ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pay-to-drive Racing?

Swift Sport
Well I know there's talk at Curborough about the inclusion of the HANS device, and Motorsport doesn't get any smaller than Curborough.

WRX
Hans devices will be needed in most forms of motorsport next year apart from things like roadgoing hillclimb class where you keep original interior. So circuit racing even at club level will require them. Like me, you don't need a tow car and trailer when you drive the racecar to the circuit. Look on gomotorsport.net or msv has guidance on getting your race licence which with your test is about £300. Getting your race outfit minimum will be about £800 inc hans, helmet, gloves, boots and suit. You need FIA 8856-2000 compliant kit and Snell 2010 helmet with hans clips.

Shogun clio 172 ph2
Get non race nat b bout £43. Join clubs bout £15 year. Hans or fhr device helmets from £150 are not needed in road going sprint and hillclimb classes because they dont work with a normal seatbelt so u can have belt or harness. Dont need a cage in roadgoing either and drive ot there so mot etc. Or modified classes u can drive an motd one or trailer if ot if not. In modifieds they r changing things with they way harnesses/cages r in cars too. Luckily i am fine or b game over i think!. No trailer or tow car needed if dont want either. Clubs r great way to get into it and very nice and helpful folk too. Also u r on track urself. I do it on a budget. Got new helmet with hans few months ago. Suit got used like new off ebay £50! My cliosport which was less than £1500 is motd etc so drive it there but in modified classes. And do track stuff too. I am on tight budget but having fun too. So go do it cheap for a year at least....enjoy!

Renault Clio 172
Best time for you to do it would be now as you dont have as many outgoings as when you get your house, you sound like your in the same situation as i was in a couple of years ago and i chose the house option.. now im trying to figure out how to go racing on a much smaller budget, ive looked into the bmw compact cup and the 750mc mr2 championship, both are fairly cheap to do compared to other series as the cars are fairly standard spec...
Rogue motorsport do an arrive and drive deal in the mr2 championship, try giving them a ring.

http://www.roguemotorsport.com/

Just to point out while your at it, sprinting is about the most expensive club motorsport there is ,on a £ per mile basis .

Swift Sport
That's a good point... I've just spent the day with two sprint championship competitors and they're trying to sway me towards sprinting lol.

Best bang for buck is Karting

But dont think its easy or cheap, but you could certainly run yourself with a box trailer and an easi up.

Swift Sport
Well I'm already a member at Curborough so I'm already using their circuit on a regular basis for next to nowt, so despite liking the idea of competing there it is kinda pointless from a financial perspective.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Which hillclimbs or sprint circuits can be completed in 30 seconds? Most take more like a minute for a good car and driver, except in Formula 1 engined swb open wheelers of course but then you are talking very serious money indeed. My biggest costs in hillclimbing have always been the entry fees: at some lesser meets such as Scammonden, you can get twelve runs in a day, and after 10 runs or so your performance will usually tail off
because the necessary intense concentration( I have a 300BHP kitcar with no LSD) will have taken its toll.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Which hillclimbs or sprint circuits can be completed in 30 seconds? Most take more like a minute for a good car and driver, except in Formula 1 engined swb open wheelers of course but then you are talking very serious money indeed. My biggest costs in hillclimbing have always been the entry fees: at some lesser meets such as Scammonden, you can get twelve runs in a day, and after 10 runs or so your performance will usually tail off
because the necessary intense concentration( I have a 300BHP kitcar with no LSD) will have taken its toll.

12 runs a day!?!?? We're lucky if we get 4!

Mamhead record was something like 20 seconds. There's a video of a mini doing it in 23.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
I have had an LSD+ necessary bits under my workbench for 10 years but never had time to fit it(fuel tank out, diff out, driveshafts to change, brakes to change from drum to discs) and anyway I rather enjoy driving a wild tail-wagging thing, wheel-spinning and using my rear tyres as the clutch off the line.