ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC] 120hz Monitors

I'm thinking of upgrading my monitor. Specifically got my eye on the latest Samsung 3D unit.

I have a general question about 120hz PC gaming. I always use v-sync. I never ever ever ever play a game without it. However, as the frame ceiling would be 120fps, would I experience tearing if my machine can't render 120 frames? Not going to be an issue with the likes of Call of Duty, but games like Crysis and Skyrim have no hope of being afforded such a luxury.

I mainly want the monitor due to Samsung's mental motion smoothness with their current displays, but there's no point in using a 120hz mode if it means my PC is going to start tearing it all up.

Thoughts?

Evo 5 RS
Ok, first off what Samsung model are you looking at? The original 22" is a bit s**te. Terrible ghosting!

What sort of size were you thinking of? I'm quite content with the 23", but Asus have their Asus VG278H 27 on the way. Although it's almost £600.

The asus ones are by far the best in my experience, I've used the Samsung, the Acer and now the Asus. Used the Samsung as it was cheap in order to get into the fad, then sold it for the Acer which in turn was crap so exchanged it for the Asus.

The Asus VG236HE has the best colours by far and the least ghosting out of the 3 I've used. Even with 3D aside it's a great monitor.

Skyrim is suprisingly good in 3D actually, athough you have to lose the crosshair.

Nvision does hit FPS quite hard depending on the game you're playing, but tearing as far as I'm aware is only present when the frame rate exceeds that of the refresh rate, not the other way around. You won't have any problems there. Not note worthy for you but I found with 460GTX SLi that games that were quite taxing anyway were borderline unplayable with Nvision enabled. Especially at 1080..

You need a pretty hefty machine

I'm looking at the 27" 950D. It's supposed to be a bit of a weapon for gaming use. The only issue I'm reading about is an apparent inconsistency with the blacklight uniformity, but this isn't going to be a problem for anything other than extremely dark scenes, which are few and far between in most games I play.

Evo 5 RS
They all suffer from that really, the glasses overlay does mean you have to ramp the brightness up occasionally, although Nvision ready games accommodate this anyway. The Samsung I had is obviously quite old now so I'd expect the 950 to be a lot better, but having already used the Asus I'd be swaying towards that (personally).

Like I say though, I tried Skyrim in 3D last night just for a laugh - and was surprised how good it looks. Snow etc appears to be falling right in front of you and walking through the caves I started using first person for the first time, shitting bricks round corners. Despite what people say, it takes little to no time to adjust to the depth, and you can change on the fly. First off I was only using about 1/4 of the maximum depth - took maybe a week or 2 before I started using 3/4 (depending on the game)

Rambling... I honestly think it's the best thing to happen to gaming for a long time though tbh. It literally adds a whole new depth to SP experiences. MP is a different matter, not sure if it's just me but I just can't perceive the depth and aim fast enough to take out the lame c***s in BF3. :(

I've enjoyed quite a bit of console gaming in 3D so I know pretty much what to expect on that score. I played most of Black Ops in 3D on my PS3 (a mate's copy of the game) and also Crysis 2. I wouldn't really be buying it for that express purpose though. I agree that 3D gaming is the future. Games and CGI animated movies are what the technology is for, really. Live action in 3D looks a bit sucky.

FYI the 950D does not support Nvidia 3D. It uses TriDef software. I'm not really too clued up on those technicalities.

27"?

Pfft. I thought you guys were ballers. I have 27" on my workstation.

LOL. I very nearly decided to setup my old 42" plasma :eek:

TBH a 27" monitor offers more immersion than my 55" TV. It's the viewing distance innit. Also, once you start going bigger than that, you're into resolutions that simply aren't sustainable if you want to run the best games at 60fps.

Yes I can connect my PC to my TV, but I don't really want a megalithic PC in my lounge. Plus how would I use K&M on my sofa? It would also fill less of my field of vision, and thus essentially be smaller.

Evo 5 RS
3D Vision is superior, massively tbh

Ballers lol! Like Roy says you don't need a massive screen. In fact for gaming between 24" and 27" is ideal for PC, I don't see the fascination with having a f**k-off monitor.

They make PC monitors that aren't Dell?

I've been looking at the Dell 2711 but it's an IPS panel so maybe not ideal for gaming. It's also 2560x1440 which is into frame rate crippling territory in some games, and running an LCD monitor in non-native is super bent. I'd rather stick to 1920x1200 (or 1080 in the case of 16:9).

The main draw of the Samsung is the super slick motion and quick response.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I've got some Dell 24" jobby (1080p native res) that I use for gaming and it's perfect

It's one of the cheaper panels too. The only thing with Dell stuff is that the prices fluctuate weekly

They're also 60Hz and can't display 3D. Nice screens but not on my shopping list. Also, I currently roll with a 26" Samsung T260, so there's no way I'll be downsizing.

Monaro VXR
IPS are fine for gaming to be honest provided you get a decent one, same applies to TN panels. While they might advertise the 2ms response times, in all honesty you really need to see the monitor in motion as the response times on paper mean bugger all.

Seen 2ms TN panels ghost far worse than an 8ms IPS display. TN panels seem to range massively in terms of colour reproduction as well, so again worth seeing it in person. Some look quite good, others look crap.

Evo 5 RS
LOL. Honestly, I've not checked so couldn't give you any solid numbers - but this is mainly due to the fact that I've not ever had to turn it off due to low frame rate. Witcher 2 with 'uber sampling' was a bit of a no no, but that's a one off as it's a stupid feature (something like 32x)

On your hardware and at either 1080 or 1200 you shouldn't have a problem. Your CPU at your oc will be faster than my current setup anyway.

TN panels are cheap as chips to make, point is people are throwing in suggestions which aren't up to 3D lmao.

Also response time in GENERAL means f**k all nower days. It's not really an issue anymore.

Thanks. I ask because I've read that technically it should halve the frame rate. I was just wondering if this is the case in practise. It would appear not. I'm super fussy. Anything less than 60 and I'm not happy. 40 I can live with but 30 looks like a slideshow to me.

That Asus seems to get good reviews and seems an ideal solution for an Nvidia user who wants to go 120hz and 3D. I'd be up and running in no time without having to install any 3rd party software. Skyrim in 3D sounds immense.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Cheers for the info. Do they make any that look nice nowadays?

I'm used to PC monitors that are made from plastic and generally look cack.

Evo 5 RS
alot of em have ugly bezels tbh. I think the whole fascination with the Dells is partly because they actually look quite nice. Obviously they're not bad panels either

Roy, I'll do a couple of tests for you later. I'd be interested to see myself... you'd also be getting the mk2 glasses, which are an improvement apparently with the light boost technology (shrug). Theres been a few complaints that the batteries on the mk1 glasses don't hold their charge after being put to good use, but I put that down to folk leaving them on charge, as they don't have any safety cut off

This is the Samsung I was looking at. It's the exception that proves the rule. Most gaming monitors look a bit rubbish IME.

samsung-950-a.jpg

Evo 5 RS
Skyrim test as promised; note that Skyrim has no official support anyway. Also, the games being patched tomorrow - so performance may improve

I'm selling my i7 965 in a week, so I've taken it back to stock - all done at 3.2Ghz

Without 55FPS

With 51FPS

Without 41FPS

With 40FPS

Indoor seems to take a larger chunk even though the frame rate is obviously substantially higher.

Without 92FPS

With 60FPS

]

Pretty much decided to buy either the Asus or the Samsung. I think the sammy is probably going to be a better overall monitor, and it looks slick too, which is exactly what my system needs to compliment my epic Lian Li case. Its major weakness though is the lack of Nvidia 3D Vision support. I probably need to do some more reading up on TriDef before deciding. Although I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that Nvidia's technology is going to be better. It's just a shame that the Asus looks a little cheap and nasty (in pics at least).

No troll, but the PC version of Skyrim doesn't look that much better.

BF3 is a different story.

The biggest difference is the resolution, which no one can see from resized jpegs, and 60fps if you have a good setup. More anti aliasing and generally slightly better textures, particularly in the distance. There's also a fair chunk more vegetation, and the draw distance is better.

The PS3 version looks awful. Think they enabled the blur chip.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, but it's not as big a difference as you'd think. Having played both now, it's not the normal jump between 360 and PC.