the nature of the game though, the races will get a bit longer as you progress.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Got this on the 360 yesterday, so got lumbered with the thumb-twiddler. To be fair, the amount of opposite lock I'm chucking in makes the analogue stick really quite useful to control the car(s) well - much more 'in control' than say on Forza 3 where I find I'm correcting then over-correcting a lot on the corners.

Jumped straight into the single player blat on Kenya with a Metro 6R4. Intiial impressions? Average at best. The whole car 'speed' felt like you were in a speeded-up Benny Hill sketch. It just didn't feel remotely realistic - more Wipeout than rallying. I stuck with it, changing cars but staying on the same Kenyian stage. The slower cars felt much better to drive, my favourite so far being the Integrale HF. I'd left the control settings to Intermediate until then and decided to have a go on Pro, again with the Integrale at Kenya. The result? 19 seconds taken off my time - lol. Pro is the way to go - it really is. The cars feel a lot more fluid with the assists off and predictable to boot. The 'assists' actually hampered a lot of quick progress imo - especially that throttle management control. Not needed! :)

I might get this for the PC, just for the increased eye-candy options and possibly the G25 input. But the 360 controller does work well with this, so I'm a little unsure.

8/10 from me.

D.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
You should have had the assists off in the first place Darren, it's the only way to play.

I use my PC with the 360 pad btw.

DCi
In dirt 2 you could just throw the cars into a corner and if you got it wrong you could just spin it round like there was no friction to stop you.

Now you have to get it right!! I'm using a wheel on PC though

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Played mine tonight for the first time.
Really liking it so far, as mentioned, took a while to get used to.

f**king love Gymkhana.
Been throwing round scoobys like a crazy c**t.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
anyone who says it's not as good as 2 just hasn't played it enough IMHO, it takes a while to get into it.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
The one major thing above all else that's putting me off, is the width of the rally courses (and the lack of length)

Rallying is no fun if you've got a strip of road as wide as the M25 to play with

BMW F31
The one major thing above all else that's putting me off, is the width of the rally courses (and the lack of length)

Rallying is no fun if you've got a strip of road as wide as the M25 to play with

The Michigan tracks aren't wide, there's some really tight sections that will see you on your roof if you don't hit the apexs right.

DCi

turn all the aids off, turn the difficulty up to top

then turn the HUD off and only use cockpit view - it's well good!

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Some of these fast sprint races are scary as fook!
Doing 130 between trees in the cockpit view and no driving aids ftw.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Few racing games get me selecting the 'Restart' option when I've done something wrong - but this one does! On one race on the career mode, I restarted it a good 8 or 9 times this afternoon, as I just wasn't happy with my stage time. Cracked it in the end though.

Nothing beats a subtle, long and drawn out drift around a sweeping bend - that lines you up pefectly for the exit of the bend. I'm slowly beginning to get the knack of the handbrake too. :)

D.

LY R26 #288
yeah you gotta go easy on the handbrake, when i first played it, every time i used the handbrake i ended up facing the wrong way lol

Trailblazer = Amazing

Loving the Pikes Peak cars, especially when you get them on the tarmac. Sensation of speed is fantastic, one of them (Rhys Millen I think) looks like you're piloting a Tie Fighter when in cockpit view.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Just spent 30 minutes trying to get platinum on Gymkhana sprint 03. Horrid stage for some reason. I've got 1st and plat on everything so refuse to move on until I get plat on is stage. Also nearly lost the controller a couple times lol

Just trying this YouTube thing out, takes forever sat in a queue to upload and its only a 30sec clip limit, most of the Gymkhana stuff is 1m and under so why not allow 1min??? Bit disappointed with the compression they use on the clips.

Really enjoying this game through. Fngers crossed the DLC will be half decent.

Gymkhana clip 1/2

Gymkhana clip 2/2

Last edited by a moderator:

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
anyone who says it's not as good as 2 just hasn't played it enough IMHO, it takes a while to get into it.

Id say 3 seasons is enough wouldnt you? And i still think DiRT is better, cars on this are awesome more realistic rally cars unlike DiRT2 BMW Z4, Nissan 350z and Mitz eclipse, GTF!

Yeah my thoughts, games good dont get me wrong but loads of things piss me off about it.

LY R26 #288
I was having a job to get even a gold medal on the gymkhana drift level. I had it on auto and it kept dropping into first when i didnt want it in that gear. Changed it to manual, much better for drifting. Much easier.
Managed to get gold but not sure how i'm going to get platinum.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
http://www.getgamesgo.com/Product/dirt-3

23.99 here

Going to pick it up on a whim

If it's s**t, I'm blaming Darren

FLOL! My download finished overnight (the beauty of having broadband that maxes out at 160kbs :() - so I'm having a bash on the PC version now. Will be interesting to compare it to the 360 controller too. Using that first, before using the G25. I'm suspecting the wheel configured with very light feedback will be epic for drifting.

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
here's one of my Gymkhana runs:

Nice one m8! Do you not find the uber-powerful rally cars just a little bit silly though? I used a 750bhp Scooby in some co-op head-2-head with my m8 and it was like playing with super-fast hovercraft.

Not tried the G25 on this yet, but the graphical improvements on the PC version are pretty clear. No jaggies and of course, the V-Sync option ensures that it's super smooth. It also appears to use a lot more dirt and dust on the PC version, imo...

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
They are a bit silly yeah, but the game has a nice balance of Gymkana/Drift events and Rally. Pure Rally games quickly lose my interest, Dirt seems to have a winning formula for me.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
This game is no good for your stress levels! When you finish behind the stage leader by less that a second, you feel compelled to beat it. The whole sequence of bends is then buggered by one tiny mistake and you have to do the stage again! My biggest issue is correcting the car to make it go straight at high speed. It's very difficult with the 360 controller to make small inputs, imo.

D.