ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC] Forza Motorsport 6

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, they do look completely out of place. There are a few little glitches on some of the particle effects that hopefully will be addressed.

Turn10 have done a very good job. They got Forza6 running beautifully on the Xbox One so I was expecting it to make a decent showing on the PC. With some decent programmers and artists, clever level / track design and sufficient time it shows what can be done.

As for the sometimes jerky rear view, this could be due to various things. I expect, when under load, the rear view may render at a lower frame rate than the main view (or they may be using some sort of dynamic optimisation that causes a slight stutter in the visuals when render states are changed on-the-fly in order to keep the overall frame rate on the main view as high as possible).

I'm looking forwards to playing the beta a little more and then getting the release version.

Sounds interesting m8. I wonder if they have the rear view rendered separately and put a much lower importance on it for the game - hence the frame rate issues when the performance starts to drop. Maybe I can even turn that rear view off in the options?

I ran nvinspect with this and GPU0 was sat in the mid 90% region constantly while the other three GPU cores were still in bed. Very impressive to see what can be squeezed out of hardware when a decent team and money is available.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds interesting m8. I wonder if they have the rear view rendered separately and put a much lower importance on it for the game - hence the frame rate issues when the performance starts to drop. Maybe I can even turn that rear view off in the options?

I ran nvinspect with this and GPU0 was sat in the mid 90% region constantly while the other three GPU cores were still in bed. Very impressive to see what can be squeezed out of hardware when a decent team and money is available.
Exactly that mate - the rear view is a separate render pass from a second camera. Whilst it may not seem like a big deal a rear view can add a lot of cost per frame (hence why many games / sims allow the option of turning it off). If you consider the main camera view then you have all these high-fidelity objects being rendered with complex shaders and special effects... but then the renderer has to switch to the second camera and render the rear view with high-fidelity objects and shaders, etc. Each frame is effectively being rendered twice albeit from two different viewpoints (if that makes sense).

Agreed - I take my hat off to Turn10. They have some good guys on the team who have spent many years solely working on consoles. They are used to developing on systems with limited resources (as opposed to well-spec'd gaming PC's) and have no doubt picked up some useful tricks and experience along the way.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
The last race of the tour back in Rio is pretty interesting, to pass it with a good score you effectively have to follow the leader for 2 laps then finish with a hot lap, did it this morning and it along with the rest of the experience is very rewarding, I've done all of the races now until they release more tomorrow.

Evo 5 RS
Exactly that mate - the rear view is a separate render pass from a second camera. Whilst it may not seem like a big deal a rear view can add a lot of cost per frame (hence why many games / sims allow the option of turning it off). If you consider the main camera view then you have all these high-fidelity objects being rendered with complex shaders and special effects... but then the renderer has to switch to the second camera and render the rear view with high-fidelity objects and shaders, etc. Each frame is effectively being rendered twice albeit from two different viewpoints (if that makes sense).

Agreed - I take my hat off to Turn10. They have some good guys on the team who have spent many years solely working on consoles. They are used to developing on systems with limited resources (as opposed to well-spec'd gaming PC's) and have no doubt picked up some useful tricks and experience along the way.

This game belts along on this 680GTX I have here.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've had a quick look, but am struggling to locate anything that says they are planning for a full version of 6 coming to PC. All I can find suggests that all future versions of the game would also include a PC version.

I've completed the first of today's new spotlight events, currently working on the 2nd one which is more challenging (Sebring).

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
My understanding is that Forza Motorsport 6 Apex is the only version coming to PC at the moment and it will remain a 'lite' edition of the game (i.e. i limited subset of cars and tracks). I do believe future games will be identical across platforms though and allow for PC vs. Xbox One online play (at least that was the aim).

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I can't get it to run on mine 😞

Admittedly I do only have a 2500K, 7850 2gb and 8gb ram.

Definitely time to upgrade!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm surprised its free tbh.
Yes, a bit of an unexpected move given the quality and what's on offer (despite being a cut down version of the game). Microsoft were/are keen to highlight their Win10 Store and herald their new gaming platform so I think that's why the deal was struck.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Had a quick look at this again today and had it running almost straight away.

Dynamic settings are on medium which still look pretty good tbf. No apparent frame rate drops which is nice.

I think this could be the end of me buying forza on the xbox.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I think this could be the end of me buying forza on the xbox.
Forza 6 on Xbox One is the full-fat edition and has many more cars and circuits (which may or may not appeal). But Apex is great for a freebie! If rumours are true then future Forza games may be identical across PC and Xbox One so I'd probably be going for the PC version, too...

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Now they've done this I really do hope they release the full version of future games on the pc, that's what would sway it for me. Constant demos wouldn't go down to well without something to follow them up.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Still enjoying this, but they seem to have f**ked it up a bit on the last release of events as the drift one won't complete for me despite hitting all the goals, also when playing free play it won't add any rival cars despite them clearly being selected.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Thanks for the heads-up, just bought it. However, word of warning it seems they are having server issues at the moment and you can't actually access any of the content!