ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC polish advice

Monaco 172 2/468
Hi guys,

I've done a decent bit of PC polishing now, and from what my car was, it looks loads better than it did. I've now decided that I want better though, as it's i'm sure I can do better.

I have been using the Sonus pads, 6" and 4", and SSR1 & SSR2.5

I've used the yellow (restore) pad with the SSR2.5 on the worst places, but it just doesn't seem to get rid of all the little swirls, they really are feint marks, so they should vanish

The pic doesn't quite show it up well, but that was after a good polish :

DSC00079.jpg

........so, what do I move to next for a better job

Cheers
Andy

RB 182
Sounds like you need to do more passes, I had the a similar problem and was told the number of passes needs to be about 10 (depends on the polish).

Monaco 172 2/468
Ah right mate, so how long should it take to polish a roof like that then, normally takes me 1-2 mins per section to work it in. Would probably do the roof in quarters

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Try Chemical guys spider web.

Starts off like a compound and breaks down as you use it.

It worked a treat on my Cup and the great thing is no need to use any other products.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Christ!!!, it takes me AGES to do a roof (properly ;)) After spreading the polish round (roof made into 1/4 sizes) i move the unit around 2" a second, and usually make around 10 passes or so with the menzerna range

CS Dungeon
Ah right mate, so how long should it take to polish a roof like that then, normally takes me 1-2 mins per section to work it in. Would probably do the roof in quarters

I split a roof into approximately 6 squares and work a square at a time. A family saloon roof takes me approx 1hr 30 mins - 3hrs depending on size, level of defect correction and paint type.

I start at speed 1 to spread the polish, 2 fairly quick passes

Speed 3 for approx 6 slow passes

Speed 5 for approx 4 slow passes

Speed 2 for approx 6 slow passes

Speed 1 for approx 4 slow passes

You should get a great finish from this procedure

You may want to invest in some Menzerna IP & FF polishes or Megs 80 & 83:)

Last edited:
  Monaco 172 2/468
Cheers for the advice guys

The Detailer - Is it ok to use the harshest pad for all that, what kind of pressure etc :)

I reckon I might change my products\pads, just something not quite right :eek:

CS Dungeon
Your pads are fine mate and to be honest your polish is fine too.

You just need to work the product for longer to get the full potential out of it.

I would start with the least abrasive pad with the 2.5 and step up the pad if this does not do anything.

Then use a clean less abrasive pad for the ssr 1 to finish, where I go down to speed 2 in the above process

I start at speed 1 to spread the polish, 2 fairly quick passes

Speed 3 for approx 6 slow passes - SSR 2.5

Speed 5 for approx 4 slow passes - SSR 2.5

Speed 2 for approx 6 slow passes - SSR 1

Speed 1 for approx 4 slow passes - SSR 1

106 GTi
Poorboy SSR's would aswell as the 80 and 83 though don't get the level of Gloss the Menzernas do, but will correct defects. Don't bin the SSR 2.5 off it works well.

As said above more passes, enough pressure that the machine does not bog down. Work the SSR until it almost starts to dust you will know it is worked enough then. I always do the bulk of the polishing at speed 6.

RB 182
Something I found useful was putting a black line on the backing plate so you can see how quick it is rotating to get an idea of the pressure that is being applied, as the line should rotate smoothly.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Poorboy SSR's would aswell as the 80 and 83 though don't get the level of Gloss the Menzernas do, but will correct defects. Don't bin the SSR 2.5 off it works well.

As said above more passes, enough pressure that the machine does not bog down. Work the SSR until it almost starts to dust you will know it is worked enough then. I always do the bulk of the polishing at speed 6.

Ditto! After spreading the polish and steppin up to speed 3 for a number of horizontal and vertical passes i'm straight onto spd 6!

3.02 is my polish of choice now, use it on all cars whether there new or old!

Monaco 172 2/468
Ok guys, thats great, thanks for all the help, i'll give it another blast then with the current gear. Although I think I might need some new pads, they don't clean up too well lol

What's the shelf like of the pads normally ? How do people clean them ?

Cheers

Mito Sportiva 135
Last a fair amount of time... I just clean in some warm water and fairy liquid, leave to soak for a good half an hour or more then residu comes off with a brush off and more soap solution then leave to dry naturally.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Ditto! After spreading the polish and steppin up to speed 3 for a number of horizontal and vertical passes i'm straight onto spd 6!

yep!!!! non this speed 4-5 poofyness :approve:

Real men use speed 6 ;)

106 GTi
lol !

Re cleaning pads I have some that are over 2 years old and as good as new. Soak them over night in some fairy liquid and water and then rinse the next day.

CS Dungeon

yep!!!! non this speed 4-5 poofyness :approve:

Real men use speed 6 ;)

Real men use a Rotary and have no need for speed 6;) :rasp: