ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC or MAC

On a serious note, one main thing that puts me off Macs, is that I don't know how usenet works on OSX. I'm talking essential apps, readers, PAR tools and WinRAR etc.

?

But who in the right mind would go spend £500+ on a mac when they have never used one?

To be honest thats why i want one, to try something new, and to be honest i hate Vista that comes with most new laptops. My brother works alot with computers fixing them, sets up massive networks and does computer forensics for the police. So he'll be able to point me in the right direction, he's told me to get one but i think thats just because he wants to use it:) .

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm the usual disliker of Macs, but to be fair the recent G5 and Macbook that we've bought for work have been really good bits of kit.

If you're after general usage and don't mind paying a little extra - I'd recommend the Mac.

Having said that, the price vs spec issue on some PC laptops these days are amazing. I guess a key fact is in the aesthetics of the laptop. Want it to look good? Buy a Mac. Not arsed? Buy a PC laptop... ;)

D.

Storm Grey 200
My PC broke so im using my G4 powermac, next month im getting a macbook pro, once you have had mac you wont go back, no joke.

That's because it's too hard to pull your head out of your arse.:quiet:

Funny, you should say that though. I've used macs on and off for 10 years. I've never ever wished to waste money on one.

visualize whirled pe
Some of the comments on here sound like little school children arguing over whether bat man would beat superman in fight.

The PC is a great, cheap all-rounder if you want to play games as well as do work it might be a better buy, however if it was my money, I'd spend it on a mac.

I've used both machines commercial design, I've owned my power book for 5 years and it is still superb. It's been dropped, knocked over, sat on by a variety of idiots over the years and it still works fine. My dad has been through 4 pc laptops in the same time, he wont learn, you buy cheap you buy twice; so far 1 IBM, 2 DELL's and his latest Samsung is being repaired now, the power connector internally bust and screen keeps shorting out and falls flat all the time! In my experience I have found the build quality and durability is better on Mac's.

If you are using the machine for design the mac is imo the only choice (99% of agencies, commercial printers and design companies use them. If you want to use a PC, go ahead, when something goes wrong with the cmyk colour settings expect them to blame you and your pc for the c**k up)

Take a look inside a mac, it's like alien technology compared to pc's, virtually no wires are on display and it clean, stylish and a well designed layout. The majority of Mac owners are designers so it has been built to look like it is well designed, the materials, components and user-friendliness make it the only choice of machine for me.
I specced up a £2k Mac pro G5 the other week, worth it for what you get if you ask me and I was excited about the possibility of buying one, where as pc's, well, I find them about as interesting as a concrete block so I would not in a million years even consider spending that sort of money on a one.

I specced up a £2k Mac pro G5 the other week, worth it for what you get if you ask me and I was excited about the possibility of buying one, where as pc's, well, I find them about as interesting as a concrete block so I would not in a million years even consider spending that sort of money on a one.
Sums up most mac users. Style over substance.

visualize whirled pe
Sums up most mac users. Style over substance.

^^?

I'm just saying the PC doesn't interest me, it just so happens the mac works better for what I do (and looks good).

I earn a living designing with my mac, I can assure you it is much better suited to the job than the previous PC's I've used. (and looks good)

Monaro VXR
This argument about macs looking better etc. Its still the same hardware inside still the same intel chips etc that a PC has...So your paying all that extra for a fancy case and some cable routing and OSX...That to me seems like a mighty rip off.

Even the software...most of it is available on the PC.

visualize whirled pe
it just so happens the mac works better for what I do
How so?

Good question, I suppose one reason is because I've used computers for design for over 10 years, 5 of which commercially and found the mac to be better for me.
Every design company worth their salt will have macs, and the industry is very mac friendly. In my experience, especially (but not limited to) working within printed media I have found using a PC causes some issues, often there are no probs but there is always that chance. If you have a mac it makes life easier.
There is nothing wrong when using design packages on a PC untill you come to work on them professionally and earn a living from design, then it makes sense to have a mac imo.

Mac owners, like PC owners, get fond of their platform after a certain amount of time, if my mac can't do the job well then I can't pay my bills.
I used to like the Atari ST for similar reasons, it was the music producers favourite tool and the backbone of midi production for many years, in some cases still is.

I know lots of designers who use PCs. Hell the two designers in our office use PCs, although the two in our other office use Macs. Using Macs doesn't make a design company any better than any other, it's just simply the case that that's the way the industry has gone, no more no less.

visualize whirled pe
In some cases that is true, I have worked for a computer games dev company and I used PC's there (but my boss didn't even know what industry standard pantones or CMYK are) all the techs used Macs for the video editing and fmv.
A web design company I worked for used PC's but that was design for screen and many of the freelancers used macs.

The latest project I am working on is being produced by two seperate publishers one is working on a book created on Mac's, the other using some Mac software not available on a pc, the end result will be a CD-rom that will be for use on a PC. The artwork is created by me using a Mac and the printer who reproduces the book also use Macs, so it makes sense to use a Mac we all see the same thing on screen, there is that way no margin for error.

I have freelanced for tons of graphics companies and visited so many printing companies where there were no pc's in site. It simply makes life easier sending cmyk files for print with artwork created on apple calibrated monitors set up in the same way to display specific pantones to the exact tone and hue as the printers and designers see on their screens.
The problems seem to always stem from people sending PC generated work with the wrong colour matches. That is why PC's are not the industry standard and why apple have their own industry standard colour calibration table.
Pick 20 high profile design for print companies at random and phone them, I bet at least 19 use Macs over anything else.
If that's the way 'industry the has gone' then IBM and the like have missed a trick not getting in on the act.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I still don't get how a MAC can be any easier to use, i turn my pc on load firefox/word etc how would a mac do this any better.

ANYTHING made by apple is for the image conscious. They are big, white and gay. If you want something that can do anything you could need and for less money than a Mac then get a pc. If you want something that is designed for people who want it to look pretty rather than be functional then buy a MAc. Usually those who buy macs dont really know much about pc's etc and just buy what all the rich boys are getting because its 'cool'.

Buy a PC and save some cash.

The problems seem to always stem from people sending PC generated work with the wrong colour matches. That is why PC's are not the industry standard and why apple have their own industry standard colour calibration table.
Pick 20 high profile design for print companies at random and phone them, I bet at least 19 use Macs over anything else.
If that's the way 'industry the has gone' then IBM and the like have missed a trick not getting in on the act.
Yes, IBM (why just IBM I don't know) should have made a pretty PC too.

That point above states what I said. It's the way the industry has gone. The Mac doesn't do anything the PC doesn't, it's just a lot of designers went with Macs and it became a standard. Doesn't make it any better. Betamax was a better standard than VHS, yet we all know who won.

Clio 182
ANYTHING made by apple is for the image conscious. They are big, white and gay. If you want something that can do anything you could need and for less money than a Mac then get a pc. If you want something that is designed for people who want it to look pretty rather than be functional then buy a MAc. Usually those who buy macs dont really know much about pc's etc and just buy what all the rich boys are getting because its 'cool'.

Buy a PC and save some cash.

I bought one after using a Mac laptop and seeing someone else's iMac. I hate going back to my work pc.

I still don't get how a MAC can be any easier to use, i turn my pc on load firefox/word etc how would a mac do this any better.

Because everything just works with a Mac, instantly.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My comp is 4+ years old, maybe take 2 seconds to load Firefox, how can it improve on that? Also gay animations, noises etc annoy me.

You crazy people.. PC vs Mac is SOOOOO last year.

OSX absolutle owns Vista as a desktop OS.. I've used both extensivly side by side.. but, my MBP is now being sold and I'm sticking with my Dell.. ;)

Why? Cus' I generally feel Windows works better for me.. so that's what I'm going to be using..

Loads times, spyware, viruses, pah.. not advantages to me, as none of it affects me on either OSX or Windows.
Using the thing does affect me..

You crazy people.. PC vs Mac is SOOOOO last year.

OSX absolutle owns Vista as a desktop OS.. I've used both extensivly side by side.. but, my MBP is now being sold and I'm sticking with my Dell.. ;)

Why? Cus' I generally feel Windows works better for me.. so that's what I'm going to be using..

Loads times, spyware, viruses, pah.. not advantages to me, as none of it affects me on either OSX or Windows.
Using the thing does affect me..
I think I'll go buy a Mac now.

visualize whirled pe
Yes, IBM (why just IBM I don't know) should have made a pretty PC too.

That point above states what I said. It's the way the industry has gone. The Mac doesn't do anything the PC doesn't, it's just a lot of designers went with Macs and it became a standard. Doesn't make it any better. Betamax was a better standard than VHS, yet we all know who won.

Well I mentioned 'and similar'. You can't have expected me to list all the companies that have made a PC.

The mac is the industry standard design machine for a reason, I'm confused though are you trying to say that one day 99% of the industry 'just' decided to start using them for fun or to be different and not because they found them to perform better at graphic applications?

Either way, it's debatable what is better at what now. imo they perform to a similar standard in similar areas and excell at others in equal respect. It is therefor a question of choice.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I bought one after using a Mac laptop and seeing someone else's iMac. I hate going back to my work pc.

Because everything just works with a Mac, instantly.

To be fair Karen, haven't you had quite a few issues with your Mac(s) in the past? ;)

What RichRSi says about the designers with Macs and making things easier, really does ring true. We have a few web firms and printers that send DVDs over for our G5 guy. We tend to have very, very few issues with anything that comes it. Open it up on the Mac and away he goes. That's not to say however, that we don't have similar situations with our PCs though!

D.

To be fair Karen, haven't you had quite a few issues with your Mac(s) in the past? ;)

What RichRSi says about the designers with Macs and making things easier, really does ring true. We have a few web firms and printers that send DVDs over for our G5 guy. We tend to have very, very few issues with anything that comes it. Open it up on the Mac and away he goes. That's not to say however, that we don't have similar situations with our PCs though!

D.

I think you'll find that was a HDD issue and lets face it you show me a machine made by any manufacturer that is 100% immune to that and I'll bare my ass on national TV.

I'd never go back to a PC by choice after having a mac now.

VaVa

D.

I think you'll find that was a HDD issue and lets face it you show me a machine made by any manufacturer that is 100% immune to that and I'll bare my ass on national TV.

You'd do that anyway! :approve:

172 Cup
My PC broke so im using my G4 powermac, next month im getting a macbook pro, once you have had mac you wont go back, no joke.

So so true had a mac for few years now never used one before spent about 1k on the latest iMac. fantastic for storing music and all the Adobe products. I dont like the fact that you cant easily have MS Word ( i got mine before it has PC software on it)

Now i have had a Mac, I wont go back!

Rav4
What I mean by that is that some of the comments on here are stupid.

Macs are excellent, just as PC's are, some people prefer the Windows architecture, and how it works, some people prefer OSX.

Macs are truly excellent for all aspects of design, however, some PC's render videos quicker than a Mac would do.

Yes the new macs run Intel chips, but this does not mean they are the same Intel chips that go into PC's, the designs are different, they way they are made are different, the bottle necks for the architecture are not the same as a PC!

I use both, PC for work 9-6, 5 days a week, I have to restart it at least once a day and it crashes all the time, I am not an average user, and I would say I am good on computers.

My Mac, I cannot remember the last time it crashed or I had to restart it, it does not slow down or have any issues, however, in terms of full functionality, I find the PC easier, but that is simply because I use them all day long, everyday.

It just depends on what you prefer, I have many, many clients who have used PC's for ages and tried a mac, would never go back to a PC, they find them so much easier to use.

For Games - PC's, without a doubt.

There are many alternative OS's out there, which can be just as good.

The excellent thing about the intel macs are both the dual boot and parallels, especially coherence on parallels, truly amazing piece of kit.

Another excellent thing about macs is the customer support!

Simply does depend on what the user requirements are.

Clio 182

D.

As above, was the hard drive when 2 weeks old - I may have posted about another problem on here but that was after I'd transported the Mac in the 182 when moving house, it had got a bit shaken about and the RAM just needed to be reseated as I found out from the Apple forum.

I'd buy another Mac next time. I had a LOT more issues with my Windows based laptop tbh.