ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC] 120hz Monitors

Evo 5 RS
It's just resolution and draw distance, bigger texture maps.. usual s**t. They said in a statement recently that they don't like coding for PC as it's a pain in the arse.. greedy f**ks.

If you reckon you can get a steady 60fps with max settings Roy you're having a bubble

Last edited:
I manage a pretty much constant 60fps. Why would I make that up? It does dip below from time to time, but for the most part is pretty solid.

It's actually in heavy NPC areas where it will dip. Leading me to believe I'm CPU bound in those situations. Maybe I should go for a more manly overclock :eek:

Evo 5 RS
I've seen low as 30 in some NPC areas, I've read recently that the engine is quite CPU dependent so your OC would mean that you'd be seeing a better frame rate than me anyway. It is a 3 year old CPU :(

That is until I get my new kit in a couple of weeks, w00t

Also, check this out; pretty weak :(

1321817195hYIBw7jIln_5_5.gif

Possibly. Mines a 2600k @4.4Ghz so not shabby. The only places I can think of where it always dips, is in parts of Whiterun and Solitude. It doesn't ever feel like a rendering restriction from my cards. Handles massive vistas and long draw distances without cracking.

Anyway it doesn't really matter as I've stopped playing it now.

I've only just seen that pic above. Yeah it seems clear that it's not coded for SLI optimisation at all. Shame.

With regards to the whole "PC games are just higher res console ports these days", the one recent breath of fresh air for me was Crysis 2 DX11. It showed that some developers do still care about the PC fanbase.

Yesh indeed. DX9 can still look very good though, if a little artificial compared to the best DX11 stuff.

Still perfectly serviceable though. Unless of course you're a PMSL3 owner looking for an Xbox argument. lol.

Been doing a lot more research and I'm almost decided on the Samsung 950D. Need to decide pretty quickly though, as I'd want it for the weekend and will be buying online. FFS.

Done. I shall report my findings over the weekend. Probs won't bother with 3D to begin with. Looking forward to 120hz motion TBH.

Monaro VXR
So definitely recommend getting a 120hz monitor then?

Thinking of picking up three BenQ XL2420TX's when they surface. 3D Vision 2 and have the transmitter built + glasses etc are included so seems like a good idea. Can only run 24" max with the 3 of them, simply don't have enough desk space for 27's + my big IPS display. Going to be a struggle getting the 3 24's and the 30 on the desk.

Well I can only comment on the Samsung, which I understand is especially fast, but motion on it is butter smooth in a way that has to be experienced rather than explained. Skyrim looks ridiculous. Every game appears to be running at like a thousand fps.

So, I realise this topic is a bit dull for most people, but for anyone interested, here is my mini-review of the samsung SA27950D. I like to complete my threads, in the interests of anyone doing searches in the future.

For a gamer, this is surely pretty much as good as it gets. Great vibrancy and brightness. Really white whites. Good contrast. Good blacks. Excellent motion handling. Very good viewing angles too, which is unusual for a TN panel. The design is fantastic, and the build quality is first rate. It makes a change for a gaming monitor to be this well put together. It's the 'Apple' monitor of PC gaming. Any super high quality PC is deserving of this design.

So, the negatives. It does indeed suffer from backlight blooming in both bottom corners. Not an issue for gaming, but potentially a problem for people watching 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies, as the black bars would definitely fill with bloom in a darkened room. It's also not compatible with Nvidia 3D Vision, and relies on other 3D software. I have not yet got into the 3D side of it, so can't comment on the impact of that. It's also expensive. I paid around £580 delivered, but IMO it is worth every penny. Some users may also prefer a higher resolution (this is 1920x1080) but personally I feel that 2560x1440 isn't a sustainable resolution for gaming at a reliable c.50-60fps. I'd hate a mental game to be released in the near future that forced me into using a non-native resolution.

Overall I'd say that not many gamers would be disappointed with this monitor. The 120Hz and 'fastest' refresh rate setting result in melted butter motion with anything running at decent frame rates. Skyrim is so smooth it's preposterous. It also has an ability to make 40-50fps look much smoother than it normally would.

10/10 from me as a 2D 120hz gaming panel. I'll experiment with 3D in due course.