ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pass Plus

MINI Cooper S
Did a search and couldnt find anything so sorry if its a repeated topic. Been driving since early November but never got time to my pass plus, im 18 now, is it worth doing? What are your experiences on insurance price drops due to having pass plus? Any feedback is appreciated:star:

Can only speak for my company, but it is only taken into account if you have no ncd and the discount is on a pro rata basis.

When did your current policy start and roughly what is your premium? If it started in November, you will only get 4 or 5 months worth of the discount (20% with us for under 21s) so you will need to be saving roughly 2.5 to 3 times the cost of the pass plus over the year (about £120, so ~£300 saving?) so you need to be paying about £1500 for it to still be worth while.. if that makes any sense?

Edit: To simplify, ring your insurer, ask what it will knock off your premium for the rest of the year if you do it, then look at the cost of doing it.

- there, that was much easier..

Last edited:
  Leon Cupra R 225
I did it :) Knocked £287 off my 1st insurance policy on a mk1 1.2 Clio Oasis back in 2004 when I passed. Only think it counts towards your 1st insured car but hey ho I always mention it to the insurance company now, iirc it's a field on Bell.co.uk/Admiral - two insurance companies I have used since driving

My pass plus was only £70 as the police paid the other £70.

Haven't had my insurance redone since I took pass plus, but I did get to drive a Civic 1.6 to Shotts and back and I loved the car :D

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
it saved me 150 on my 1.2 which was then 1200 quid so imo not worth it. not sure what it saved on the 172 as i didnt get a before quote.

i just done it because it was free.

BMW M135i
Saved me pretty much feck all tbh but it was worth doing for the experience imo, i'd recommend it just for that.

Golf GTI 1.8T
mine went from 1500 to 1200 one my mk2 ph1 1.4 sport 2 years ago. well worth doing.

172 Race Car
There about £5.99 a packet in my local chemist.......................

Oh wait.............. 'Pass plus' ;)

1.2 16V Dynamique
Hey. I passed driving test in December 2005, 3 months after my 19th birthday. Got a 1.2 16V Dynamic 04 plate. Done PassPlus about Spring 2006, with the course costing £160. My council paid £120 of it for me. I'm the owner and sole driver of the car and Direct Line full comprehensive was about £1200!!! After completing PassPlus I saved about £250 on my insurance which was well worth it. I felt I didn't learn too much from the course though, probably because where I live.

Smye

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
It will generally save you a bit of money with your insurer (AFAIK, most insureres tend to treat it similar to 1 years NCB), knocked about £300 off mine 5 years ago.

If nothing else, it is good practice, and that is the only thing that will make you a 'better' driver. I was on the motorway the day I passed my test (Uncle got banned so I kinda became his chauffer for a while, lol), but some of my mates didn't go on the motorway for upto a year after passing their test, and it was terrifying being on the M/W with them. Far too close to things, driving like they are in a town, weeving in and out of traffic etc.

Just my 2p worth.

Trophy 007
very very worth doing. even more so because prudential (and maybe others) give you an automatic one yr NCB. quotes from other companies on my old 1.4RT came out at over £1300, but with pru with my pass plus........ £690!!!! saved me a mint, it was third party but hey car was worth nothing anyway